• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Funny you should mention the posters - I posted this in another thread the other week:

I loved the old weeklies, especially the long ways ones. They're part of my comic history, my first introduction to Marvel and Spider-Man. 

It's funny.... as I go through these, the first thing I do is go to the centerfold to see the awesomeness there.  Some have amazing art that I have never seen before. 

Many times the CF has nothing to do with any of the stories inside.  

I'll wager a lot of these CFs got plucked and colored by the kids buying them.

WHO OWNS the original art from these CFs???  It would be cool original art to collect.

6 hours ago, gadzukes said:

It's funny.... as I go through these, the first thing I do is go to the centerfold to see the awesomeness there.  Some have amazing art that I have never seen before. 

And the additional filler covers - some wonderful art there too Gadzukes - another post from elsewhere:

On 4/14/2020 at 11:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice :)

They were fabulous comics weren't they Mikey, our old UK weekly reprints. The longways ones with the posters in the centre were things of beauty:

129.thumb.jpg.83901c1448bfa357c88672b89bb2d9eb.jpg

The unique covers, to fill in the gaps where US issues were split across multiple issues:

132.thumb.jpg.8612c0b327dd38e5b49c31d687411445.jpg

And the old paper stock covers:

1438018370_SMCW44.thumb.JPG.162d7435fecc4d7bc02a09c49dcff904.JPG

Loved em :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And the additional filler covers - some wonderful art there too Gadzukes - another post from elsewhere:

That Super Spiderman 178 (ASM 129) also has the Marvel Spotlight 28 Moon Knight story, which according to GCD came out the same month here in the US.  

I might have to save a few of these that have key issues.  My 178 is in super high grade shape.

I like the "blood" on the Punishers face.  Looks to be a printing defect on all of them.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

To all those in the UK who read this thread, can you check your collections, records and memories and tell me whether any of you have a copy of, or can recall seeing another copy of this comic in pence:

104.thumb.jpg.f46e1c9fc44d6b13837e325cf829d8e9.jpg

It's the last pence cover month - December 1981 - and I have only ever seen this one copy.

I know it's a reprint title, and the numbers produced may therefore have been low, but one copy in ten years seems odd to me. 

A pence copy is on its way to me curtesy of ebay. I was rather surprised there were two other bidders and bidding was fierce, I was eventually bid up to £3 plus postage. A bargain as it must be rarer than Amazing Fantasy #15. 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

That Super Spiderman 178 (ASM 129) also has the Marvel Spotlight 28 Moon Knight story, which according to GCD came out the same month here in the US.  

I might have to save a few of these that have key issues.  My 178 is in super high grade shape.

I like the "blood" on the Punishers face.  Looks to be a printing defect on all of them.

I think it's just naff colouring Gads - all copies had it:

Capture.thumb.PNG.1caa324aa08956d01d39a85ff8336685.PNG

1 hour ago, Garystar said:

A pence copy is on its way to me curtesy of ebay. I was rather surprised there were two other bidders and bidding was fierce, I was eventually bid up to £3 plus postage. A bargain as it must be rarer than Amazing Fantasy #15. 

Glad you won it Gary - we know at least two copies exist now!

Your next task....

103.thumb.jpg.93cb111146b234c7fc07fe8eaca5aff0.jpg

I posted a comparison a while back between the UK reprint of ASM #96 and the original book, and a debate ensued regarding the 'extra' art that features to the right of the UK cover. 

When you add Marvel Tales #77 into the mix, we see additional art to left. 

96.thumb.jpg.d796eaff40e754f6e2ccfec69f35b100.jpg  130.thumb.jpg.4178ae95b43dbd552b7c6d1e781b7667.jpg 1047792405_s-l1600(7).jpg.ced5a6ec5144ad91b6a666c6504b0ffb.jpg 100  Spider-Man Original Comic Book Art ideas in 2020 | comic book artwork,  comic books art, spiderman

I've lost track on what's what now :grin:

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

I prefer to think of it as BLOOD. 

Punisher has gone full crazy.  Smearing the blood of his victims on himself.

It's even worse inside - he's caked in it. And you thought they were B&W only interiors...

20190713_155036_LI.thumb.jpg.c1b59e2ce48e67b46a859c913829ad43.jpg

39 minutes ago, Garystar said:

DE1EC791-04BB-4FAA-83DF-6077F1CCB882.thumb.jpeg.fbdba7c3bf54e7712f783adcf15b3b69.jpeg

Excellent! Now we know at least two copies exist, Gary :)

Amazing really isn't it, how hard some of these later issues are to locate. I've been looking through the Marvel files recently and am constantly surprised how few copies I've seen of certain books - some early, some late in the UKPV production line like this one. There are still a good number of books that I have only ever seen one copy of in all my years of researching. That's not to say that they aren't out there, squirreled away in private collections, but if your life depended on finding some of these you'd be in deep trouble....

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Amazing really isn't it, how hard some of these later issues are to locate.

Amazing, Dolores, and frustrating. :pullhair:

I meant to ask earlier, but do you have any objection to me pinching any of your scans from the threads? I'm going to try to crop them to within a micron of their lives & upload them onto GCD. I'll credit you, of course, but it's the only way I'm likely to get a scan of My Girl Pearl 7, Patsy & Hedy 70 & 71, Battle 70, etc., etc. Some of these are like rocking horse poop. :wishluck:

1 minute ago, rakehell said:

Amazing, Dolores, and frustrating. :pullhair:

I meant to ask earlier, but do you have any objection to me pinching any of your scans from the threads? I'm going to try to crop them to within a micron of their lives & upload them onto GCD. I'll credit you, of course, but it's the only way I'm likely to get a scan of My Girl Pearl 7, Patsy & Hedy 70 & 71, Battle 70, etc., etc. Some of these are like rocking horse poop. :wishluck:

Pinch away, Penelope. I'd do it myself but the process is too painful!

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Pinch away, Penelope. I'd do it myself but the process is too painful!

Cheers, pal. I think I've developed muscle memories for several of their more pedantic idiosyncrasies. I'm going through the lists & adding variant edition issue skeletons (& cover scans when I have them) for everything that's missing. Currently up to Rawhide Kid in the Marvel table. I think I'll be certifiable by the time I get to the Charltons. :insane:

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I keep hearing that the government has declared war on variants.

They won't take mine without a fight!

My trench is dug, my sandbags are in place and my tin hat is on, over my cap, so let 'em come!

:bigsmile:

It is quite weird to hear the word variant bandied about so much now isn't it. Hey, that's a comic word - give it back!

37 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I keep hearing that the government has declared war on variants.

They won't take mine without a fight!

My trench is dug, my sandbags are in place and my tin hat is on, over my cap, so let 'em come!

This is one case where I'll be perfectly happy if the variants are super rare and hard to get!