• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mec3437 said:

Thank you, sir.  I also just noticed this thread was moved to the SA section.

Although the Marvel pence copies straddle silver and bronze, it's the silver age that has all the excitement, all the quirks, all the nuances. So I moved the thread there, the age where it all started. CG has completely lost its way now anyway and looks more like the WC every day. Its not where I wanted this thread to be anymore.

Hi, Marwood,

Remember how, in the dim and distant past of this thread, your valiant attempts to convince the naysayers, particularly the less nimble-brained portion of our Transatlantic brethren, that the UKPVs should be on an equal footing with the cents versions?

The advantage that we then held was that there was a price differential, in our favour, on the UKPVs.

There has subsequently been some levelling up, but here is a recent development.

I spotted this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marvel-Comics-VG-18-3-5-KIRBY-TALES-TO-ASTONISH-1960-Gorilla-strikes-again/373391989104

There was a fault not noted in the item description, namely a mark where the price should be. I reckoned it was a pence version, and I already have a perfectly adequate pence copy, but there was also a chance that it was a cents font variation, so I messaged the seller as follows:

I am looking at this, cannot quite see the detail at top right. Is the price crossed out in ink or something?

Could you send a sharper scan of top right corner, please?

Back came the reply:

Hi someone has just marked out where the cent price used to be

Still not happy, I followed up with:

Thank you.

Could it be a pence copy?

There are several cent versions of this listed on ebay, and each of them has the price a bit nearer the edge than this copy here.

In the meantime, because I had placed it on my watch list, ebay sent me an offer with a discount down to £41.

Then I received this follow up reply:

Hi
Yes it is a pence copy , it says inside,page" sole distributors in the UK Thorpe and Porter"
Thank s

No good to me then. Overpriced to begin with, and now with a blemish on the cover.

So what will the seller do? Reduce the price to take account of the fault on the front cover?

Not a bit of it. Here it is relisted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlas-Marvel-comics-Tales-to-Astonish-18-VG-3-5-1961-Gorilla/233833423138?hash=item36718ee122:g:KvYAAOSwvi5f5FS9

With an INCREASED price.

Looks like you have done your job too well, Marwood.

Lemember ancient Chinese plovelb, 'Be careful what you wish for'.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Lemember ancient Chinese plovelb, 'Be careful what you wish for'.

Harrow Albert,

Badds have a lot of nice old pence copies as it goes. But they also have a habit of changing up their prices if I recall correctly. Show a bit of interest and up they go. Maybe I'm being unkind though, and confusing them with someone else.

To be clear, I've never been fussed about the financials. The parity I have sought down the years is about equal recognition - the first printing / not a reprint thing. Did I succeed in that? I dunno. CGC is an American thing and we're on the periphery, lets face it. Probably always will be.

Hope you're having a nice Christmas :)

1 hour ago, Iron Man 63 said:

A few more from the old boy's collection:

135017094_400631991167448_6492703085122916486_n.jpg

Always nice to see Rommbu getting in on the nine-dee act :)

24 minutes ago, Iron Man 63 said:

Difficult to see who would pay that premium given the sold price ranges for 9.0's and such. There's a 9.6 UKPV on the census so it's not even the highest pence copy. I find it vaguely ridiculous myself but there you go.

21 hours ago, Iron Man 63 said:

A few more from the old boy's collection:

135017094_400631991167448_6492703085122916486_n.jpg

Lovely books. I do so enjoy looking at these wonderful pence variant collections.
Who is "the old boy", have I missed something?

20 hours ago, Iron Man 63 said:

I'm glad that I have been slowly selling off my collection over the past few years. I just could not afford to be a buyer in today's market.

38 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Just watched latest ComicTom on utube - they are talking about pence copies (in a fairly positive way) in light of the WWBN sale. 

I just watched it. They say four of the last five pence WWBN #32 9.4 sales went for over $10k. Maybe the comparative scarcity is finally hitting home? 

4 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I must be a doofus. I've tried searching you tube for this but with no success. Any chance of a link?
Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Wow Batman #181 = $90,000, makes me want to dig mine out lol 

Indeed. And Li'l Genius #31 for 23 pence. We're in the money Kev I tell you my son, we're in the money.