• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Now, while you're showing off, have you got one of these Albert?:

Never crossed my path. If it had, I would have scorned it, and left it to the next peruser.

It has recently been a source of great regret that my tunnel vision in my earlier days left many, many treasures unsnapped up in my wake.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Never crossed my path. If it had, I would have scorned it, and left it to the next peruser.

It has recently been a source of great regret that my tunnel vision in my earlier days left many, many treasures unsnapped up in my wake.

I resemble that remark Albert. I wish I'd cast the net a little wider too now...

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

My eyes have now been opened, too, but 'too late, too late was the cry'.

Any info on how long Millers had to carry on stamping before they got the job done at the other end?

I don't follow you Albert. What dost thou mean? What is this 'job at the other end' of which you spake?

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't follow you Albert. What dost thou mean? What is this 'job at the other end' of which you spake?

Eventually Marvel/Atlas would have printed the 'produced in USA' info, thus relieving Miller of the responsibility.

How long were the stamped versions in circulation? Just the first month or longer?

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Eventually Marvel/Atlas would have printed the 'produced in USA' info, thus relieving Miller of the responsibility.

How long were the stamped versions in circulation? Just the first month or longer?

Got ya. Only the first three months - May, June and July - as those issues had the Miller only indicias with no US details. After that, the Miller details sat below the US indicia details, removing the need for any stamp. 

In practice, the stamp should only appear in these four:

lm.thumb.PNG.eb4f703d55d9f7579f2e11789be3fe89.PNG

I have examples of the same book - one with an internal stamp, one without. So it was random anyway Albert.

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

80p.thumb.jpg.9305c0c6fe6c28cb8cab0ed9b766bf0b.jpg

....the 15c one was printed to go to the US newsstand, where it would have remained for a period before being returned as unsold.

....and if T&P didn’t sell it here for 1/- they could try again for 3 1/2p. We need to find a collector in 1969 who actually cared if the comics were UKPV or stamped, I suspect like Albert has said most readers wouldn’t have cared/noticed/remembered. 
55BB7210-B69B-47DF-BBFF-B415C09B2C71.thumb.jpeg.eb999cc147602d7210db43080819892f.jpeg

10 hours ago, Garystar said:

....and if T&P didn’t sell it here for 1/- they could try again for 3 1/2p. We need to find a collector in 1969 who actually cared if the comics were UKPV or stamped, I suspect like Albert has said most readers wouldn’t have cared/noticed/remembered. 

Yes. The silly old duffers completely let the side down by not making exhaustive notes, didn't they Gary :bigsmile:

On 2/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Cor, is that your copy Albert? Mythical that book is, at Marwood Towers! :cloud9:

Wyatt, Wyatt, come out wherever you are!

Gawsh, pardner, ya got me, after hiding in plain sight for over 40 years, on page 16 of Alan Austin's price guide of February 1979.

comicwyatt.jpg