• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I miss the days when the discovery of a new Marvel UKPV was still a possibility. And the days when this thread would chug merrily along.

If any more turn up my bet would be Journey Into Mystery (Vol 2) #19 or Where Monsters Dwell #38. Both of these series had the previous few issues distributed then the last issue went ND - just like Sgt Fury.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:05 PM, Garystar said:

If any more turn up my bet would be Journey Into Mystery (Vol 2) #19 or Where Monsters Dwell #38. Both of these series had the previous few issues distributed then the last issue went ND - just like Sgt Fury.

I'm going to say that they definitely wont, Gary.........

Capture.PNG.fd6f91ac17839192db4b9b2f801d6b69.PNG

....in the hope that they immediately will :bigsmile:

On 11/26/2023 at 10:18 PM, Garystar said:

I remember we were debating how UK distribution of last issues were quite often a reverse of preceding issues distribution and mooted this as one which might turn up and low and behold it did. 

Yes, I've noticed that too.  Most commonly, the last issue is ND, but in some cases a previously ND title shows up for the last issue.  Usually it's the horror titles (Chamber of Chills, Supernatural Thrillers, Crypt of Shadows, Vault of Evil, Tomb of Darkness, World's Unknown) but also Human Torch & Rawhide Kid. 

Edited by Malacoda

On 11/27/2023 at 2:05 PM, Garystar said:

It could that if the PV's were a % of the print run and the US print run was significantly decreased for the last issue, then the number of PV's printed was tiny, the number sold teeny and the number that survived teeny weeny. 

Another factor might be sudden unexpected cancellation. Many comics announce their last issue as you'd expect:  ST #188 last panel says 'follow Dr Strange in his own title and in the Defenders' so seems to indicate this is the last issue.  Sgt Fury #167, Machine Man #19 and Adventure Into Fear #31 announce it on the cover, COTL #37 contains a letter from Dave Kraft explaining it's the last issue.  Amazing Adventures #39 has a farewell letter. Kazar #20 also announces it on the letters page, and so on. 

However, many cease unannounced often actually indicating there will be a next issue: Captain Savage was ND, went distributed again with the last issue and gives no indication it was being cancelled - the letters page encourages readers to keep writing in. Captain Marvel #19 gives no indication it was the last issue, #21 says it's going on hiatus pending sales results, #62 looks like it was cancelled suddenly. Says there will be a next issue, then a note on the letters page says it's the last issue but will return in Marvel Spotlight v2.  Marvel Spotlight v1 also announces its closure and says it will continue in 2 in 1 (meaning the Deathlok story, unfortunately). 

Nothing indicates that Rawhide #151 or Nick Fury #18 would be the last issues. Doc Strange Strange #183 & Silver Surfer #18 actively advertise the next issue.  Where Monster's Dwell #38, Western Gunfighters #33 & Outlaw Kid 30 all cease with no mention (although these were reprint issues with no letters page), likewise Where Creatures Roam #8. 

It might be that some last issues get PV's in a desperate attempt to either boost sales or offload a dead 'un. But it might also be that some get PV's in a move to boost sales NOT KNOWING it would be the last issue and then it got cancelled anyway.  

BTW, not rel, but the award for most well orchestrated exit surely goes to Son of Satan.  Issue #7 was the last issue, and announced as such on the letters page, but it then says that there is an inventory story they would love to use up so there might be an 8th issue.  This then happens, with it being explained that this was a leftover, but it means that the very last issue of SOS has a letters page addressing the last issue, which must be unique. 

On 11/27/2023 at 6:02 PM, Malacoda said:

ST #188 last panel says 'follow Dr Strange in his own title and in the Defenders' so seems to indicate this is the last issue. 

Strange Tales #188 is another which might exist as a pence (but probably not). MSH bucks the trend with the last but one and two issues turning up as rare pence issues. 
As an aside my favourite title Silver Surfer had Herb Trimpe lined up as penciler for #19.