• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A man after my own heart. The original title to this thread was actually "Marvel First Printing Pence Priced Variants". I got admin to change it as it just seemed to go on too long. The title, not the thread that is :grin:

It seems that CGC is somewhat behind the curve in acknowledging  these variants because as long ago as 2010 these were recognised in Overstreet  40 when Senior Overstreet Advisor Jon McClure introduced the term “Type 1A Price Variant” in his article “A History of Publisher Experimentation and Variant Comic Books”:

" Type 1a Variants: Cover Price Variants intended for foreign distribution with limited regional distribution, published simultaneously with standard or regular editions. The indicia and all aspects of the book, except for the cover price and sometimes the company logo, are identical to regular U.S. editions. One example is the Marvel Pence Price Variants, with the Marvel All-Colour Comics cover banners. Other examples include the Canadian Gold Key and Whitman Cover Price Variants".

Although "Type 1a variant (UK)" or "Type 1a variant (Pence)" both sound a little clunky they would be my preferred choice of nomenclature.

16 minutes ago, Redshade said:

It seems that CGC is somewhat behind the curve in acknowledging  these variants because as long ago as 2010 these were recognised in Overstreet  40 when Senior Overstreet Advisor Jon McClure introduced the term “Type 1A Price Variant” in his article “A History of Publisher Experimentation and Variant Comic Books”:

" Type 1a Variants: Cover Price Variants intended for foreign distribution with limited regional distribution, published simultaneously with standard or regular editions. The indicia and all aspects of the book, except for the cover price and sometimes the company logo, are identical to regular U.S. editions. One example is the Marvel Pence Price Variants, with the Marvel All-Colour Comics cover banners. Other examples include the Canadian Gold Key and Whitman Cover Price Variants".

Although "Type 1a variant (UK)" or "Type 1a variant (Pence)" both sound a little clunky they would be my preferred choice of nomenclature.

Ben Noble and I collaborated with Jon late last year on an update to his Overstreet article and we agreed upon revised titles, noting that 'Type 1a' didn't jump off the page as a recognisable descriptor. You should see reference to it in his next Overstreet report and it should also include a summary from me on the pence numbers for the seven known publishers :wishluck:

The revised Type 1A wording shows on Ben's site and is:

Type 1A: U.S. Published Foreign Distribution Variants

Cover Price Variants intended for foreign distribution with limited regional distribution, published simultaneously with standard or “regular” editions. In the majority of cases, the indicia and all aspects of the book are identical to regular U.S. editions except for the cover price. In some instances other alterations may be present. These may include missing or different cover dates, regional indicia details and variant company logos. Other minor alterations may also be present.

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ben Noble and I collaborated with Jon late last year on an update to his Overstreet article and we agreed upon revised titles, noting that 'Type 1a' didn't jump off the page as a recognisable descriptor. You should see reference to it in his next Overstreet report and it should also include a summary from me on the pence numbers for the seven known publishers :wishluck:

I agree that "Type 1a" on its own doesn't sound particularly inspired but perhaps using the qualifiers in parentheses that I noted above would make a more descriptive title ? EDIT: I mean as a title on CGC slabbed books.

I look forward to reading your article Steve. Which edition of Overstreet will it appear in (I only buy one every few years)?

Edited by Redshade

3 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I agree that "Type 1a" on its own doesn't sound particularly inspired but perhaps using the qualifiers in parentheses that I noted above would make a more descriptive title ?

I look forward to reading your article Steve. Which edition of Overstreet will it appear (I only buy one every few years)?

It's Jon's article / market report, with pence input from me - should be in the next issue, due out in July I think. 

My own current preference for CGC labels would be:

• First Printing UK Priced Variant 
  • First Printing Canadian Priced Variant 
  • First Printing Australian Priced Variant

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's Jon's article / market report, with pence input from me - should be in the next issue, due out in July I think. 

My own current preference for CGC labels would be:

• First Printing UK Priced Variant 
  • First Printing Canadian Priced Variant 
  • First Printing Australian Priced Variant

If you don't mind me saying so Steve I think "First Printing UK Priced Variant" is just as imprecise and ambiguous as "UK Edition" and could lend itself to similar misinterpretation.

2 minutes ago, Redshade said:

If you don't mind me saying so Steve I think "First Printing UK Priced Variant" is just as imprecise and ambiguous as "UK Edition" and could lend itself to similar misinterpretation.

I don't mind you saying at all. Now, explain - or die! :sumo:

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't mind you saying at all. Now, explain - or die! :sumo:

It could be misconstrued as First Printing {of a} UK Priced Variant  and seen to be somehow separate from a US first printing. It does not to me convey the indisputable fact that this is equal to its US counterpart which is what we are trying to establish here.

6 minutes ago, Redshade said:

It could be misconstrued as First Printing {of a} UK Priced Variant  and seen to be somehow separate from a US first printing. It does not to me convey the indisputable fact that this is equal to its US counterpart which is what we are trying to establish here.

What would? 

Type 1a (UK) variant.:bigsmile:

So, how do we overcome the fact that probably 90% of collectors don't know what "Type1A" means? And that it means nothing in isolation? Would that not increase the confusion a hundred fold?

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So, how do we overcome the fact that probably 90% of collectors don't know what "Type1A" means? And that it means nothing in isolation? Would that not increase the confusion a hundred fold?

We are trying to educate people here. They will understand the term if CGC uses it and it becomes more widely recognised.

Edited by Redshade

7 minutes ago, Redshade said:

We are trying to educate people here. They will understand the term if CGC uses it and it becomes more widely recognised.

Maybe have the Type 1A definition on the reverse of the label.

That would be one way.

How do you rate our chances of this being adopted on a sliding scale of one to ten - ten being 100% successful adoption, one being "shove off"?

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

How do you rate our chances of this being adopted on a sliding scale of one to ten - ten being 100% successful adoption, one being "shove off"?

As I stated above we are trying to educate the 90% of people who have never heard of Type 1a or indeed pence variants. It's not going to be easy, these things never are. But with Overstreet already using the designation then CGC's adoption of it would advance its utilisation.

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

about tree-fiddy

2 minutes ago, bc said:

about tree-fiddy

Stop mucking about bc.

What would you call them? On CGC labels I mean. 

34 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Type 1a (UK) variant.:bigsmile:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Stop mucking about bc.

What would you call them? On CGC labels I mean. 

I just jumped online, give me a few minutes....

Let's just say that "Type 1A" + "locale" + "Variant" seems to confuse the situation in my limited brain. These aren't "variants", they are real first printings with different prices and indicia.

3 minutes ago, bc said:

I just jumped online, give me a few minutes....

Let's just say that "Type 1A" + "locale" + "Variant" seems to confuse the situation in my limited brain. These aren't "variants", they are real first printings with different prices and indicia.

...so they vary then....

Anyway, gotta go now - Line of Duty's on. See you all tomorra :)