Marvel UK Price Variants
17 17

968 posts in this topic

169 posts
2 hours ago, rakehell said:

Hmm! Nice. I don't usually go for bound volumes but if this had been all pence issues I might have been interested. Still worth consideration though at its current price although it's early days and that is *ahem* bound to change. Are you having a pop? If so I'll stand down. Just off to vote and do some shopping toodle pip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
1 hour ago, Redshade said:

I don't usually go for bound volumes but if this had been all pence issues I might have been interested.

I like bound volumes, but I never see them in the wild. See 'em all damn day at work (British Library), but I get into trouble if I take them home. :eek:

1 hour ago, Redshade said:

Are you having a pop?

I probably would, if I weren't going on holiday. Thanks for the consideration, though. (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,043 posts
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm back. Hastings might be a bent copper. Hope not.

Anyway, the above coding is news to me bc. Is that common knowledge? 

"Italian Edition" further supports my anti-"Edition" stance. No such thing as a first printing Italian price variant. Is there? 

Only on their 1938 surrender rifles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,739 posts

One that I've just had to dig out of inventory for a customer. Always seemed funny that they stamped a book with the same price that it was already printed with. 

IMG_2529.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169 posts
3 hours ago, gaz973 said:

One that I've just had to dig out of inventory for a customer. Always seemed funny that they stamped a book with the same price that it was already printed with. 

IMG_2529.JPG

Yes I've thought that myself when I've come across an instance of this (oddly enough usually on annuals). I've wondered if perhaps the "stamping operatives" were a little trigger happy or the comics weren't sorted properly and a few pence variants got mixed in with the cents ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
On 6/1/2019 at 7:29 PM, Redshade said:

I've wondered if perhaps the "stamping operatives" were a little trigger happy

I think they probably paid some of them per stamp. Here's one from my collection:

1897574192_strangetales143.jpg.22800eecef45d9073c680bbbfd9dc2dc.jpg.7adf59d40e3282e744a55dec2589ef4f.jpg

doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169 posts
7 hours ago, rakehell said:

I think they probably paid some of them per stamp. Here's one from my collection:

1897574192_strangetales143.jpg.22800eecef45d9073c680bbbfd9dc2dc.jpg.7adf59d40e3282e744a55dec2589ef4f.jpg

doh!

It looks like one of the stampers took his stamping kit on holiday.:bigsmile:

How on Earth did this happen?

zzzz.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169 posts
5 minutes ago, Redshade said:

It looks like one of the stampers took his stamping kit on holiday.:bigsmile:

How on Earth did this happen?

zzzz.jpg

 It's a Mexican comic from 1963. I've just taken a few more photos.:

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
16 hours ago, Redshade said:

How on Earth did this happen?

zzzz.jpg

Hmmm...

Trying to think of an overseas British Territory with a Spanish speaking population...

Anguilla? Gibraltar maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
169 posts
44 minutes ago, rakehell said:

Hmmm...

Trying to think of an overseas British Territory with a Spanish speaking population...

Anguilla? Gibraltar maybe?

Both very valid conjectures which prompted me to get the old atlas out.

I see that Belize, a British Colony bordering Mexico had English, Spanish and a local Creole as their official languages.

I suppose these could have been stamped in pence for sale in the Naafi but would British troops and civilian workers buy periodicals in Spanish when there surely would  have been English language magazines present? I wonder if we'll ever know definitively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
29 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I see that Belize, a British Colony bordering Mexico had English, Spanish and a local Creole as their official languages.

Ah. That makes sense. (thumbsu

 

29 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I suppose these could have been stamped in pence for sale in the Naafi but would British troops and civilian workers buy periodicals in Spanish when there surely would  have been English language magazines present? I wonder if we'll ever know definitively.

Possibly someone wanted to teach their kids Spanish the lazy way. Also, I now want to go to Belize to search for lost Golden Age gems left by the troops. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,043 posts
3 hours ago, rakehell said:
4 hours ago, Redshade said:

I suppose these could have been stamped in pence for sale in the Naafi but would British troops and civilian workers buy periodicals in Spanish when there surely would  have been English language magazines present? I wonder if we'll ever know definitively.

Possibly someone wanted to teach their kids Spanish the lazy way. Also, I now want to go to Belize to search for lost Golden Age gems left by the troops. xD

My daughter is a dual language elementary teacher here - her native language is English.  She reads a ton of books in Spanish, and often watches TV/Movies in Spanish/English with subtitles on, etc.  She's always working on trying to make her Spanish seamless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
16 hours ago, lizards2 said:

My daughter is a dual language elementary teacher here - her native language is English.  She reads a ton of books in Spanish, and often watches TV/Movies in Spanish/English with subtitles on, etc.  She's always working on trying to make her Spanish seamless.

It's a great way to learn another language. I just came back from a holiday in Austria. Seven days of "Die Simpsons" in German! They could maybe do a better job of casting the voice artists, but "D'oh" is a multi-lingual phrase. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts
11,878 posts
11,878 posts
7 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

Just got this back!

It is funny I paid $200 for it about a decade ago. It is my only UK book.

20190610_134150.jpg

And very nice it is too! It looks like you just missed out on the "UK Price Variant" label change, but a lovely book to own :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,878 posts

Afternoon :)

Here's a copy of Gunsmoke Western #71 in absolutely lovely condition. Trimmed, cover detached and all taped up. What more could you want from a pence western?

71.thumb.jpg.be35bea04a375a55a052e723a97b4b73.jpg

 

I only bought it because:

  1. It was cheap
  2. Despite everything, it looks reasonably clean and bright
  3. It's one of the last two left that I needed for a full pence set 
  4. I needed a decent image for the files
  5. It's only the 3rd copy I've ever seen ever in the whole wide world (proper hard to come by this one, even in comparison to the others which themselves are proper hard to come by)

On an unrelated note, I've finished the T&P research and it's over in the boards graveyard journals section if you can be arsed to go and look.

Enjoy :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,878 posts
5 hours ago, mec3437 said:

This is all I have for now.  The hunt continues for more.

0621191952.jpg

Only 3,018 to go :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
17 17