• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

There's one or two pence Marvels that I still haven't manged to find decent images of for the files and this kid was one of them:

32.thumb.jpg.2588dd2e2d124f8aa897cb26a4298132.jpg

Was.... :cloud9:

2 minutes ago, mikeyc67 said:

Steve very sorry I knew you had one but can appreciate you want the Miller stamp. You can have it. PM me your address again.

Not at all, you keep it Mikey. Keep going for the set mate :headbang:

I think I was the immediate underbidder (for about the fourth time).  I’ve had this on my watch list for 10+ years, first one I’ve seen in UK. I’ m not sure I really want it that much, it’s more a ritual to try and find one and then not buy it. Still missing about 40 issues of TGK so I’m never going to complete. 

55 minutes ago, Garystar said:

I think I was the immediate underbidder (for about the fourth time).  I’ve had this on my watch list for 10+ years, first one I’ve seen in UK. I’ m not sure I really want it that much, it’s more a ritual to try and find one and then not buy it. Still missing about 40 issues of TGK so I’m never going to complete. 

It'll come Gary. Next one I see I won't bid on and will send you a PM. They're like buses sometimes you know, so keep em peeled as Shaw Taylor used to say. 

16 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Cheers. It’s a challenge now to get one at what I consider a reasonable price. I thought the first few issues by Lee and Kirby after #60 relaunch were quite good but otherwise it’s a series I collect only because they exist. 

Yes, #58 is hard to come by and I overpaid for my copy by some margin just to complete the Miller set thinking I may not get another chance. That's one of the drawbacks of freely posting comic research - you mobilise the competition. 

That looks about the same condition as my pence Spider-Man 1. When I bought it about 25 years ago for £500 that was more than three times what I’d ever paid for a comic before. Hopefully these Marvel keys will hold value for many years as mine will probably end up with the grandkids- they’re too young at present to read, great if they take interest in comics but suspect they’ll want to cash in. 

1 hour ago, Garystar said:

That looks about the same condition as my pence Spider-Man 1. When I bought it about 25 years ago for £500 that was more than three times what I’d ever paid for a comic before. Hopefully these Marvel keys will hold value for many years as mine will probably end up with the grandkids- they’re too young at present to read, great if they take interest in comics but suspect they’ll want to cash in. 

22% on top of the hammer price as well I think. Someone got carried away.... 

On the 15th of this month we "celebrated" 50 years since we said goodbye to old money and went with the decimal currency we know and love (and no longer use as it's all tap and go now anyway). When there were 252 pennies to a Guinea I loved collecting coins. You could still find copper coins in circulation with Queen Victoria's head on them 70 years after she died.

Even at the time I found it odd that Marvel comics were still priced at 1/- right up to October 1971 cover dates (which must have been on sale around that time) even though that was 8 months after the currency had changed. Didn't anyone at T&P think to mention it? It's not like we weren't warned as 5p and 10p coins had been already introduced in 1968 to prepare us for the change.

PS And they weren't even sure what to price the Giant sized 25 cent Submariner 43 at?? 

Sub Mariner 42.jpg

Sub Mariner 43.jpg

Subby 43.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

13 hours ago, themagicrobot said:

On the 15th of this month we "celebrated" 50 years since we said goodbye to old money and went with the decimal currency we know and love (and no longer use as it's all tap and go now anyway). When there were 252 pennies to a Guinea I loved collecting coins. You could still find copper coins in circulation with Queen Victoria's head on them 70 years after she died.

Even at the time I found it odd that Marvel comics were still priced at 1/- right up to October 1971 cover dates (which must have been on sale around that time) even though that was 8 months after the currency had changed. Didn't anyone at T&P think to mention it? It's not like we weren't warned as 5p and 10p coins had been already introduced in 1968 to prepare us for the change.

PS And they weren't even sure what to price the Giant sized 25 cent Submariner 43 at?? 

I saw the article in the news this week and was pondering a post here myself as it goes Robot. You beat me to it.

I post about the six pee stickers earlier in this thread and in my journal summary page (note #15). And a brief discussion was held over at Wordpress about it:

8p1.thumb.PNG.0589393b3b0c4f1bfcc196f0d6f6c204.PNG
 8p2.thumb.PNG.8d4905a3243df3c139e10831ed36bd42.PNG

The post was liked by one person as you can see, and set a new world record for interest in pence blathery across the triple-W.

Cosmic.

158378297_DogLikeSparky.gif.f0c805dc7442d53b1000585e603f0947.gif

I beg to differ on this one. I'm sure when printed originally the 8p prices were definitely designed to be the correct ones as all those comics were 25 cents with 52 (count em) pages. The next issues went back to the regular size/price.

Why the 6p sticker??  Who knows? Thorpe and Porter may have had second thoughts as these issues were one-offs in the runs and decided to sell them at the same price as imminent future issues so as not to confuse customers/newsagents. 

Note the writing on the spine of ASM 102

asm 102.jpg

asm 102 uk.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

14 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

I beg to differ on this one. I'm sure when printed originally the 8p prices were definitely designed to be the correct ones as all those comics were 25 cents with 52 (count em) pages. The next issues went back to the regular size/price.

Why the 6p sticker??  Who knows? Thorpe and Porter may have had second thoughts as these issues were one-offs in the runs and decided to sell them at the same price as imminent future issues so as not to confuse customers/newsagents. 

I think we're arguing for the same thing unless I'm missing something Robot - they were clearly printed at 8p to reflect the increased content and someone said the 6p stickers were an error, i.e. that they should have been 8p in line with the printed 8p price (when placed over a 25c copy). But the 6p was placed over the 8p printed price, not the 25c. So my argument was that T&P probably got the jitters when they saw a printed 8p and rushed out the stickers to correct them thinking no one would pay that. 

14 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Note the writing on the spine of ASM 102

I'm intrigued - what am I looking for? Is the 25c missing on the pence copy? Is it the same as the DC Flash #108 spine scenario?

108.jpg.1e9c4d3f56ff4ee8bd824f1404d66cf8.jpg

108p.jpg.daff84e6b2d929523e6595a45725bdb9.jpg

I'll be back after dinner Robot - wife's calling....

.... ten minute reprieve - she forgot the halloumi.

I found this copy of a pence ASM #102 with the 25c still showing on the spine:

1032137431_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.f5a2337d3205b393ac42339f8327666e.jpg

Excellent spot @themagicrobot, excellent! I hadn't noticed that before :applause:

....looks like that pattern exists on all the November 1971 8p books:

193.thumb.jpg.88bb54691008f8188fe317823fe81d55.jpg

I can't believe I didn't notice that before Robot - you're my new best friend doh!

A printed 8p on the front, and a printed 25c retained accidentally on the spine. Brilliant  :headbang: