• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel 'L Miller & Co' UK Distribution Variants (May 1960 ~ September 1961)
5 5

189 posts in this topic

If you follow this thread, you'll understand the significance of that last post.

We have a new 'Miller title' - Amazing Adventures - which is also our first 'non-western' title :headbang:

2042675321_AA410cLM-Ib.thumb.jpg.b88b732af501db8930c7f5e7157fdd54.jpg

Issues 1 to 4 all have Miller indicias (I have the evidence) and, wait for it, 10c cover prices. So it's also the first title to break my previously posted Miller date range - issue #4 is a September 1961 issue!

So the table needed a rewrite and here it is (minus the KCO column):

1382307810_v2_310_12_18.thumb.PNG.3f5f24292e606e08f60ad2d83e355538.PNG

Previously we had three date blocks for the in scope titles; the Miller 9d run, the Miller 10c run and then the T&P 9d take over. Now we need a fourth block, just for September 1961, as we have a LM 10c book and a 9d T&P book existing in that month. Amazing Adventures #5 and 6 are confirmed T&P indicias, so Amazing Adventures #4 is a bit of an anomaly, breaking the pattern with gay abandon.

Up until now all the indications are that Miller took on a handful of westerns, which made a kind of sense given that they were into western reprints. The discovery that this title was also taken on raises the possibility that the other Marvel titles in the date range may also have had some Miller treatment. My initial analysis suggests not though, and it may be that Amazing Adventures will be the last discovery (accepting that Wyatt has still yet to show his hand. Well, indicia).

The summary now is:

• Four confirmed titles - Amazing Adventures, Gunsmoke Western, Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid
  • One title TBC - Wyatt Earp, quite likely to be a Miller
  • 26 potential books
  • 23 confirmed 
  • GW #61, TGK #58 almost certain to be Millers
  • WE #29 likely to be

I'll let you know if anything changes :)

On 12/10/2018 at 10:25 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Stan was at a loss for a monster name so he just came up with X👍‼️

I think we can forgive him, given his other fairly good creations Foggy :grin:

Thanks for popping in - I was a little disappointed that the posts heralding a brand new Miller indicia title didn't get any response. It was a real big deal to me, so deflating that it wasn't to a single other person seemingly. That'll teach me for liking what no one else does I suppose! Charlton pence copy anyone...?

fanatsy2.JPG.8402ffcf3420af43e32dc88c949a26d7.JPG

Anyway, thanks Foggy for your solitary input. Have a great Christmas mate :foryou:

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

That L Miller pedigree is nearly the equal of Mr Church mile high😅😅👍‼️🤪🥂🤷‍♀️

Don't be silly Fog.

It's much better than that :)

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

This is excellent thread it worthy of a Wikipedia page 👍👍👍‼️ MrMarwood

Wikimiller! :headbang:

45 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m with you, too.

I’ll give my pre heroes and westerns a quick scan for you sometime soon. (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, bc said:

Great job sir!

As KJ mentioned - this gives me a reason to look thru my unslabbed PHMs this week.

Cheers guys :)

13 minutes ago, bc said:

@Get Marwood & I

Is this what we are looking for?

This is from one of my Amazing Adventures #2, 10 cent version

IMG_20181219_161402747_HDR.thumb.jpg.2c5680df430314bb57631f0935e63555.jpg

Indicia of this book:

IMG_20181219_161415102_HDR.thumb.jpg.f383ed068ceb203777694e689336af0a.jpg

Went thru all my Amazing Adventures and Amazing Adult Fantasy raw sets, this was the only one. Thought I'd get verification before looking at the rest.

Cheers!

-bc

Yes, that's the Miller variant. Issues one to four exist with that extra line of data at the foot of the regular US indicia details.  The US copies don't have it, so you have the variant copy that was intended for UK distribution. Well done.

I'm going to be offline for a while now to get my eyes sorted so if you don't hear from me for a while that's why. Cheers, Steve 

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Sucks having to get comics out and thumb thru ‘em, huh?

You’re a true humanitarian, sir!

Its pure agony I tell ya   :)

While they were out, went thru the Strange Worlds and World of Fantasy sets and unfortunately, nothing noteworthy.

Will check ST, TOS & TTA later, got to get back to actual work now.