• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the Boards Mean to You
3 3

69 posts in this topic

Was talking to porcupine tonight and he mentioned how long he'd been here and how important this place has been to him.

Got me to thinking about how long I've hung out here and how it's changed the hobby for me.

I First came here to learn about CGC books.  Had none and had never seen one except in pictures.  I didn't know any other collectors, rarely spent more than $200 on a book, hell rarely spent more than $50 on a book.  I didn't know  about pedigree books aside from the Mile Highs, pressing, grading standards, auction sites outside ebay, or restoration.

Looking back it's startling to realize just how important this place has been to me and how much it's changed the hobby for me.

I've talked to a lot of great people, met quite a few in person, bought some wonderful books, expanded my budget, learned so so much and overall found the hobby more rewarding.  Thanks CGC.

I  can't believe I have been here nearly ten years,and how many great board members I have met.

I have collected comics forever,and never really heard of CGC. That is until my wife bought me a graded comic on eBay. Nothing terribly special,an ASM 177 9.6 ,my wife knew I needed one for my ASM run.

That one purchase had me wondering " what is this cgc thing" ? So I went online to research, and up popped the boards. I think it was New Years day of 2008, and I lurked on the boards for about a week reading everything that was written here.

Then finally I got the nerve to sign up, and lo and behold I would get in the middle of the grading game.

I spouted out the grade of a book, divad tells me to please delete the grade in so many words. I got the grade correct by the way.

I never thought I could converse with others on comics, and now I have a forum to go to.

There have been so many great memories, on the boards,and meeting people far too numerous to mention them all. I feel nothing but humble, yet astounded to be a part of such a great community.

You guys have been an ear to hear my good, and my not so good days. 

Made me appreciate other forms of this media that I probably would never have gone.

Really have made my collection a thing to be proud of.

Most importantly making alot of friends along the way.

Thank you all.

I found these boards in 2004 when I bought an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.2 western Penn off Ebay.

Here is the GPA data!

Nov-09-2004 $545  

I wanted to learn more about the grading, and I found a forum where I learned a LOT.

These boards are an important place for me, as I am here each and everyday to see what others have shared, learn about comics and share what I know about comics.

Edited by Artboy99

I came here because drbanner told me about it when I was purchasing from him on ebay.

I love this place for the people, access to kewl books, and treasue-trove of comics knowledge.

Some of the jackwagons are trying at times, but that's all part of being a community.

I still basically don't give a rats backside about CGC or CGC books.

Edited by lizards2

Looking back, I can't believe how big an impact this place has had on me.

I've deepened my knowledge (e.g. Pedigrees, grading, restoration etc.) so much and acquired so many cool books. Would I still even be in the hobby?

Most importantly, I have made some incredible friendships both locally, nationally, and internationally. When I've traveled whether for work, fun, or a convention, people have been very welcoming! I'm thinking of the board dinners, the pub crawls....

I may have some more to add later.

Best,

John

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

this board and its members saved my life.honest.all the love and support I got through those worst times really,really did a world of good.

thanksmgang,I love you all

Jimmers

:banana:

I have made several close friends in my time here. People who I have broken bread with regularly and will hopefully continue to do so for many years to come. People who have shared their homes with me and my wife and people we have shared our home with as well. This place was the facilitator for those relationships and I will always be grateful for that :cloud9:

This is one of my main go to sites on the internet !  really good reading material in Comic General , Gold and Silver !!

i have finally learned to stay away from the Water Cooler (very bad people there) and because of that and the new,effective ignore function,..these boards are better than ever!

26 minutes ago, DR.X said:

I met Greggy here.

Hardly...., we've got the film. (tsk)

This place is fun and informative. I stumbled upon it while trying to figure out the best method to sell off my collection (and found that information of course). But reading the threads and new information, observing other styles of collecting, etc re-invigorated my interest in collecting and my collection has grown quite a bit (in my eyes) as a result. I only wish I had held off selling any of those nice books in the early part of the experience-- I miss those books. But as many have reminded me-- you can always get another copy of a book/run/collection you might have sold.

One of my favorite boards to check out daily. Great people and conversation.

Edited by 01TheDude

16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Hardly...., we've got the film. (tsk)

the only film that I know of that is circulating in underground chat rooms is a me doing a one armed iron cross on the still rings in a fitness competition.

1 hour ago, DR.X said:

I met Greggy here.

greggy insisted that I join this forum, as there were hard core comic collectors with vast knowledge and want lists, and I had way too many comics of all ages :whatev: in my stash. Met collectors/fans and made new friends from Florida, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Quebec, Portland, Oregon, Edmonton, Calgary, AB, London, UK, San Francisco, California, etc at USA and Western Canada cons. 

A lot....I rarely leave my home (the older I get the more I just like been home) and this is the only place where I can chat with fellow collectors. I love seen other members books....my city offers no good comic book shops so I get my daily fix here.

When I visited my local shop, I was the guy they expected to know everything.  Since I've been here, I realize I know nothing! lol  There are fewer kooks and bottom-feeders here than in most comic book venues, and plenty of wisdom to be gleaned from the industry stalwarts, so this is my daily reprieve when I have comics on the mind.

23 hours ago, FineCollector said:

When I visited my local shop, I was the guy they expected to know everything.  Since I've been here, I realize I know nothing! lol  There are fewer kooks and bottom-feeders here than in most comic book venues, and plenty of wisdom to be gleaned from the industry stalwarts, so this is my daily reprieve when I have comics on the mind.

Ain't that the truth, there's so much knowledge here.