• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

I used to own the Cap 211 cover (sold it last year) and agree it went cheap.  Like you said, the CA annual cover went for 40K and we've seen multiple private sales/offers of similar era Kirby Cap covers in the $30Ks as well.

thought the Kirby Thor cover went low too given that it was twice up, albeit with some added borders. Though, it's not like we haven't seen heavily worked on Kirby 2-up Thor covers sell for a lot more than this one did. 

I remember that sale!  I wanted it to buy it but didn't find out it was available until just after you'd sold it!

11 minutes ago, Twanj said:

only 9k more than the Devil Dino cover?

Yes!

I even started to make that very observation but decided not to for some reason.  No offense whatsoever to the person who won that DD cover - it's a gorgeous piece and I was going to bid on it - but I'd rather have a piece with Cap, a pretty Kirby gal and evil Nazi monsters for just a little more...

33 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I thought the IG #2 cover went a bit cheap. I thought it would be closer to $35k. Must have been the lack of Thanos. 

I think it did ok at $29k, was expecting around $25k. It's by far the weakest of the IG covers (rear-body and small-head shots only), and as you said... no Thanos (tsk)

14 minutes ago, O. said:

I think it did ok at $29k, was expecting around $25k. It's by far the weakest of the IG covers (rear-body and small-head shots only), and as you said... no Thanos (tsk)

Definitely.   I didn't think it would even break 20k for these reasons.  It did very well, I thought. 

I read that it's being reported that the Fritz the Cat cover OA is the highest price ever publicly paid for a piece of original art from an American comic book (those Tintin art pieces in Europe can go for millions).   Anyone confirm this or know of any other OA that went publicly for higher (other than paintings)?

24 minutes ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I read that it's being reported that the Fritz the Cat cover OA is the highest price ever publicly paid for a piece of original art from an American comic book (those Tintin art pieces in Europe can go for millions).   Anyone confirm this or know of any other OA that went publicly for higher (other than paintings)?

I'm not sure about where it lands in the hierarchy of other sales. 

What I am sure about is that this sale can only help the sales of Gene's new kindle book regarding the OA Bubble entitled "The Comic Art Market is on the Fritz!!"

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Well, if Fish won it, then his average cost for Wolverine 1st appearances is down from $657,250 to $364,475. :insane: 

I have the first appearance of Wolverine without his mask, what would that go for?

1 hour ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

It's chump change (that I don't have) compared to the record amount paid for an American artist today.  A Basquiat sold for over $110M today.

More crazy today, bitcoin is over $1,900 today.

Isn't he Canadian?

3 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Should be correct, here´s a nice listing with pics up to April 2016:  

http://newatlas.com/tintin-comic-art-beats-superman-action-comics-batman-spiderman-incredible-hulk/43164/#p403822

Fascinating!

Frankly of all the known public high end pieces (Dk splash, Who is the strongest McSpidey and first Wolvie) I like this one the most. Amazing piece of art. Or as my wife says "I wouldn't pay 2$ for that"

Took a closer look at HA's offerings for today and tomorrow, and there's quite a few pieces tracking very low.  I wouldn't necessarily say they are under people's radar's, but Byrne, Starlin, Kubert, Buscema and a bunch of Bronze and Copper Age Spidey pages are relative bargains.

on the other hand, I'm a bit surprised at the current bid on the Leonardi Cloak and Dagger cover.  ?

51 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Took a closer look at HA's offerings for today and tomorrow, and there's quite a few pieces tracking very low.  I wouldn't necessarily say they are under people's radar's, but Byrne, Starlin, Kubert, Buscema and a bunch of Bronze and Copper Age Spidey pages are relative bargains.

on the other hand, I'm a bit surprised at the current bid on the Leonardi Cloak and Dagger cover.  ?

Suddenly the Jeff Jones Monster Times page jumped to over 8k, so much for my meager thoughts of keeping it together. 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

?

:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Suddenly the Jeff Jones Monster Times page jumped to over 8k, so much for my meager thoughts of keeping it together. 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

The first rule of "Auction Lots That Are Under-Performing Pre-Closing Bell Club" is:

Don't talk about "Auction Lots That Are Under-Performing Pre-Closing Bell"

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

:facepalm:

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

The first rule of "Auction Lots That Are Under-Performing Pre-Closing Bell Club" is:

Don't talk about "Auction Lots That Are Under-Performing Pre-Closing Bell"

Oh there are never real bargains anymore are there. Every time I think I am the only person to find some lot from some English country auction....NOPE. ;)

Edited by cstojano

Just now, cstojano said:

Oh there are never real bargains anymore are there. Everytime I think I am the only person to find some lot from some English country auction....NOPE. ;)

I actually picked up one piece a couple years back from a European auction house. Gorgeous Romita Sr. Spider-Man for about 1/5th of its value.  Doubt that will happen again.

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I actually picked up one piece a couple years back from a European auction house. Gorgeous Romita Sr. Spider-Man for about 1/5th of its value.  Doubt that will happen again.

Keyword auction alerts from the big three aggregators have killed that.

Edited by cstojano

OMFG...the Sgt. Fury Annual 4 cover is up to $22K hammer ($26.3K with the juice).  Annuals #2, 3 and 4 are all very memorable back issues for me that I picked up out of the bargain back issue bin as a kid with barely any spending money.  I had been thinking about going after the #4 cover, but, this price is just shocking to me - nice cover, but it's Ayers/Severin, small art, and the main characters are tiny! 

I guess I'll just content myself with owning that tattered copy I pulled out of the bargain bin for 50 cents or whatever it was back then.  This market has just gone insane...the only way to win it seems is to be even more insane than the next guy. :insane:  I'm afraid I'm far too well-adjusted for this market. :p 

I can't imagine this is going to end well in the long-run, but, what do I know...I'm just a Bronze/Copper Age nostalgia collector. :sorry: