• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

Makes the Donnelly ones I looked at back then for $6K and $7K seem like a deal!

scary times when Donnelly 3-4x prices might be reasonable!

24 minutes ago, Bird said:

I was hoping to get the McCay editorial cartoon. I bought one maybe 3 years ago and I like mine better so I thought the price would be less than what I paid ($5500 IIRC). Very surprised at the $10,157.50 price (that is after fees, $8500 hammer). Makes the Donnelly ones I looked at back then for $6K and $7K seem like a deal!

Ask about them again....I'm sure the prices have become more unreasonable in the mean time. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

Ask about them again....I'm sure the prices have become more unreasonable in the mean time. 

Ya'think? ^^ In fact if I had asked last week I think they went up today! I was actually chasing a specific one that Scott Eder had at a comic art con, but when I called him about it a few weeks later (or even sooner perhaps) he told me he traded it to East Coast Donnelly at the show! So I knew the acquisition cost, at least what Scott was asking, and was still put off by the quote. He had a few though.

I got mine from Joe & Nadia IIRC.

I think the Donnellys set their prices 10 years or so in advance of the market.  Case in point, in May 2005, I asked them how much their Kirby Cap 204 and 208 covers were.  They said 14k and 18k respectively (204 is an admittedly weaker cover).  12 years later, 211 sells for 20k (24.5 with juice)!  Tomorrow's prices today!

41 minutes ago, Flambit said:

I think the Donnellys set their prices 10 years or so in advance of the market.  Case in point, in May 2005, I asked them how much their Kirby Cap 204 and 208 covers were.  They said 14k and 18k respectively (204 is an admittedly weaker cover).  12 years later, 211 sells for 20k (24.5 with juice)!  Tomorrow's prices today!

That Cap 211 cover was the steal of the auction....

-- Mark T.

I ended up getting shutout today.  I let 2 pieces go that were under where I would have been a buyer at to take a shot at some later stuff, which I got blown out on. Oh well. Have a couple stragglers for tomorrow, but the focus shifts to 2 pieces I really want at Clink.

4 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I ended up getting shutout today.  I let 2 pieces go that were under where I would have been a buyer at to take a shot at some later stuff, which I got blown out on. Oh well. Have a couple stragglers for tomorrow, but the focus shifts to 2 pieces I really want at Clink.

Which is a longer wait...waiting for the end of the clink auction or waiting for the NBA finals? I want some clink too but June 6 is too long away!

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

All of you high rollers need to go lick your wounds somewhere else tomorrow. Don't punish us Saturday guys because you got beat up Thursday and Friday. (tsk)

Don't worry, they usually punish us over on Clink.

21 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I actually picked up one piece a couple years back from a European auction house. Gorgeous Romita Sr. Spider-Man for about 1/5th of its value.  Doubt that will happen again.

which issue and page was that? and for how much :)

Got the McCay Rarebit Fiend sunday last night. Goes perfectly thematically with the other Rarebit Fiend I have framed up on the wall. Proud to own two McCays! Paid a little more than expected, but not an incredible amount more. 

2 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Got the McCay Rarebit Fiend sunday last night. Goes perfectly thematically with the other Rarebit Fiend I have framed up on the wall. Proud to own two McCays! Paid a little more than expected, but not an incredible amount more. 

NICE! I tell anyone who will listen, but apparently McCay drew the outside line of the figures FIRST and then went inside after. Truly amazing. I love his stuff and hope to get a Fiend some day.

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

That one was awesome! Congratulations, little nemoish linework

54 minutes ago, Doctor Joe said:

So happy with this

huge freak fan...and with the advent of Silicon Valley can there be any doubt Bachman is modeled this? 

Fat Freddy .jpg

I'm holding out for a pesca-pescatarian example.  Or at least one that features a Jian-Yang prototype...

1 hour ago, rikemice said:

Threads - and auctions - like this just remind me that I am the lowest of the low rollers in this hobby. 

Don't worry about it! Most of us are in that boat. (Remember, apparently there are only 5 real players in the hobby!) Rare is the collector who most loves the first thing he ever bought.