• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2017 at 10:53 AM, zhamlau said:

I dont know, I know a lot of people who think Paul is a talented singer. I love his music but honestly his singing on its own does nothing for me at all.

I honestly think Chevy Chase held it together for solo Paul.

Edited by Mephisto

8 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Thank you for the input. I find it interesting  that you feel other artist as yourself would prefer Jim's Inking  Style.  Is this because of the "non-commercial" look?

I'm not saying I'd come in second 100% of the time.  I'm saying that other artists, more than fans and art lovers (and I'm not saying this in condescending way) know what goes into creating this art form, and appreciate that bolder high wire act of creating that Jim does when he inks himself. I tend to fetishize line work and create heavily "produced" and polished, crafted work.  Kind of Top 40 pop inking so to speak.  Good stuff, but Jim is a little more Jazz (or perhaps grunge or punk is a better analogy) in that his drawing and inking approach is never quite the same each time and has that spontaneous energy and invention which appeals to other artists more than the safe stuff by and large.

Hard to put into words.  Does this make any sense?

Scott Garfunkel 

I know exactly where you are coming from and it makes total and complete sense.
I've tried to explain other artist's work to people before, and the analogies I've used have been music/performance based.

One could liken it to a highwire act with no net. Scott's execution is flawless and well rehearsed. When you go to that show, you know what you are going to get, and it will be good. Jim going solo is about the thrill of doing things that border on the reckless, because the end result is a more death defying execution.

Ashley Wood is possibly a more extreme example of a modern creator that flies with no net at all.
In his case, he generally has eschewed even penciling his work. It's pretty much all direct ink on paper these days. No pencil. No computer cleanup after the fact. He's the one at IDW that pioneered the reproduction technique that later became the Artist Edition books, by insisting on reproducing all his work, whiteout and all in his art books and comics. We can thank him for that. He told me once that he creates tons of drawings, stories and pages. They don't all work. He tosses them. He keeps what best reflects what he wants out there. But the spontaneity that comes from the initial drawing is difficult to re-achieve in inking. So he combines the two, with no chance of hitting an undo button if a piece goes off the rails. He lets it all hang out. And there is a reason he's become well known as an artist's artist. He approaches each page, and each panel, like a zen sumi-e artist. Jon Muth is another one, though he uses more traditional brushes and techniques.

Also, might as well mention, Ash will be doing an art show with his company ThreeA at SDCC this year outside the con halls. They have a space set up in an actual Gallery this year that is sure to be a real treat for any of you that have never experienced one. They've done them in Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and China. This will be their first stateside. They are typically huge, extravagant, meticulously designed and include a ton of original work. Not just of Ash's, but of other participating artists as well.

From Ash's Instagram, as he was recently working on the program for the SD gallery catalog...

413384290.jpg[/img]

1threeAart.jpg

On 6/2/2017 at 0:00 AM, stinkininkin said:

I'm not saying I'd come in second 100% of the time.  I'm saying that other artists, more than fans and art lovers (and I'm not saying this in condescending way) know what goes into creating this art form, and appreciate that bolder high wire act of creating that Jim does when he inks himself. I tend to fetishize line work and create heavily "produced" and polished, crafted work.  Kind of Top 40 pop inking so to speak.  Good stuff, but Jim is a little more Jazz (or perhaps grunge or punk is a better analogy) in that his drawing and inking approach is never quite the same each time and has that spontaneous energy and invention which appeals to other artists more than the safe stuff by and large.

Hard to put into words.  Does this make any sense?

Scott Garfunkel 

Makes perfect sense. Remarkable how Robert Kirkman also comments on Jim Lee inks on  Felix Latest Podcast. I'm starting to believe this Jim Lee Purist Club™  might exist.hm

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

Makes perfect sense. Remarkable how Robert Kirkman also comments on Jim Lee inks on  Felix Latest Podcast. I'm starting to believe this Jim Lee Purist Club™  might exist.hm

First rule of Jim Lee Art club.....

20 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Quick question: when did Heritage start including sales tax?  I haven't won anything on Heritage for a few years, but I don't remember it before.  

I think if they have a physical location in your state. They list em at the bottom of the site. I coulda sworn there wasn't a location in Palm Beach, FL before ?

On 5/20/2017 at 10:57 AM, Doc Joe said:

Bro...you have some great stuff and you know it! 

Yeah. I got in just in time and got some great stuff. But I was doing 55 in the right lane when the rest of the hobby blew past me doing 80. ;-)

something else to note before chocking up the two Jim Lee auction results as due to the rise of the JLPC is that the Wizard cover isn't 'fresh to market.' It's changed hands at least once in the past couple years.

I just realized ... I've been outbid on every single Jim Lee/Scott Williams piece I've ever gone after, yet own 3 All JL pieces. Does that make me a founding member of the JLPC??? :)

P.S. this is my favorite of those ...

dazzJL.jpg

20 hours ago, fsumavila said:

something else to note before chocking up the two Jim Lee auction results as due to the rise of the JLPC is that the Wizard cover isn't 'fresh to market.' It's changed hands at least once in the past couple years.

I just realized ... I've been outbid on every single Jim Lee/Scott Williams piece I've ever gone after, yet own 3 All JL pieces. Does that make me a founding member of the JLPC??? :)

dazzJL.jpg

Love that! :)

On 6/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, fsumavila said:

dazzJL.jpg

Cool Piece. Nice inks.