• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

May Heritage Auction

Well, this one's already starting off well, with an Adams Batman cover, Byrne FF cover, Byrne X-Men 137 page, Perez JLA cover, McSpidey pages, and in the miscellaneous section there's a nice Kane Conan cover & splashes, Wrightson, and lots of Bronze Age Spidey art (Andru, Frenz, Leonardi, Romita Jr, Pollard). 

On 3/11/2017 at 8:56 AM, delekkerste said:

Lots of Kirby...I guess the fears of legal action from a couple/few months ago have abated? hm 

I did a breakdown of the SA Kirby pages so far as to their inventory/ provenance status --can't see if any of them are signed by Jack yet.

Amazing Adventures 6, pg 10: Marvel had 23 pages in 1980. Kirby drew 13 pages in this issue and was returned 8 in 1987. Did some or all of the missing 5 go to the estate of the inker, George Klein, or accidentally to Ayers? At any rate it's possible this page passed through Kirby's possession.

FF 34, pg 19: Marvel had 21 pages in 1980, returned 13 to Kirby in 1987. But which ones?

FF 78, p19: This whole book was missing at the time of the 1980 inventory, and so, naturally, no pages were ever returned to Kirby.

TTA 7, 5pg complete story: Marvel had 18 pages from the issue in 1980, none were returned to Kirby (an obvious problem with many page provenances is that neither the 1980 inventory NOR the 1987 return list specify WHICH pages specifically, so these 5 pages could have been missing even before 1980). 

Yep.  Prime Ditko ASM battle page with Gobby and Spidey in every panel (well, Gobby, anyway) and an iconic panel one.
Condition issues - which are minor for OA - will have little to no impact on this page.
Condition, which plays a pretty important part in Comic book collecting, isn't nearly as significant in OA (being each page is one-of-a-kind).

15 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yeah, upon first glance I liked this page, too.  However after giving it a closer look, and reading the page description, the condition issues are concerning.

They don't really bother me.

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

They don't really bother me.

Its a dynamite page.   The rip and crease don't bother me, but the "overall toning" worries me somewhat.   It suggests its going to look a lot darker at home on your wall than in heritage's scan.

Some people don't mind yellow/tan bristol but it does bother me personally.     Not that I'm in the market for a page this pricey anyways.

A quick question to all Sandman Fan's on the board.  I saw this in the Miscellaneous section of the May auction and it seems very familiar.  I mean, I remember reading whatever comic this page is from, and I think its a Sandman comic, but I'm hoping someone is able to recognize the artist, and possibly the story arc or even the issue number?  its killing me not being able to remember it.

27 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

A quick question to all Sandman Fan's on the board.  I saw this in the Miscellaneous section of the May auction and it seems very familiar.  I mean, I remember reading whatever comic this page is from, and I think its a Sandman comic, but I'm hoping someone is able to recognize the artist, and possibly the story arc or even the issue number?  its killing me not being able to remember it.

Got a link to the auction?

Edited by GotSuperPowers?
Typo-fool

10 hours ago, Bird said:

Look at the second scan! Jill Thompson / Vince Locke, Sandman 45 p 21

D'oh!  many thanks...now I remember it more clearly.  The page is from the Brief Lives storyline, and the main stripper is Ishtar, Destruction's former girlfriend.