• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

"He thrives in isolation."

Much like the elusive and dangerous honey badger....duly noted.

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

If I were a consignor, I don't think I would like it like this.

This auction is just incredible and theres really so much breadth and depth here that it will suck money out of a lot of wallets.  Honestly, I wouldn't worry for the HA consignors... I'd worry for the Clink consignors as their auction comes after HA has taken everyone's money.

What methodology did they use to determine what goes on Thursday vs Friday?  At a glance, I saw two Featured pieces by the same artist for two different titles and they are on different days (and they are actually from the same consignor).  And it wasn't alphabetical by title as the one later in the alphabet is on Thursday. 

17 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

What methodology did they use to determine what goes on Thursday vs Friday?  At a glance, I saw two Featured pieces by the same artist for two different titles and they are on different days (and they are actually from the same consignor).  And it wasn't alphabetical by title as the one later in the alphabet is on Thursday. 

Based on my tracked lots, I'd say money.

The most expensive stuff seems to be going first. The Fritz the Cat, the unused Byrne 137, the Frazettas, etc. The 5-6 figure pieces.

Everything I'm tracking on the 20th seems like 4 figures at most.

39 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Right, but that's always been the case--Saturday Internet-only pieces are generally lesser value.  But how did they decide between Thursday and Friday?

Thursday is supposed to be Platinum Night, for the big ticket items. 

48 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

That's what I thought originally or all the Featured items on Thursday etc.  But the first example I looked at shows they made a wrong decision at least in one instance if that was their intent.    The Starlin Captain Marvel #29 page 1 splash with the Avengers and Thanos to be auctioned on Friday is a lock to go higher than the Starlin Iron Man #55 endpage with IM and the Destroyer to be auctioned on Thursday.  

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I am holding out for the Dilithium Morning section.

12 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

That's what I thought originally or all the Featured items on Thursday etc.  But the first example I looked at shows they made a wrong decision at least in one instance if that was their intent.    The Starlin Captain Marvel #29 page 1 splash with the Avengers and Thanos to be auctioned on Friday is a lock to go higher than the Starlin Iron Man #55 endpage with IM and the Destroyer to be auctioned on Thursday.  

In that same vein, HA's auctioning Ron Lim's Infinity War pages on Friday and Infinity Gauntlet pages on Saturday ???

10 hours ago, cstojano said:

I am watching over 100 lots from this auction...let alone what CLink has on offer. Yet there never seems to be those last day deals because everyone has run out of money.

I've finally had the time to review the listings fully for this auction and I'm tracking over 350 pieces.  Of the pieces I'm tracking, I'd estimate that I'm very interested in a few dozen and will be bidding on them with the hope of winning at least 5 pieces.  For Spidey fans, this auction has so many nice examples for collectors to consider with pages and/or covers by:

• Ditko
  • Romita Sr
  • Andru
  • Pollard
  • Romita Jr
  • Leonardi
  • Frenz
  • McFarlane
  • Bagley

Plus, there's an X-Men splash featuring Spidey and a Kirby FF page with Spidey, too!  :whee:

On 4/26/2017 at 9:26 PM, tth2 said:

Yeah, it seems like comics and OA are all mixed up this time.  No pure comic days and pure OA days.

I think Heritage's strategy is to get the OA collectors seeing where AF #15 prices are these days*, which will make even OA prices look cheap by comparison. :insane: 

*While many/most asset classes are overvalued these days, the market for AF #15s (CGC 6.5s up 30% since just the end of last year, on top of all the gains before then; CGC 9.0 last sale: $395K) and 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle cards (PSA 8s up more than 7.5-fold in less than 6 years...why??  Did they make a Mickey Mantle movie? Did the Chinese start buying them?  Did people start caring about baseball again?  RIDICULOUS) have reached Tulipomania/Nikkei 1989/Nasdaq 2000/Housing 2005-6 levels of absurdity. 

Edited by delekkerste

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Ditko ASM 23 page has a reserve, although it should be met, based on comments others have made on this thread.

Just noticed the Brunner Man-thing cover nearly doubled overnite ?

Brunner Covers do not come up often. And this one has the damsel in distress.  Fear 16 sold  for $29,000 last year.