• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grass Kings by Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins BOOM!

14 posts in this topic

Grass Kings by Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins BOOM!

Issue #1 was an interesting read. The book is a lot more subtle than most books featuring communities living off the grid. Brigg's Land for example is a very aggressive book in tone and in action. We're only one book in the so it impossible to say exactly which direction the tale will lead. What we do get is a glimpse at both a history and a life lesson in the first half of the book and an introduction to the community in the second half. 

Reading this last night, it seemed more like Jeff Lemire had written and painted this and that's a great thing. Matt Kindt is a good, sometimes, a very good writer. Same can be said for Tyler Jenkins but here, they both shine. The book looks fantastic. Water colors are not a personal favorite but these just drawn you in. They go from bold to soft and back to bold by the end of the 1st issue. 

Strongly recommend that you give this one a try. The Staples variant is cool because...well, she rocks ! There is a variant that seems to be hard to find and a Hip Hopf variant. Its a BOOM! book with 4 covers so all are likely to be a little tough to find at the LCS after the first week or two. 

This is page will be updated with some cover pics, reviews, and such as time permits.

Its nice to see  BOOM!, Oni, and Dark Horse putting out all of these high quality stories. Add those to the wonderful stuff being put out at Image, a sort of resurgence at DC, and a few book like Spider-man Deadpool from Marvel comics are fun to read....again....

grass kings 1.jpg

Reviews for issue #1

Edited by the authority

I absolutely LOVED this first issue. I loved the introduction, really set the tone for the rest of the book, and what I imagine we can expect to come down the road. And the mystery element towards the end has me hooked.

Can't wait to get my hands on my copies its getting great reviews all around and the fact that its not being mentioned is pretty crazy considering what the first issues are selling for already.Great review by the way Tom as always.

Got my package just now and gave it a read love the water color art and the quality of the book itself that being said interesting first issue definitely left me wondering wtf is going on im in for the next issue.

Unfortunately all of my staples variants had top corner damage and i received no cover B sucks but a good book nonetheless.

Read issue #2 today and just have to say that this just keeps getting better.

The watercolors really help to add a melancholy to the dialogue. I've been

following Matt for quite a while and his writing just keeps getting better at

making you think, feel or root for his characters and their respective situations.

Too bad he's not making it to C2E2 this year, would've liked to get my books signed.

Edited by Holden Caulfield

Meant to comment on this one the other day but got busy and forgot to get around to it. Issue #2 was very, very good. It seems that there are 4, maybe 5 threads running together to form one grand story that is very down to earth. At least 2 of those threads merge by the end of this issue. Its ironic that stories that take place in such a small place end up having so many things happening. The writing is superb and its easy to get wrapped up in the characters. 

Someone mentioned the water colors and they are beautiful. I caught myself staring at the shading and details, which at first didn't seem so detailed to me. I'm already in waitmode for issue #3 and I hope this book lasts a very long time.