• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 19?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Silver Surfer 19?

Of course, the series ended on #18 but I'm wondering if there's any apocrypha out there about the unpublished #19? Is it sitting in a file somewhere; are the unpublished pages dispersed out there, etc? The ending of #18 (below) indicates a new direction in which the Surfer was to be a Namor-type rather than a gentle soul. I've always wondered about where this was to go, even if it was to be for an issue or two. Anyone ever hear or read anything on this?

image_zps0zbmyshy.jpeg

Doesn't sound like there's a follow-up story, according to this from the Kirby Museum:

Kirby was brought in to give a new direction to the reportedly under-performing SILVER SURFER book with this issue, inked by Herb Trimpe, who was apparently supposed to take over the art with the next issue. Said next issue doesn’t exist, of course, and the issue ends on a cliffhanger that I believe isn’t even acknowledged in the next Surfer story.

On March 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM, namisgr said:

Doesn't sound like there's a follow-up story, according to this from the Kirby Museum:

Kirby was brought in to give a new direction to the reportedly under-performing SILVER SURFER book with this issue, inked by Herb Trimpe, who was apparently supposed to take over the art with the next issue. Said next issue doesn’t exist, of course, and the issue ends on a cliffhanger that I believe isn’t even acknowledged in the next Surfer story.

Thank you! That's too bad, but it does seem to  answer it.

On 3/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, namisgr said:

I think the "Savage Silver Surfer" was never referenced again because the whole reason Stan went in that direction in the first place was out of desperation about Goodman cancelling the book.  Once the plug was pulled there was no reason to continue with a storyline he probably never wanted to do anyway.  

8 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

I think the "Savage Silver Surfer" was never referenced again because the whole reason Stan went in that direction in the first place was out of desperation about Goodman cancelling the book.  Once the plug was pulled there was no reason to continue with a storyline he probably never wanted to do anyway.  

I think Stan gave it to Kirby to appease Kirby, who was ticked that Buscema was drawing the title. Something along those lines.

Kirby's vision of the Surfer differed with Stan's and it was a bone of contention for Kirby.

33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I think Stan gave it to Kirby to appease Kirby, who was ticked that Buscema was drawing the title. Something along those lines.

Kirby's vision of the Surfer differed with Stan's and it was a bone of contention for Kirby.

It's my understanding that Kirby was only brought in to do the one issue. I know the Surfer series, with Stan's origin and Buscema's art ,was one of the final, straws on the camel's back, for Kirby's run at Marvel.  It's also my understanding that Goodman thought the low selling Surfer series was not only too highbrow, but that the protagonist was also too much a pacifist, and that it was his influence that brought about the, 'Savage Silver Surfer.'

So much potential in the character (as Starln and Lim proved 20+ years later), wasted. I'll never understand how Submariner lasted 72 issues, and chromedome only lasted 18.

Can you imagine how awesome a Bronze Silver Surfer run could have been...?

Well...there was a Bronze Captain Marvel run, and that was pretty good at points. Of course, CM got cancelled a coupla times during the run, too, so...

2 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

It's my understanding that Kirby was only brought in to do the one issue. I know the Surfer series, with Stan's origin and Buscema's art ,was one of the final, straws on the camel's back, for Kirby's run at Marvel.  It's also my understanding that Goodman thought the low selling Surfer series was not only too highbrow, but that the protagonist was also too much a pacifist, and that it was his influence that brought about the, 'Savage Silver Surfer.'

I think that Stan gave Kirby the issue to do, with Kirby not realizing it was going to be cancelled.

I can't remember if specifically handing SS to Buscema or it was giving Kirby the last issue that was the 'final straw' but yeah, I am pretty sure that it was the Surfer in general that did it.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I think the "last straw" was the humiliating, almost punitive contract Kirby was asked to sign. Marvel was daring him to leave. 

This is much more likely.   Kirby's original Silver Surfer was one of several minions for Galactus in FF 48.   Stan's enthusiastic reaction for Galactus' guy on a board (as opposed to Galactus's guy who gave really mean head butts) precedes any indications that Jack had big plans for the character.  So, we cannot be sure what Jack thought initially.  I do remember reading a vaguish description of what Jack's feelings were for the origin story, but that came after Stan had pushed him to make the Surfer more important.  His pacifism and penchant for philosophizing showed up very quickly in the FF run, so either Stan pushed for that or Jack did it on his (or it was a combination of both), and that was very much in keeping with the sort of origin story that was later fleshed out.   So it just doesn't seem likely that Jack's departure from Marvel was largely determined by Stan's treatment of the Surfer.  

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Readcomix said:

Silver Surfer 19?

Of course, the series ended on #18 but I'm wondering if there's any apocrypha out there about the unpublished #19? Is it sitting in a file somewhere; are the unpublished pages dispersed out there, etc? The ending of #18 (below) indicates a new direction in which the Surfer was to be a Namor-type rather than a gentle soul. I've always wondered about where this was to go, even if it was to be for an issue or two. Anyone ever hear or read anything on this?

Probably not responsive, but there was this return to the character by Kirby and Lee.

The 'Fireside' book from late 70s.

surf.jpg.5793cbf3ff59c934e33c3db214a8efe9.jpg

1 hour ago, grebal said:

Probably not responsive, but there was this return to the character by Kirby and Lee.

The 'Fireside' book from late 70s.

surf.jpg.5793cbf3ff59c934e33c3db214a8efe9.jpg

That's a great book, Greg, a Lee/Kirby original tale, but it doesn't pick up where the regular run left off. I actually thought that Fireside book reads like a Christ allegory. Of course it's been a while; I should reread it and see if it still hits me that way.

11 hours ago, Memorex said:

I found this on the Internet! Sombody has this cover art!

SILVER SURFER.jpg

Do you have a link to where you saw that?

Wondering if that's some sort of recreation or the real thing. First I've seen it.