• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 19?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Do you have a link to where you saw that?

Wondering if that's some sort of recreation or the real thing. First I've seen it.

this is a very interesting piece of art. at first it looks quite authentic. surfer is sort of well drawn (not his hands). but the design is just awful. surfer and galactus same size, cramped into a small part of the cover...this can't be the same man responsible for ss3 and ss4, two of the most dynamic covers ever! then, i notice the underside of the surfboard. come on now, that's awful. just random lines? seems to be a strong indicator that it's a fake to me. and galactus is completely drawn in kirby's style, not buscema's. i'm no expert but this seems bogus. does that signature look real to anyone who's an expert on sigs?

22 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is a very interesting piece of art. at first it looks quite authentic. surfer is sort of well drawn (not his hands). but the design is just awful. surfer and galactus same size, cramped into a small part of the cover...this can't be the same man responsible for ss3 and ss4, two of the most dynamic covers ever! then, i notice the underside of the surfboard. come on now, that's awful. just random lines? seems to be a strong indicator that it's a fake to me. and galactus is completely drawn in kirby's style, not buscema's. i'm no expert but this seems bogus. does that signature look real to anyone who's an expert on sigs?

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=40415

15 hours ago, Memorex said:

Yeah it's a commision.  The current owner has several other cover recreations with stat overlays and in some of the descriptions he credits James Pascoe for the work. 

edit: to be clear, James  for the stat work.  Not the original art.

Edited by Unca Ben

9 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Yeah it's a commision.  The current owner has several other cover recreations with stat overlays and in some of the descriptions he credits James Pascoe for the work. 

edit: to be clear, James  for the stat work.  Not the original art.

i guess it's believable that j buscema did this artwork, since aspects of it are very high level. i just felt suspicious that it was really buscema since there are aspects of this that are really sub-par for such a top level artist. perhaps it was done by Sal.