• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Bronze Age Advertisements 1st Up Raquel Welch Inflatable Pillow
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Post Your Favorite Bronze Age Advertisements 1st Up Raquel Welch Inflatable Pillow

I run across a bunch of cool interesting ads inside the comics I read from when I was a kid. I ran into this one last night and I starting thinking a thread would be fun.

I wonder how many of these were actually ordered from the comic book ad? Post your favorites!

20170313_154508_zpsrviw8um2.jpg

Edited by JB123

1 hour ago, JB123 said:

I run across a bunch of cool interesting ads inside the comics I read from when I was a kid. I ran into this one last night and I starting thinking a thread would be fun.

I wonder how many of these were actually ordered from the comic book ad? Post your favorites!

20170313_154508_zpsrviw8um2.jpg

Cheaply made.  Didn't last the first night.

I was going to post my favourite ad, the Polaris submarine, but given the context above it would seem too obviously phallic.

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was going to post my favourite ad, the Polaris submarine, but given the context above it would seem too obviously phallic.

Probably so........... I wonder what kids were doing with all those X-Ray Specs that were sold through the comics? I always wanted a pair of those......

37 minutes ago, piper said:

Anyone buy the sea monkeys?

I never bought them by post, living in England.

But, I have seen them.  They're a bit rubbish.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I always pictured the Raquel Welch pillow to be sort of shaped like a human being. Didn't realize it was just  a big pillow with her picture on it, although looking back at the original ad that shouldn't have been a surprise.

Did anyone ever buy the Polaris Nuclear Sub? I'm guessing that was just a cardboard box with a picture of a submarine on the side :flamed:

Edited by Dave2739

2 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

Did anyone ever buy the Polaris Nuclear Sub? I'm guessing that was just a cardboard box with a picture of a submarine on the side :flamed:

Yup.  That's all it was, basically.   In the 70s I was very envious of American kids being able to run silent and deep in one beneath a reservoir, lake, etc.   So, I was glad to hear I didn't miss anything.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  That's all it was, basically.   In the 70s I was very envious of American kids being able to run silent and deep in one beneath a reservoir, lake, etc.   So, I was glad to hear I didn't miss anything.

I don't have it in front of me, but I seem to recall seeing a similar-looking ad for a tank. Again, I'm sure it was just a cardboard box with an illustration of a tank on the side.

1 hour ago, Foley said:

Pic of the sub I found online:

Polaris-Nuclear-Submarine.jpg

An interesting read about other mail order gizmos

http://www.cracked.com/article_16310_12-comic-book-ads-that-taught-us-to-be-cynical.html

I was a very fat kid and tall for my age. I'd never have got inside that.

oh man, what a P.O.S.!! Thanks for posting that pic, Foley. I have to admit, it's slightly more elaborate than I imagined, but I have a hard time picturing two kids fitting in that thing as was advertised. The kid in the photo looks pretty young (6-8 years old maybe?) and it's already a tight fit.

17 hours ago, piper said:

Anyone buy the sea monkeys?

I had Sea Monkeys.  They were cool for about two days then their little "bowl" became cluttered with cloudy stuff and it was impossible to clean and replace the water. They survived for a week or so.   I think one needs a pretty sophisticated system to keep these things alive and thriving.  As a 4th grader I wasn't all that savvy.