• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Bronze Age Advertisements 1st Up Raquel Welch Inflatable Pillow
2 2

33 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I had Sea Monkeys.  They were cool for about two days then their little "bowl" became cluttered with cloudy stuff and it was impossible to clean and replace the water. They survived for a week or so.   I think one needs a pretty sophisticated system to keep these things alive and thriving.  As a 4th grader I wasn't all that savvy.  

Brine shrimp don't look even remotely ape-like.

They lied!

Edited by Ken Aldred

I recall sending away cash money for the complete fishing gear set up (rods, reels, hooks, bobbers, lures etc-- even a tackle box-- the number 129 items sticks out in my mind). Never heard back from them at all. They kept my money too. Never tried mail order again.

Had a friend with the sea monkeys-- yep, just brine shrimp but if you think about it-- those were sort of cool since they seemingly came to life. Possibly more interesting and I think this was a companion piece to the sea monkeys was the crystals kit (sorry-- not sure what they called it exactly). You would put the powder in the water and crystalline structures would begin to form over time-- with varying colors to them as well.

I think half the fun of those ads was reading them as a kid and letting your imagination go wild with what wonders could be had for such a small cost.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Possibly more interesting and I think this was a companion piece to the sea monkeys was the crystals kit (sorry-- not sure what they called it exactly). You would put the powder in the water and crystalline structures would begin to form over time-- with varying colors to them as well.

Sounds like a classic Water Glass / metal silicate crystal garden. As a young science nerd, I used to like those.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/29/2017 at 10:20 PM, 01TheDude said:

I recall sending away cash money for the complete fishing gear set up (rods, reels, hooks, bobbers, lures etc-- even a tackle box-- the number 129 items sticks out in my mind). Never heard back from them at all. They kept my money too. Never tried mail order again.

I bought the Super Hang Ups.  Just as instructed, I had them hanging on my bedroom wall!  lol Should still have the Superman and Spider-Man "Decoplaques" around here somewhere.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:20 PM, 01TheDude said:

Had a friend with the sea monkeys-- yep, just brine shrimp but if you think about it-- those were sort of cool since they seemingly came to life. Possibly more interesting and I think this was a companion piece to the sea monkeys was the crystals kit (sorry-- not sure what they called it exactly). You would put the powder in the water and crystalline structures would begin to form over time-- with varying colors to them as well.

I think half the fun of those ads was reading them as a kid and letting your imagination go wild with what wonders could be had for such a small cost.

Had both of these as a kid. The sea Monkeys I remember swimming around in a greenish liquid and waiting patiently for them to grow into sea apes with crowns! :facepalm: 

The colored crystals were very cool though, I remember some of them growing till they reached the top of the bowl and spreading out along the waterline. Once they reached their desired height I think we dumped out the chemical mixture and replaced with plain water. That stopped them from growing any larger.