• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is The Comic Industry's Reliance on Variant Covers Sustainable?

125 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

There is a huge difference between the discussion on the CGC Boards and the Comic Book Resources boards. Go to CBR and hang out in the DC and Marvel sections for a bit and you will see a lively community of people who actually read between the covers. You rarely see mention of variants, it's mostly about plots and characters and the discussion certainly gets heated because the members there genuinely care about the stories. The nature of these boards is most certainly going to attract more "collectors" and flippers, but its disingenuous to paint the entire comics community with such a broad brush using the Modern section as your sample.

This often gets ignored. This board sometimes believes they are norm of the hobby and not just the small section of the hobby they are.
Now this section is growing and honestly propping up the hobby currently, but at the same time killing it, but continuing to allow poor quality books 
to be purchases in large numbers as speculation.

I'm officially done collecting new release comics or any comics released after 2000 because the variant game has absolutely burned me out.

If I like the cover on a comic I will buy it. I like joker covers and they make a ton of variants with joker on the cover. I’m a dealer and collector but I will buy those variants because I like them and don’t worry about the  monetary value of them. As long as people like them and keep buying them they will continue making them. 

On 12/26/2017 at 11:46 AM, darkstar said:
On 3/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, letsgrumble said:

Random comment: I've been tuning into some of these "comic haul" videos on YouTube recently (some are great; some are painful). One recent poster said he received an ASM #300 in a trade for a Superior Carnage #1 Checchetto variant. I thought WTF? That's BS! But then I checked recent eBay sales and, yes, they go for roughly the same amount. It's a strange market out there.

And now ASM 300 is $2000 in 9.8 and Superior Carnage #1 Checchetto is $200 in 9.8.

But I'm sure the return on that "rare" Checchetto variant is just around the corner. 

lol 

The Superior Carnage #1 variant in 9.8 is hovering around the $200 mark. There are still some believers out there!

ScreenShot.jpg.b6578de12cb361da16617cbc517c6380.jpg

On 12/26/2017 at 12:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

This often gets ignored. This board sometimes believes they are norm of the hobby and not just the small section of the hobby they are.
Now this section is growing and honestly propping up the hobby currently, but at the same time killing it, but continuing to allow poor quality books 
to be purchases in large numbers as speculation.

Agreed!

Also a good majority of people read their comic books on Kindle Fire and iPad now. You would never know it with this board. lol.

Really hard to beat the convenience and price of Marvel Masterworks and Epic collections between $3 and $5 last week on Amazon.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur