• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, vodou said:

or is this sort of mental masturbation for how the fmv of your own collections might be enhanced by the profile bump? 

Go back to Pete's initial comment.    He is disappointed how few hits he gets on pieces he'd like to scratch various itches with, but can't.     Yeah sure, there's probably some mental rubbing of the schmeckle re collection values but more so than values?   Liquidity.   Scheduled auctions.   Nice quality catalogs.   Things coming out of the woodwork.   Stuff that comic people take for granted that doesn't happen without the platform.

You're right about the art being an extension of the actual material, for the most part.    Maybe an auction platform has to happen from dealers in that material, its just that heritage does such a d*mn fine job that it would be nice, schmeckle in hand.   Particularly since they are the one house that does do some standalone (non-comic) art.

Edited by Bronty

I'd like to think the better inroad would be with Hake's but that's just because they already handle such a wide variety of Americana-type material. No idea if their management would actually see that market as viable. I understand the appeal of HA, all the reasons you listed...it almost makes it easier to discuss our obsessions with non-hobbyists, doesn't it? Maybe not quite so childish this stuff (as we approach the first $1m US comic art hammer.) But all that comes at a price. A rather hefty price for consignor and winning bidder, all that taken out of the equation that clears back to the consignor. Just like renting out the whole floor of your favorite hotel so you don't have to worry if your neighbors will complain that the tv is too loud.

55 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I don't care if it's held by Larry's Love Shack Auctions.  I just want a conduit to get the art "out there" so i have a shot at it =)

Right now, M:TG Art exchange and IX are really the only ways art gets "out there" today, and those are public auction houses or anything.  it's almost all private deals or ebay.

I've been way too spoiled with comic art, having tons of dealers and art reps and auction houses and CAF.  Illustration Art is much different.

I don't mind the fact that its different, or I haven't minded for all these years I've collected because I didn't mind doing the spade work, but yeah, its getting old. 

Just having it all be in one place would be dreamy.    Instead of having to check 47 different places all of which were low probability.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I don't care if it's held by Larry's Love Shack Auctions.  I just want a conduit to get the art "out there" so i have a shot at it =)

Right now, M:TG Art exchange and IX are really the only ways art gets "out there" today, and those are public auction houses or anything.  it's almost all private deals or ebay.

I've been way too spoiled with comic art, having tons of dealers and art reps and auction houses and CAF.  Illustration Art is much different.

31 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I don't mind the fact that its different, or I haven't minded for all these years I've collected because I didn't mind doing the spade work, but yeah, its getting old. 

Just having it all be in one place would be dreamy.    Instead of having to check 47 different places all of which were low probability.

Is that what this side-conversation was really about: not having to do the spade work? Okay, I get that. I'm tired too. That was way more fun in my twenties when I had many more wants than money, reaching out to artists and especially inkers to try to make deals before eBay really took off (that killed getting anything for significantly less than fmv forever and ever). Back then it was a good thing that it didn't all hit the market every Sunday or even every quarter! Now...eff it :) the formula is flipped - few wants and (usually) the money to make them happen when they pop up or watch them go to somebody else for way too much money :) (If you outbid me on my true actual "wants" today you have definitely overpaid to the tune of 2025 prices.)

It’s part of it.    This convo isn’t really about any one thing other than there is a lot of infrastructure in comics and comic oa that would be nice to see elsewhere.    Why do we do we want to see that infrastructure.. well.. I’ve identified at least five reasons... and probably some I’m missing

Hello all. Was hoping to put some detective skills to work here and see if someone knows either what publication or at least who the artist is who painted this? It’s about 3 feet by 5 feet on board. No identification marks other than the edges have a lot of accurate measurements indicating size the piece must be (guidelines like you would see on comic art marvel or dc pages). It would be from the 40s or 50s most likely.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ECE8B95C-0163-4A71-AB25-34F0D1485D6C.jpeg