• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

I recently bought three illustrations from artist Mark Salwowski (https://www.salwowski.com/) :

Barrayar, an unpublished cover for a Lois McMaster Bujold book. According to the artist "the artwork was done in the UK in the early 90’s" Despite its title I wonder if this painting could have been for another of Lois McMaster Bujold books in the Barrayar/Vorkosigan series. It doesn't really fit the "Barrayar" novel and would have been more appropriate for "The Warrior's Apprentice" or "The Vor Game" , since the male character looks like he could be the small Miles Vorkosigan who doesn't appear much in Barrayar.

Earth shuttle and Comet rendezvous, illustrations for Omega (Australian science magazine). I was only interested in the cover at first but considering Mr Salwowski very reasonnable prices, the shipping cost and my own taste for sci-fi / space art it was a no brainer to add those two pieces. And they're quite big.

saTBrZkP_2708191615331sbpi.jpg

UJqiqFg5_2608191537011sbpi.jpg

5baOL8rI_2608191536251gpadd.jpg

GOT association drove the price.   Hard to say what something like that should go for but 47k seems like full but not outrageous value.   

Its 10% of that (or less?) if its not on the cover of the book.

Jones is an interesting character.   So much talent and some great works and yet a lot of his(her) works leave me flat as well.

Edited by Bronty

That was a pretty well known Jones piece prior to GoT being the HBO driven phenomenon. I remember seeing it around a lot in the 90s, and had no idea about the book.  NO WAY it’d be 1/10 the price without the association. More like 8-12k at lowest.

Just me, but I think it displays awful due to being a wraparound with for publication layout required (but there are ways that artists deal with this too resulting in pieces that work in print and on the wall, just not here).

Huge piece. Lots of air. But oddly grounded on each end. Meh. For any price. Maybe much better in person? (that happens too)

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

GOT association drove the price.   Hard to say what something like that should go for but 47k seems like full but not outrageous value.   

Its 10% of that (or less?) if its not on the cover of the book.

Jones is an interesting character.   So much talent and some great works and yet a lot of his(her) works leave me flat as well.

It's a lovely piece, but, late-era Jones without the GoT association...I guess it could crack $10K, but, I'd probably take the under.  Maybe not sub-10% of the price, but, I'd probably guess sub-20%. 2c 

It will be interesting to see how well the GoT premium holds up over time.  

The smart money would have been to move this prior to that last season of the show, when the frenzy was at it's zenith.
Even if a new book (much less the one afte that) ever comes out, I don't think it'll ever have the level of interest it did during that span between next the last season, and the one prior.

I'd prefer to have the Youll paintings for books two and three-

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=Stephen+Youll&GCat=93890&GSub=159302

Then, the Mike S. Miller Rhaeger print pencils. After that, probably Michael Komarck pieces. Vess had a nice GOT Subterranean piece on his table at Big Apple Con many years ago that I regret not buying.

Edited by BCarter27

As a pinball fan, I was very happy to recently purchase the backglass illustration for the Williams classic, The Machine (Bride of Pin-bot).

If video game / pinball / rpg etc art is of interest, please check out our related facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/502536466816380/

And our new, fresh off the press buy/sell group for the same material.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/759246584570374/

(Lastly, it appears heritage will be selling a minor game cover (Laser Lords, philips CDI) in the May auction - so that should prove interesting).

bride.jpg

Edited by Bronty

Here is the laser lords game cover mentioned above that will be sold at heritage in May.   Philips CDI is an F- system with F- titles, but its not a bad illustration.

LL.jpg

I wonder if heritage didn’t note the offer history on some of the past things that slipped through the cracks like this Mickey Mouse sega cover that sold for 2k but has had offers through their system of over 60.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/mickey-mouse-and-castle-illustration-original-art-walt-disney-c-1990s-/a/7142-97220.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515