• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

tenor.gif

My response?

Sal Buscema 100k, Herb Trimpe 700k ;)   At the end of the day, a significant part of value is disassociated from craft in every 'art' hobby.  ;)

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

tenor.gif

maybe you prefer the offer history on this one (a good buy at $286, apparently).

For a fun mental exercise, try to follow the placement of the left arm :insane:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/don-punchatz-doom-gaming-magazine-cover-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/829-42402.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

I wonder if heritage didn’t note the offer history on some of the past things that slipped through the cracks like this Mickey Mouse sega cover that sold for 2k but has had offers through their system of over 60.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/mickey-mouse-and-castle-illustration-original-art-walt-disney-c-1990s-/a/7142-97220.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I remember thinking $25,000 was a rich offer when this came up for discussion in 2018. Hard to believe someone would turn down $61,000, but clearly financial gain is not their priority. 

I just wrapped up a finished piece by an artist I first learned about through Heritage’s illustration auctions. Through the internet I went to contact the artist direct. His name is Hubert de Lartigue and he creates photo realism and hyperrealism paintings that leave me detached from whatever I’m supposed to be doing. https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1613072

Edited by Junkdrawer

I thought the prices seemed soft as well. Quite a few items I was watching barely made the low end of their estimates. I was quite surprised the McGinnis painting they used for the cover of the the auction catalog barely made its low end estimate.  Although the size was definitely a negative factor for me. 

I figured this thread could use a little bump!

I acquired a piece that takes me right back to the turn of the century. I became a huge Resident Evil fan back in middle school (my first introduction being Resident Evil 2 on the N64 in 1999). I read the entire book series by S.D. Perry many times over and was thrilled to recently acquire the only traditionally created cover art for the book series and one of the handful of actual paintings for the whole franchise. The art is by Steve Gardner for Capcom/Pocket Books.

105877861_686825058718016_4988923975985106273_n.thumb.jpg.9c3ac7dfca26997bd1a416aa0e983248.jpg

sharp_20210405_144613_0001_stitch-s.jpg

Here is a surprising piece.
It's the cover for Norvegian comic magazine titled Magnum by a Spanish artist.
But the main character is heavily inspired by The Punisher, the 1989 comic book adaptation featuring Dolph Lundgren.
I wrote a lenghty report about this painting here (in french) : https://diogensclub.wordpress.com/2021/04/25/punisher-espagnol-pour-magnum-norvegien/

Edited by Mycroft

7 hours ago, vodou said:

Some stuff I had my eye on (and perhaps won ;) )

Same.  Who ever said "sex sells" was right.  Even so, I got what I consider to be a "bargain". 

Edited by Will_K

On 3/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Just picked up this Ford Vs. Ferrari illustration from late 60s/early 70s. The only car art in my collection.

Don't know the artist or the history, but a tag on the back shows it hung in an office at the US army in 1973.

I am not a big car enthusiast-  but loved the recent film with matt Damon and Christian Bale. Also enjoy looking at classic cars.  If anyone has any knowledge on this one - would love to hear from you.  

Anyone here into classic cars or car art?

See the tag and feel free to comment on my CAF HERE

tq3fcy74_2303200606181gpadd.jpg

Terrific painting.   First thing thru my head of all things is that I'd bet the artist is left handed.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Picked up a neat piece by Donato Giancola titled, "Rangers of Arnor".  This was published in his Middle Earth illustration book.  If you are a fan, highly recommend picking up that book of 200 pages of wonderful illustrations by a master craftsman.  The drawing is watercolor pencil and chalk on paper.  Paper is 11" x 14" framed and matted to 16" x 20".  His framing, and I think he really chose well.  

Rangers of Arnor - Donato.jpg

Rangers of Arnor Framed - Donato.jpg

Very pleasing to the eye :)