• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Bronty...I know I prefer your pencils, so don't complain ;)

Well, that's your opinion, let's not rehash that discussion ;)

Edited by Bronty

Added a new piece of art to CAF.

Don't know much about the artist -but it appears to be from a men's adventure magazine - possibly 1960s.

artist is F. Scottwood.  If you know anything about the artist, feel free to share.

A link to some of my other vintage illustration art here.

f scottwood.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1

First of all, big thanks to turtleboy!

Not yet in hand, but I'm excited to pick this up so I'm posting the small pic I have anyways.

Donkey Kong was released in 1981 as an arcade machine and was of course, a massive hit.     An overnight sensation, it was quickly released on home consoles (colecovision, intellivision, atari 2600) in 1982 and tabletop mini arcade format by Coleco as well.   It was the first game to feature either of Donkey Kong and Mario (in comic terms, the first appearance of both massively popular Nintendo characters).  

I am only aware of a couple of pieces of licensed Donkey Kong merchandise with a 1981 date - figures put out by Coleco, who had a strong early relationship with nintendo, and a board game.

The figures look like this:

Front of package

The back of the card click here showed the selection of figures available - donkey kong, mario, and pauline.    (All three of those shots are painted illustrations as opposed to photos, as there are clear differences between the illustrations and the toys).   This is the artwork for the Donkey Kong illustration on the back of the card.

It has to be said that pre 1987 video game related illustration pieces are almost completely non-existent.   This is to my knowledge by far the earliest Donkey Kong illustration and by far the earliest Nintendo related illustration that exists for the US Market!

thanks again Andrew!

WSGWrgf.jpg

Edited by Bronty

Not in my collection, but thought this would be the right place to post this as opposed to starting a new thread.  I have very fond memories of those Roger Hane covers to the Chronicles of Narnia books that are in Heritage's current Illustration Art sale.  I probably would have jumped all over them 10 years ago, but, at this stage of my collecting journey, I'm no longer feeling the need to go after every piece of nostalgic art that pops up.  Still, very cool stuff for those of us who grew up with those versions of the C.S. Lewis books!

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to Prince Caspian

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to The Silver Chair

There are 3 more also in the sale, but it's these 4 covers that I remember the most.  Anyone else feeling the love for these?

Edited by delekkerste

Hate to say those wouldn't ever be for me. Even if I had nostalgia for them, that's the kind of work where even super heavy heartfelt nostalgia couldn't make me buy something so.... The first one's not so bad, but they seem to progressively go downhill from there. But that's just IMO.

Where was Boris and his baby oil when they needed him?

Edited by ESeffinga

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Not in my collection, but thought this would be the right place to post this as opposed to starting a new thread.  I have very fond memories of those Roger Hane covers to the Chronicles of Narnia books that are in Heritage's current Illustration Art sale.  I probably would have jumped all over them 10 years ago, but, at this stage of my collecting journey, I'm no longer feeling the need to go after every piece of nostalgic art that pops up.  Still, very cool stuff for those of us who grew up with those versions of the C.S. Lewis books!

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to Prince Caspian

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Roger Hane - Paperback cover art to The Silver Chair

There are 3 more also in the sale, but it's these 4 covers that I remember the most.  Anyone else feeling the love for these?

I'm feeling the love for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. That opened up a lot of memories. I wish I could bid. 

Odd, I have a ton of nostalgia for the books, but those covers don't really ring my chimes at all. I guess the art just isn't my cuppa tea to the point where the nostalgia isn't important enough. There are books from my childhood that I might be interested in getting art from, but I would have to really want to put it on my wall at this point and those covers don't quite meet that test. I saw some art from Charlotte's Web a while back and that gave me a really big jolt of nostalgia and envy at the thought of owning it. I might also be tempted by a Tom Swift Jr. Cover as that was my series of choice over Hardy Boys. I was amazed to later discover my father had been into the original Tom Swift books in the 30's when I saw some copies at my Grandparents that they had kept from his childhood.

1 hour ago, furthur said:

Odd, I have a ton of nostalgia for the books, but those covers don't really ring my chimes at all. I guess the art just isn't my cuppa tea to the point where the nostalgia isn't important enough. There are books from my childhood that I might be interested in getting art from, but I would have to really want to put it on my wall at this point and those covers don't quite meet that test. I saw some art from Charlotte's Web a while back and that gave me a really big jolt of nostalgia and envy at the thought of owning it. I might also be tempted by a Tom Swift Jr. Cover as that was my series of choice over Hardy Boys. I was amazed to later discover my father had been into the original Tom Swift books in the 30's when I saw some copies at my Grandparents that they had kept from his childhood.

My initial reaction regarding the Narnia covers was similar to yours and Eric's, insofar as evaluating the art separate from my personal nostalgia for it.  But, the more I look at them, the more I like this bizarre mash-up of styles...I see elements of Renaissance, surrealism and Art Deco in these fantasy illustrations and it kind of works for me.  I'm almost tempted to go for one of them, but will probably come to my senses before the auction and refrain from buying more art that I don't need. lol 

I did some online research on the artist, Roger Hane - it seems that he was a highly respected, award-winning illustrator on the rise, before his life was tragically cut short at 36 when he was senselessly killed in a robbery. :(  Vanguard Publications published a book about him a few years ago; I'm tempted to check it out. 

Edited by delekkerste

33 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My initial reaction regarding the Narnia covers was similar to yours and Eric's, insofar as evaluating the art separate from my personal nostalgia for it.  But, the more I look at them, the more I like this bizarre mash-up of styles...I see elements of Renaissance, surrealism and Art Deco in these fantasy illustrations and it kind of works for me.  I'm almost tempted to go for one of them, but will probably come to my senses before the auction and refrain from buying more art that I don't need. lol 

I did some online research on the artist, Roger Hane - it seems that he was a highly respected, award-winning illustrator on the rise, before his life was tragically cut short at 36 when he was senselessly killed in a robbery. :(  Vanguard Publications published a book about him a few years ago; I'm tempted to check it out. 

Interesting research. His life is certainly something I'd be interested in reading more about. 

That paperback of Dawn Treader sat in my mother's drawer for years. I never read it. But my mother had some cool stuff in that drawer and for years I would rummage through it, similar to what my daughter does now.  She had other interesting paperbacks in there, all of which I thought about the covers, What is going on here? Anyway, the art might be "weak," but, man, that images opens a lot of memories. Good thing for someone that I'm too budgeted to run with the big boys (unless I joined forces with my brother...)

thanks for sharing Gene.   I must have read later editions as I don't recall those images.   Great books though.  

As for the illustrations, they show the time they were created in, and that's not a bad thing.   Overall I think they are nice illustrations and well worth bidding on if you enjoyed the books.    I like the Dawn Treader one best.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I take it back I guess I have read it as that appears to be a narnia book too

Agree with Bronty, the art is highly stylized and appropriate to the era* (late sixties, early seventies -think barely post-hippie and pre-disco), further and most important...it's intended to SELL children's books to children (not Art to Adults!) To get kids to grab them and beg Mommy to buy, or likewise be so absolutely cute and non-controversial that there's no way Mommy confuses said books with being anything but age appropriate for the Narnia-reading cohort. None of which make them worth HA's estimated $2500+ per in 2017. That I don't see unless somebody just has that money to burn on nostalgia. Rather small pieces, cute, but hardly wall-able...imo. Maybe a kid's room?

Same period Madeleine L'Engles...oh yes, please somebody auction those!

ed49421d8e5615f8f6cec007979a88aa.jpg

*Not the best period for art that holds up over the long term, the whole Underground Comix and SF psychedelic poster stuff aside!

I think they will sell for Heritage's estimates no problem.   2500 is nothing for such recognizable titles.    Yes there are limitations on the value but it seems to me heritage has accounted for those - these aren't 20k estimates after all.   It will be fun to see what these end at.    I'm going to guess 2-4 a pop.

I can understand how Gene's choices  of his favorite four reflect his love for those books, but my favorite image among them was "The Last Battle" I was also reminded a bit of "Yellow Submarine" art by some of the pieces-and though I pooh poohed the art here, I LOVE Yellow Submarine, so when I went back again and looked today I will admit to finding more charm in these pieces than I did the first time I looked. I bet this thread by itself has probably jumped the prices on some of these covers though-I certainly hadn't noticed them before.