• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do anyone have any examples of what to look for when grading for a newbie collectors

8 posts in this topic

do anyone have any examples of what to look for when grading for a newbie collectors

do anyone have any examples of what to look for when grading for a newbie collector like myself..

basic tips what to look for and what are bad or good etc..?

thanks

It's a very vague question to be honest.

In the simplest of terms, things to look for that are bad = defects. There's many types of defects: creasing (color breaking and non-color breaking), corner blunting, tears, indentations, waviness, staining, fading, water damage, general wear etc. (I'm sure I missed some)

Good things to look for are square corners, book lies flat, glossiness, tight spine, tight staples, page quality, and lack of defects mentioned above.

Lots of good resources out there, such as the ones marvelmaniac linked above, and more. Also, check out the PGM section of the boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

It will help you hone your skills.

Best of luck, and welcome!

sorry i know it was a bit vague, basically i'm new to collecting and looking at older books like silver and bronze age, i'm thinking of buying some to get cgc graded but i keep hearing things to look for on comics but no one post examples of bad things etc..

like colour breaks, non colour breaks, foxing, miswraps etc..  basically if anyone had photo's of good things to look for in a comic and the same for bad points to look out for

i'm sure you get what i mean, its just when i get the comics i would like to know what to look for if that make sense?

Non color breaking creases/indents.   Make sure you look at the book from all kinds of angles.  Angle the book so that the light reflects off the cover to your eye.  

Water spots/stains.   CGC will clobber you for any sort of staining. 

Dull corners

Look for amateur color touch (especially on black covers) by checking the inside cover for bleed-thru

Make sure you check the pages (count them if you have to).  Make sure nothing is missing (coupons, pages, etc...)

5 hours ago, movieman said:

sorry i know it was a bit vague, basically i'm new to collecting and looking at older books like silver and bronze age, i'm thinking of buying some to get cgc graded but i keep hearing things to look for on comics but no one post examples of bad things etc..

like colour breaks, non colour breaks, foxing, miswraps etc..  basically if anyone had photo's of good things to look for in a comic and the same for bad points to look out for

i'm sure you get what i mean, its just when i get the comics i would like to know what to look for if that make sense?

If you are new to collecting and want slabbed books, I'd focus on just buying books already slabbed for a while first. Simultaneously learning how to grade comics while purchasing them to send to CGC sounds like a formula to lose some money.