• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2017 at 2:14 AM, catman76 said:

I miss the comic conventions I went to in the late 80s and very early 90s. Just a bunch of old guys selling old comics in a VFW hall, it was quiet and all just comics with some  pulps and other old stuff. I am sure those still exist somewhere, just nowhere near me. How any of those wizard world and comic con things are appealing to anyone I don't know.

We had a few of these near me before I had disposable income.  Not any more that I know of.  Now I am good to buy more books but the closest smaller show is Albany NY twice a year. 

27 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

We had a few of these near me before I had disposable income.  Not any more that I know of.  Now I am good to buy more books but the closest smaller show is Albany NY twice a year. 

Those shows still exist. They just don't get as much commercial recognition.

It's funny, everyone is now on the nerd bandwaon and it's acool to be a nerd, but only if it's a cool-nerd (ie hipster).

If you're still a nerd-nerd it's still not cool. lol

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Those shows still exist. They just don't get as much commercial recognition.

It's funny, everyone is now on the nerd bandwaon and it's acool to be a nerd, but only if it's a cool-nerd (ie hipster).

If you're still a nerd-nerd it's still not cool. lol

That's disappointing for me.  :frown:  Still marginalised.

Maybe one day?

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

That's disappointing for me.  :frown:  Still marginalised.

Maybe one day?

You're cool in my books! (thumbsu

Really enjoyed c2e2 this weekend.  There were a lot of cosplayers, but the people with the huge costumes tended to stay out in the lobby area. It was definitely very crowded on Saturday so some strategic walking (i.e. picking and choosing which aisles to go through) was definitely necessary.  The biggest crowd jam was around the "wildlife rescue" group that had a capuchin monkey that people could pay to have it sit on their shoulder.  Lots of people stopped to watch the monkey.  Personally not a fan of that group since a con is not an appropriate atmosphere for a wild animal, let alone putting that wild animal on guests.

Found some cool books, got a signature from Frank Miller, and enjoyed the costumes.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:07 PM, VintageComics said:
Spoiler

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?

I've been meaning to start this conversation for about a week now but it's spring break and time is scarce (no, it's actually scarce in real life - not just Overstreet 'scarce' but actually being hoarded by collectors).

And then I read this article and it inspired me to start this thread (for a point of reference, Wizard World Chicago is this weekend).

Greater Cleveland comic book fans seek alternatives to large conventions like Wizard World

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what got me started about this topic was the Facebook page for a new con that got started called Elite Con in Tampa, Florida a week ago.

We have a board member who decided to start a Convention strictly for collectors. No media guests, no actors and actresses, no T shirts (no offense but I wouldn't want to be set up next to a T shirt rack the size of the Empire State building)...heck even no creator signings.

just comics, old toys, old books, old collectibles.

You'd think that was all fine and dandy and that everyone would be happy. Organizers can run a con any way they like to, right?

Free country, right? As long as there is no bigotry and hate it's all good.

Wrong.

You should have seen the public reaction when they made the announcement that there would be no Cosplay allowed at the show. :facepalm:

Within a day there were 450 comments in the discussion that I saw before the FB discussion was pulled sometime in the night. Hate, venom, protest.

The cosplay crowd was mortified that they wouldn't be allowed to walk in with their costumes after paying ticket price.

Bleeding Cool actually made an article about it. You know it's half serious when BC writes it up.

It was actually quite ugly at times. There were many rumors circulating online. One rumor was that people who were going to cosplay and wanted refunds weren't going to be given refunds.

There was mockery of the organizer's business model stating the show was going to be a 'loser'.  There are arguments that they shouldn't even be allowed to call a "Con" because technically it wasn't a "Con". They even resorted to name calling saying it wasn't a "Con" (as in convention) and that it was a con (as in from the Latin word 'contra', meaning against, or used in the phrase 'con artist').

And yet the organizers were very respectful.

The clearly stated that refunds were offered, that nobody had asked for a refund and that cosplay would be turned away at the door in an effort to create an atmosphere that was more about the collectibles for sale than the spectators themselves.

Obviously, me being the person I am I asked if the Cosplayer's started their own convention and said there were no vendor's allowed would that be OK? I had a feeling no vendors would protest that idea. - Nobody replied. I asked it at least 3 times. Nobody replied.

So I just thought I'd ask you guys: Would a show strictly about the collectibles themselves interest you and how do you feel about no cosplay being allowed at a show?

I for one have nothing against cosplayers. Louise has cosplayed at shows. I also have no problem respecting the wishes of a con organizer.

What say ye?

Where I live we are starting a small con.  We want to get back to the roots of what a con was before all of the media and I know that we would allow cosplayers.  We want people to enjoy this hobby.

Edited by Gatchaman

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I've never seen more cosplay at a show than at C2E2 this weekend.

At time sit looked like half the crowd was cosplaying, and it was a busy crowd.  By far the largest crowd I've ever seen at this show. It was crazy Friday and too crowded on Saturday.

This is why I only do shows where I can get in during setup, and why I run for the exits as soon as the general public is let in. Who needs the aggravation? I buy some stuff, sell some stuff, trade some stuff.....and get the hell out. 

On 4/24/2017 at 4:24 PM, october said:

This is why I only do shows where I can get in during setup, and why I run for the exits as soon as the general public is let in. Who needs the aggravation? I buy some stuff, sell some stuff, trade some stuff.....and get the hell out. 

It was nice seeing you Mr warm and fuzzy.

On 4/24/2017 at 4:24 PM, october said:

The Motor City Comic Con (coming up soon i'm geeked ) is still pretty good and not completely run over by cos players....yet

Barbara Eden  :cloud9: will be there on the weekend but i only go on Friday

I could care less about the cos player and as others have said, i don't believe they buy many, if any comics.... 

but i kinda like the celebrities, i don't get their autographs but its nice to see famous people and childhood star you grew up with in real life, 

Jimmy Walker is hands down funny in real life, will make someone laugh in 10 words or less ! and wow i hear now he is dating Ann Coulter?? !!

On 3/17/2017 at 6:21 PM, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Yeah, we didn't have any of those.  In fact, we turned away over two dozen vendors who inquired with us over the last year about booth space.  We tried to hand-select those vendors that our attendees wanted, i.e, heavy into vintage comics, original art, toys & action figures, Retired Legos, etc.  We turned away the stained-glass makers, the t-shirt vendors, the button vendors, all the folks, who while I'm sure sell quality merchandise, are also at those larger conventions often at the expense of a comic dealer who is sitting on the waiting list trying to get in the door.  

I know that our first one isn't going to be very big, but what the other organizers and I  trying to do is like this.  We are controlling what product is being sold at these, so that the attendees can more readily find what they are looking for.

I remember, in the 90's, small sports card and comic shows being invaded almost half way by Beanie Babies.  I wasn't there for that and would be disappointed that there were less sellers of what I was there for.

I have been talking to other collectors and buyers and they would rather have shows that focused more on just the comic collectibles.

...and I have no problem with cosplayers.

The admission fees are one thing keeping me away. $25-$35 if you only want to go in and browse one day? And then if it's downtown, there may be paid parking...Forget that. I wish there was a happy medium between the 10x10 (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating) sized Sunday-only shows with 5 dealers and the overpriced mega shows.

Edited by Silver Ager

25 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

The admission fees are one thing keeping me away. $25-$35 if you only want to go in and browse one day? And then if it's downtown, there may be paid parking...Forget that. I wish there was a happy medium between the 10x10 (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating) sized Sunday-only shows with 5 dealers and the overpriced mega shows.

No kidding on those high entry prices,,, you can get a decent comic on eBay for $35 

Some of the now older conventions are what changed this. I'm from the Atlanta area. I go to SDCC more often than my friends largely for the professional/editorial networking, which remains better at SDCC than many other cons, until the last few years, anyway. Now I'd say Wondercon is probably the place for DC and NYCC for Marvel.

Anyway, I have a ton of friends who have only done GenCon and Dragon*Con. Those are traditional cosplay venues along with Furry and Trek conventions. They're also cons which have traditionally sidelined comics. And they've grown alongside cosplay and gamer culture.

When I bring a Dragon*Con friend to SDCC, they're always stunned by what a low percentage cosplay. Maybe 1 in 5 at SDCC cosplay? Dragon*Con has a smaller turnout but non-cosplayers are outnumbered by cosplayers there.

I think the rise of TV, fantasy, and gamer fandom is what chokes out other stuff at cons. Those folks have always been cosplayers. The cosplay visibility is a symptom of poorly focused conventions, not a problem itself except when costumes block or slow down traffic.

If you want a marketplace/trade show vibe, the solution isn't to ban cosplayers. It's to make a convention that's focused and marketed effectively at the right niche. Cosplayers aren't a problem but they are a symptom of a con that targets fandom and gaming rather than vintage trade professionals and insiders.

I would adore a con that gets publishers putting out B&W preview art and which has panels focused on things like accounting for autograph dealers, how to seek out business loans for store expansion, and tax preparation for commission artists. And I think it does need to be its own show now.

Honestly? I'd start by not calling it a con. I'd go with something like Funny Book and Memorobelia Trade Exhibition. Something vintage sounding. Deliberately not snappy. Avoid the word "con" and avoid the word "comics" which refers to a sub-genre of movies and video games to a lot of people now.

If you're going to have any flashy stuff, make it retro. You know, cocktail party and swing band. You might do well in Vegas or on a cruise ship, although the latter presents issues for some vintage merch.

33 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

Funny thought but what if a con was co-sponsored by dealers and you got a $25 credit to use on buying comics.

Heck, that alone would police the spectacle problem if you made admission $100 a day with $100 in credit to be used buying comics. Booth fees could be paid in merch donation for exhibitors that way. It auto-polices the "problem" of non-buyers crowding the floor.

30 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Funny thought but what if a con was co-sponsored by dealers and you got a $25 credit to use on buying comics.

Heck, that alone would police the spectacle problem if you made admission $100 a day with $100 in credit to be used buying comics. Booth fees could be paid in merch donation for exhibitors that way. It auto-polices the "problem" of non-buyers crowding the floor.

That is a great idea

19 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:
On 2017-03-17 at 3:57 PM, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Instead of worrying about cosplay, how about making deodorant mandatory at these shows?

Roy is in big trouble!

My poop don't stink.

On 3/17/2017 at 3:37 PM, lizards2 said:

Exactly like the old days.  I would go to one of these.  The expensive admission, stars and costumes conventions have no interest for me.

+1.  Main reason why I don't go.  When I went as a kid, it was about the comics and what I can actually come away with.  It's bad enough I have to fight through the collector crowd, but now you have to deal with a bunch of narcissus who want to use the show as their vehicle to be seen and the pervert oglers who are there to stare and snap pictures.