• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I think my word choice was appropriate.  Telling a group of people that their type of fandom is not welcome is antagonizing.

Dividing the comic enthusiast community into those who cosplay and those who don't is destructive to the health of the community.

The cosplayers were rightfully upset because by telling them they were not welcome they were effectively being told they were lesser fans.

No puppy kicking accusations here.  If someone tells another they are not welcome, that person is likely going to be upset.  Basic cause and effect.

You're really tilting at a windmill here and exaggerating  your point about what is really a recent cultural phenomenon.

As George said, there were several professional cosplayersin the discussion who totally got the point and didn't protest it.

The majority of protest came from people who likely would not have enjoyed the event anyway unless they were having their pictures taken.

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

If I make some event, and I say "make sure you wear red or you do not get in" why would someone show up in blue? Big waste of time. Further why bother to complain on a public forum about your right to wear a different color. Go wear your color / costume somewhere else and let the red wearers have their fun.

why do cosplayers care?

Go create their own event, and go cosplay to their hearts content. So you cant wear your costume on a Saturday, who cares?

I imagine they care because they were being told they were not wanted and they felt insulted. And like I said previously, cosplayers buy comics as well.  The whole thing just sounds like someone doing this...:preach: as those lousy kids who happen to make the convention less drab looking.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're really tilting at a windmill here and exaggerating  your point about what is really a recent cultural phenomenon.

As George said, there were several professional cosplayersin the discussion who totally got the point and didn't protest it.

The majority of protest came from people who likely would not have enjoyed the event anyway unless they were having their pictures taken.

Professional cosplayers wouldn't be going to a small comics only convention anyway.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

I imagine they care because they were being told they were not wanted and they felt insulted.

I wasn't invited to a wedding. I felt insulted. I didn't start a crusade and think about picketing the event.

And like I said previously, cosplayers buy comics as well.

I'd put money on the fact that the cosplayers who are interested in the material that a vintage con caters to don't have a problem leaving their costumes at home to shop at the show.

I imagine they care because they were being told they were not wanted and they felt insulted. And like I said previously, cosplayers buy comics as well.  The whole thing just sounds like someone doing this...:preach: as those lousy kids who happen to make the convention less drab looking.

Sure cosplayers buy comics. I agree with Roy though, the cosplayers that would come to the event to buy comics if they were told to please not wear the costume they would comply and come and buy comics. The ones complaining are just the narcissists wanting the attention and their picture taken.

Yes, that would be overdramatic on their part.  I just don't understand why you have such a problem with people in costume walking around (and buying books).  The vast majority of cosplayers dress up and then shop.  

My business partner and I attended a small toy and comic show in Orlando the week of the Pro Bowl.  This was a show that had been at the same location going on 2-3 years now, however, due to the Pro Bowl and tourists being in town, or just due to the fact there hadn't been a small con in town since the previous fall, there was a huge attendance.  Now, for the promoter selling tickets, this is a good thing.  For many of the vendors, this is a good thing.  For those of us casually walking the aisles, it isn't a good thing.  If it takes you 4-5 minutes just to cross 120 feet of aisle space because its so packed, it's not a good thing...in fact, it becomes quite annoying.  It is also in this type of atmosphere where things disappear off of racks and out of boxes.   Now, we had committed ourselves to our course of action long before this particular show, but it reaffirmed to us that we had an obligation to our attendees and vendors to try and screen out the most casual of fans as much as possible to keep things manageable.   For us, it wasn't about putting as many butts in the door as we could, but making sure those that came were there primarily to buy, sell, and trade with one another all and other reasons were secondary or tertiary to our sole reason for being.

As for creating a "problem that didn't exist", not at all.  We got tons of exposure, made a name for ourselves, gained lots of like-minded fans who wanted to know if we'd be coming to their city next, and overall, had a successful first show.  Thanks for your concern, but we're all good.  :foryou:

Professional cosplayers wouldn't be going to a small comics only convention anyway.

If I'm running a show I would cater to the crowd I want there and I would make sure that no details were left to chance.

That's just good planning.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Sure cosplayers buy comics. I agree with Roy though, the cosplayers that would come to the event to buy comics if they were told to please not wear the costume they would comply and come and buy comics. The ones complaining are just the narcissists wanting the attention and their picture taken.

But this all begs the question, why did the organizer feel the need to ban cosplay from the beginning?  This was not an event with thousands of attendees.  The idea that there would be hordes of people blocking the aisles making shopping difficult is laughable.  It's not SDCC or WW.  Sounds like he just doesn't like cosplay.  

But this all begs the question, why did the organizer feel the need to ban cosplay from the beginning?  This was not an event with thousands of attendees.  The idea that there would be hordes of people blocking the aisles making shopping difficult is laughable.  It's not SDCC or WW.  Sounds like he just doesn't like cosplay.  

Because small shows get over crowded quickly and it was a small show (26 tables I think he said)?

Volume was not the goal.

3 minutes ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

My business partner and I attended a small toy and comic show in Orlando the week of the Pro Bowl.  This was a show that had been at the same location going on 2-3 years now, however, due to the Pro Bowl and tourists being in town, or just due to the fact there hadn't been a small con in town since the previous fall, there was a huge attendance.  Now, for the promoter selling tickets, this is a good thing.  For many of the vendors, this is a good thing.  For those of us casually walking the aisles, it isn't a good thing.  If it takes you 4-5 minutes just to cross 120 feet of aisle space because its so packed, it's not a good thing...in fact, it becomes quite annoying.  It is also in this type of atmosphere where things disappear off of racks and out of boxes.   Now, we had committed ourselves to our course of action long before this particular show, but it reaffirmed to us that we had an obligation to our attendees and vendors to try and screen out the most casual of fans as much as possible to keep things manageable.   For us, it wasn't about putting as many butts in the door as we could, but making sure those that came were there primarily to buy, sell, and trade with one another all and other reasons were secondary or tertiary to our sole reason for being.

As for creating a "problem that didn't exist", not at all.  We got tons of exposure, made a name for ourselves, gained lots of like-minded fans who wanted to know if we'd be coming to their city next, and overall, had a successful first show.  Thanks for your concern, but we're all good.  :foryou:

I'm happy the show was a success.  As to the "problem that didn't exist"; that was in reference to your unnecessary battle with the cosplayers; not to your ability to put on a show. You created the drama, i.e. the "problem."

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

The cosplay is not the focus of the event, the intent of the event is to create a show/ period piece that says "this is what a comic con used to be like". Support the event as it is intended, and if that kind of show interests you then attend. If it doesn't, then don't go. The number of attendees will determine the success of the show and whether the decision was a poor one.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Because small shows get over crowded quickly and it was a small show (26 tables I think he said)?

Volume was not the goal.

If I said gay people couldn't go to the show, would that be wrong? 

Why discriminate against cosplay?

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

A gay person isn't wearing something that could potentially be 8 feet wide, and have the isle space clogged up with people taking pictures. It isn't in the spirit of the show, it is a distraction.

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Not sure if you're being facetious.  Obviously a person's inherent characteristics are not comparable to a person's costume choices.  Not an apt comparison.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

A gay person isn't wearing something that could potentially be 8 feet wide, and have the isle space clogged up with people taking pictures. It isn't in the spirit of the show, it is a distraction.

Have you seen some of the fatazz collectors hogging up a table? 

7 minutes ago, Red84 said:

As to the "problem that didn't exist"; that was in reference to your unnecessary battle with the cosplayers; not to your ability to put on a show. You created the drama, i.e. the "problem."

The drama was created by the 'everyone gets a trophy attitude' that some people had. They responded with nasty names, insults, sarcasm and threats. It was ludicrous.

Not everyone gets a trophy. Not everyone is always welcome everywhere. There's nothing wrong with that.