• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

How long did Westerns rule tv/movies?  People will eventually move on to something new but for now I do not see them running out of great stories and keeping the money train going.

I hope you're right (about people moving on and expanding their entertainment options)  but I dunno, I just think the mess is here forever. Can't prove my theory and hope I'm wrong, but ...

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

When Reality TeeVee became commonplace around the year 2000 or so, I thought this garbage can't last and thought it would fade away in a couple of years. Look at it now. Designated networks for it. People cant get enough of it. I feel the same way with comic book movies/TeeVee: it's not going anywhere. For. The. Rest. Of. Time. 

Idiocracy is here.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

We've yearned for acceptance all these years and now that it's happened we can't stand it lol

I used to wear a hoodie and stayed away from the windows when I went to the comic shop across from my high school. 

It's better now. Much better...annoying cosplayers, (non)comic cons and all.

Looking back to the 70s and 80s, I wish I hadn't felt so overly concerned then about being stigmatised if I'd disclosed my comic book geek status, because most everyone already thought that I was a complete nerd anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, october said:

I used to wear a hoodie and stayed away from the windows when I went to the comic shop across from my high school. 

Were you lifting books and hiding them under your hoodie?

2 hours ago, october said:

In some ways it's a lot better.  It's far easier to find books than it was in the past.  We have great movies to go see.  We're more accepted by mainstream public and hell, some of can even meet woman, get married and make new nerds.

55 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
3 hours ago, october said:

In some ways it's a lot better.  It's far easier to find books than it was in the past.  We have great movies to go see.  We're more accepted by mainstream public and hell, some of can even meet woman, get married and make new nerds.

:banana:

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Yup.  In many ways I wouldn't wish to go back.  

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  In many ways I wouldn't wish to go back.  

We set up at 2 larger shows a year.  The Edmonton Expo 40k attendance, and the Calgary Expo 105k attendance.  They're expensive, exhausting, and crazy busy.  We're competing with the t-shirts and stuffed cucumbers and goofy trinkets of all types.  They aren't comic shows, they're the auto or home improvement shows of pop culture, somewhere for people to go for the day and buy a bunch of junk and meet some actor or wrestler.  

Despite all of that we do sell some comics, we meet a lot of long time collectors and a lot of new collectors, and we have a wonderful time.  The best part is getting together with boardies from all over, joey from Florida, the Saskatchewan posse, greggy and aardvark from Vancouver, thirdgreenAndy from Toronto, five or six guys from Edmonton, Thor from Calgary.  We really do a have a great time.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Looking back to the 70s and 80s, I wish I hadn't felt so overly concerned then about being stigmatised if I'd disclosed my comic book geek status, because most everyone already thought that I was a complete nerd anyway.

I didn't really care. I was confident with myself. I was glad to put up with any "abuse" because I got to buy or was given a lot of great collections. Who is laughing now?

I miss the comic conventions I went to in the late 80s and very early 90s. Just a bunch of old guys selling old comics in a VFW hall, it was quiet and all just comics with some  pulps and other old stuff. I am sure those still exist somewhere, just nowhere near me. How any of those wizard world and comic con things are appealing to anyone I don't know.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I didn't really care. I was confident with myself. I was glad to put up with any "abuse" because I got to buy or was given a lot of great collections. Who is laughing now?

I agree. There's a spectrum, though, in that not all teenagers are quite so together and need more time to develop a resilience against peer pressure.

9 hours ago, catman76 said:

I miss the comic conventions I went to in the late 80s and very early 90s. Just a bunch of old guys selling old comics in a VFW hall, it was quiet and all just comics with some  pulps and other old stuff. I am sure those still exist somewhere, just nowhere near me.

That's the kind of show I miss as well. There is one small show local to me that has some of that but it also has people selling nothing but $1 moderns and other garbage. One guy sets up at every show with several long boxes of recent comics all priced at a buck a piece. I'm sure there are some people interested in that but it ain't me. His tables never seem packed with browsers either. There are only a couple people who set up at that show who have the material that I remember from shows of old, tons of boxes filled with older stuff and a large number of wall books. 

Next month I'm hitting another local show that I've never been to. Hoping it's good.

Edited by Likefro

I've never seen more cosplay at a show than at C2E2 this weekend.

At time sit looked like half the crowd was cosplaying, and it was a busy crowd.  By far the largest crowd I've ever seen at this show. It was crazy Friday and too crowded on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

At time sit looked like half the crowd was cosplaying, and it was a busy crowd.  By far the largest crowd I've ever seen at this show. It was crazy Friday and too crowded on Saturday.

100% agree.  Friday seemed busy but Saturday was scary at times.  It was cool to see how a Con looked while wearing a costume but when you have 20 people shouting for a picture it can get overwhelming.  The sea of people coming out of the upstairs panels was a bit anxiety inducing.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
18 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

100% agree.  Friday seemed busy but Saturday was scary at times.  It was cool to see how a Con looked while wearing a costume but when you have 20 people shouting for a picture it can get overwhelming.  The sea of people coming out of the upstairs panels was a bit anxiety inducing.

Yeah, the posing was really getting out of hand at times.

When the crowd is so thick you can't move and THEN you have people stopping cosplayers to create a grid lock it became quite annoying at times. There were a few times I really needed to be somewhere and couldn't move.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:14 AM, catman76 said:

I miss the comic conventions I went to in the late 80s and very early 90s. Just a bunch of old guys selling old comics in a VFW hall, it was quiet and all just comics with some  pulps and other old stuff. 

you and me both (thumbsu

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Just out of curiousity was Friday as busy as Sat and Sun? Most of the time when I go Fridays to have a crowd not as busy as insane Saturdays. It has been the case in every major show I have been too, but I have been to Chicago in a few years now.

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Just out of curiousity was Friday as busy as Sat and Sun? Most of the time when I go Fridays to have a crowd not as busy as insane Saturdays. It has been the case in every major show I have been too, but I have been to Chicago in a few years now.

Fri was much less busy than Saturday. I didn't go to the show on Sun.

Saturday was absolutely insane. Even the massive hallways leading to the to the McCormick convention center were so crowded you couldn't walk through them without bumping into people.

They had a DJ in the hallway and there were literally 100's of people and cosplayers hanging out and dancing.

Edited by VintageComics

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Fri was much less busy than Saturday. I didn't go to the show on Sun.

Saturday was absolutely insane. Even the massive hallways leading to the to the McCormick convention center were so crowded you couldn't walk through them without bumping into people.

They had a DJ in the hallway and there were literally 100's of people and cosplayers hanging out and dancing.

Yes I have seen the same in STL and Louisville. It has made me avoid Saturdays altogether when I can now.