• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic Book conventions really Comic Book conventions?
1 1

302 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I can't imagine someone telling me what I can and can't do. If I paid the entry fee, I should be able to go.

If someone told you that you can't attend, you likely wouldn't buy a ticket and that would be the end of it. You would go do something else with your time.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

"What we ha[d] here is a failure to communicate."

Ironically enough, that's also the opening line to GNR's Civil War. :headbang:

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

If someone told you that you can't attend, you likely wouldn't buy a ticket and that would be the end of it. You would go do something else with your time.

No I would make it a point to go, and be as obnoxious as I possibly could.

Just now, oakman29 said:

No I would make it a point to go, and be as obnoxious as I possibly could.

well that is exactly what the cosplayers are doing.

Dang it we need an exterminator to get rid of them.

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

The last con i went to,.. i certainly did not appreciate the guy who was sellings real swords and knives being there

Yeah, we didn't have any of those.  In fact, we turned away over two dozen vendors who inquired with us over the last year about booth space.  We tried to hand-select those vendors that our attendees wanted, i.e, heavy into vintage comics, original art, toys & action figures, Retired Legos, etc.  We turned away the stained-glass makers, the t-shirt vendors, the button vendors, all the folks, who while I'm sure sell quality merchandise, are also at those larger conventions often at the expense of a comic dealer who is sitting on the waiting list trying to get in the door.  

1 minute ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Yeah, we didn't have any of those.  In fact, we turned away over two dozen vendors who inquired with us over the last year about booth space.  We tried to hand-select those vendors that our attendees wanted, i.e, heavy into vintage comics, original art, toys & action figures, Retired Legos, etc.  We turned away the stained-glass makers, the t-shirt vendors, the button vendors, all the folks, who while I'm sure sell quality merchandise, are also at those larger conventions often at the expense of a comic dealer who is sitting on the waiting list trying to get in the door.  

Sounds like an awesome show!

I do have a question: if Clark Kent came to your show, is he allowed in? See Clark Kent is actually Superman in cosplay....

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Sounds like an awesome show!

I do have a question: if Clark Kent came to your show, is he allowed in? See Clark Kent is actually Superman in cosplay....

Actually, at some point early on I got on the PA system and thanked everyone for cosplaying as serious comic/toy/whatever collectors...that their outfits all looked fantastic.  It got a chuckle from the room.

1 minute ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Actually, at some point early on I got on the PA system and thanked everyone for cosplaying as serious comic/toy/whatever collectors...that their outfits all looked fantastic.  It got a chuckle from the room.

^^

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Greater Cleveland comic book fans seek alternatives to large conventions like Wizard World

Did anybody read this article?

:angel:

vintageRoy,

Not sure if the writers to that article have been to SDCC the last 10 years, as they thought SDCC still did a good job promoting comic book vendors, and was not swamped by Hollywood hero movies, tv series, Netflix, cosplay, online gaming, Pop Toys, Star Wars/Star Trek/Dr Who props.

Seems like most cities in the USA and Canada have their own 30 to 140 table comic-centric shows to differentiate from the Wizard Worlds and large Expos where 10' x 10' :makepoint:booths may  start at $1,100 US each.

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Terry's show can't be beat as far as comics are concerned, a real collectors show.

I used to go to SDCC every year, now it's just too crazy, too crowded, and too much of a hassle.

I wasn't referring to SDCC.  The SD Comic Fest is a smaller show devoted to just comics.

I gotta also pipe in about Terry's show. He keeps it small and intimate for a reason. From a dealer perspective. If it were more than one day day one would be great for selling. Day two would be mostly a waste of time. The buyers spend their wad on day one. Nothing worse than watching the clock all day. There is a fever and a lot of excitement there. You can do the room in one full day. Due to this, it is the best show of any kind that I do all year.

He doesn't turn away cosplay. It just isn't their kind of show so they don't turn up. He also doesn't say you can't sell toys but again, not that kind of show. 

In my opinion, a perfect show. 

Being a comic guy, I don't care about cosplay, "movie stars" or toys. It would be nice if there was an area for this stuff and keep the comics and artists in a separate area. Especially if you are going to call it a "Comic Con". San Diego is long past this. I had to let it go a few years ago and I don't miss it. They should re-name it "Media con" 

I don't care what else they have a Con as long as a lot of comics are there.
Otherwise do it in a hotel lobby there are really only two choices. I could care less about
Cosplay they pay their ticket price like everyone else. Let them walk around just don't get in
my way when I am digging thru boxes for comics.

5 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

If you can't leave the costume at home for one day, when literally every other convention in the country is okay with you wearing it, you really need to ask yourself if you are a serious collector or not and whether you should be at this Convention or not.  Do people dress up as Batman or the Power Rangers to place bids at the Floor Session of a Heritage Auction?  

lol:roflmao:Well said.