• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "SPAWN" reboot movie thread.
1 1

102 posts in this topic

Wow, that’s an incredible land for the movie. I had heard the rumors he was in the running a while back but didn’t think much of it as being a reality. Hopefully Foxx can pull off the darker sided role McFarlane has stated he’s going for. 

Interesting.

Which means the plan is for this film to have a budget literally 1/4 that of the 1997 movie.

That said, I have full faith in Jason Blum. He's going to be this generation's Harvey Weinstein -- not in terms of sexual harassment, but in terms of being a super-producer able to get literally any project he wants made given his ridiculously solid track record.

I believe that of 70+ films so far only 9 haven't been profitable.

And his biggest hits were so profitable that it doesn't matter:

Paranormal Activity: $15,000 --> $193 million gross

The Gallows: $100,000 --> $43 million gross

Split: $9 million --> $278 million gross

Get Out: $4.5 million --> $255 million gross

33 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Wow, that’s an incredible land for the movie. I had heard the rumors he was in the running a while back but didn’t think much of it as being a reality. Hopefully Foxx can pull off the darker sided role McFarlane has stated he’s going for. 

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Interesting.

Which means the plan is for this film to have a budget literally 1/4 that of the 1997 movie.

That said, I have full faith in Jason Blum. He's going to be this generation's Harvey Weinstein -- not in terms of sexual harassment, but in terms of being a super-producer able to get literally any project he wants made given his ridiculously solid track record.

I believe that of 70+ films so far only 9 haven't been profitable.

And his biggest hits were so profitable that it doesn't matter:

Paranormal Activity: $15,000 --> $193 million gross

The Gallows: $100,000 --> $43 million gross

Split: $9 million --> $278 million gross

Get Out: $4.5 million --> $255 million gross

I agree with both of you! Both Jamie Foxx and Jason Blum do great movies. Very excited to see how this movie works. 

I guess this was the time to wait and sell those old Spawn comics that I missed selling back in the 90s. When I sold mine it was difficult to sell NM copies. I couldn't wait to drop those issues. I thought the comic was terrible. The movie was equally bad. I think the cartoon was passable but I can't remember it. The pitch for this new movie sounds interesting but McFarlane could just be dropping names of classic movies. I only read the first 15 or so issues of Spawn so I don't know if what McFarlane is talking about is in character with what was in the comics.

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I thought the comic was terrible.... I only read the first 15...

You are :screwy:.  The early issues were fantastic.  Soldier makes a deal with the devil to return to his wife...nothing unique there.  But the ultra graphic violence and McFarlane artwork made it stand out from everything else during that time.  It was a departure from the kid friendly comic stories.

But if you didn't like that kind of comic I see your pointlol.

My opinion of Jamie Foxx being Spawn keeps changing from day-to-day.  Saw Django last night so I'm back on the "he's awesome" bandwagon(thumbsu.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You are :screwy:.  The early issues were fantastic.  Soldier makes a deal with the devil to return to his wife...nothing unique there.  But the ultra graphic violence and McFarlane artwork made it stand out from everything else during that time.  It was a departure from the kid friendly comic stories.

But if you didn't like that kind of comic I see your pointlol.

My opinion of Jamie Foxx being Spawn keeps changing from day-to-day.  Saw Django last night so I'm back on the "he's awesome" bandwagon(thumbsu.

He's not crazy, he's most likely just older than you are.  I hated it too. I really thought it was a stupid book. I wanted to like it, it just seemed juvenile - after getting into books like Sandman and GM's Doom Patrol and Animal Man.

17 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

He's not crazy, he's most likely just older than you are.  I hated it too. I really thought it was a stupid book. I wanted to like it, it just seemed juvenile - after getting into books like Sandman and GM's Doom Patrol and Animal Man.

Well of course you're gonna think it's a stupid book if your standard of excellence is based on Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  He's an Eisner Award winnerlol.

58 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Well of course you're gonna think it's a stupid book if your standard of excellence is based on Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  He's an Eisner Award winnerlol.

If you hate the story of the first 12 issues of Spawn, you can blame at least a few of them on no-name guys like, well, Neil Gaiman (issue 9), Dave Sim (issue 10), Frank Miller (issue 11), and Alan Moore (issue 8).

I think the main problem with Spawn has always been identity. In the early years, it seemed that Todd couldn't decide if he wanted to market the books to children, depressed teens, or horror fans. Also, the quality has waxed and waned throughout the years depending on the writer and art team. You see huge, sudden leaps in style...just look at the last 75 issues of Spawn, for example. We go from dark, gothic art (Kudranski) to the childish lines drawn by Erik Larsen (HURK) and now we are seeing more "dark" painted art again. Todd will leap in for a dozen or so issues in order to "save things", which has never done anything other than add to the mess.

Spawn needs continuity, direction, stability, and purpose. The chances of commercial success go way down as Todd continues to struggle with what he wants to do with the character.

And now, for the movie, he wants a "ghost-like" character that doesn't speak.

I guess we'll have to see.

Regarding the overall run, there have been some great issues and storylines (I actually like the supernatural character as written by Holguin), but as a whole, it's a fractured mess, despite the (mostly) awesome artwork.

I just don't have much faith in Todd as a writer, let alone a director. The concept of Spawn has a great deal of potential, but it's been unrealized because Todd has been uncomfortable with letting a good team run with the character. 2c

Maybe the movie will take off and I can sell my slabbed run to someone with a lot of money. lol

13 minutes ago, newshane said:

If you hate the story of the first 12 issues of Spawn, you can blame at least a few of them on no-name guys like, well, Neil Gaiman (issue 9), Dave Sim (issue 10), Frank Miller (issue 11), and Alan Moore (issue 8).

I think the main problem with Spawn has always been identity. In the early years, it seemed that Todd couldn't decide if he wanted to market the books to children, depressed teens, or horror fans. Also, the quality has waxed and waned throughout the years depending on the writer and art team. You see huge, sudden leaps in style...just look at the last 75 issues of Spawn, for example. We go from dark, gothic art (Kudranski) to the childish lines drawn by Erik Larsen (HURK) and now we are seeing more "dark" painted art again. Todd will leap in for a dozen or so issues in order to "save things", which has never done anything other than add to the mess.

Spawn needs continuity, direction, stability, and purpose. The chances of commercial success go way down as Todd continues to struggle with what he wants to do with the character.

And now, for the movie, he wants a "ghost-like" character that doesn't speak.

I guess we'll have to see.

Regarding the overall run, there have been some great issues and storylines (I actually like the supernatural character as written by Holguin), but as a whole, it's a fractured mess, despite the (mostly) awesome artwork.

I just don't have much faith in Todd as a writer, let alone a director. The concept of Spawn has a great deal of potential, but it's been unrealized because Todd has been uncomfortable with letting a good team run with the character. 2c

Maybe the movie will take off and I can sell my slabbed run to someone with a lot of money. lol

This nailed it on the head, as I kept my OO first thirteen issues of the series. But when I went back to read these stories, it was not very engaging based on that. The artwork, naturally, is what pulls you in.

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing about Spawn and print runs we will find a lot of this money is made with the low print runs later on in the series. Some of these Spawn issues have had at one point print runs under 10,000.

Yes. And VERY difficult to find in 9.8 grade.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What would you say are some of the tougher ones to find?

I know issues 100,150 and 200 seemed to be sought after.

110 - 199, with things getting increasingly more difficult as the issue numbers rise.

Issue 200 had lots of variants and a relatively high print run, then things start to get tough from 201 all the way through the homage covers.

I'd say 151 through 184 are the most exotic. Some of those books are insane. Very tough in grade because of the grade-busting dark colors that were used.

There are enough people now who realize the truth about those books and are privy to their value.

People are paying way too much for the early issues and not enough for the later, TOUGH ones! Also, the registry points are long overdue for an overhaul! Only 20 points for #175? WTH?

For six or seven years now I've been working on the entire run in 9.8 or higher. I'm five short of that goal and I've looked EVERYWHERE and offered tons and tons of cash. Nothing. Not a word. I have three of the missing five in 9.6, so that will have to do for now. But those books are super hard in top grade and are majorly slept on.

EDIT: 165 always seemed to be super hot...ditto for 175 and 176, the famous "Gunslinger" issues.

Looking back through the run, there are many that I remember giving me lots of trouble. Definitely can't go wrong scooping up anything (at least high grade) between 110-199 if you want to be real.