• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "SPAWN" reboot movie thread.
1 1

102 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, seanfingh said:
21 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You are :screwy:.  The early issues were fantastic.  Soldier makes a deal with the devil to return to his wife...nothing unique there.  But the ultra graphic violence and McFarlane artwork made it stand out from everything else during that time.  It was a departure from the kid friendly comic stories.

But if you didn't like that kind of comic I see your pointlol.

My opinion of Jamie Foxx being Spawn keeps changing from day-to-day.  Saw Django last night so I'm back on the "he's awesome" bandwagon(thumbsu.

He's not crazy, he's most likely just older than you are.  I hated it too. I really thought it was a stupid book. I wanted to like it, it just seemed juvenile - after getting into books like Sandman and GM's Doom Patrol and Animal Man.

We referred to Spawn at the time as Spewn. (because we felt the urge to spew whenever we saw the comic). Those early Image books were all eye candy and almost no substance. I still can't believe I liked Todd's work at one point.

Edited by Jerkfro

On 7/9/2018 at 11:05 PM, paperheart said:

I wonder if that`s causing the delay? McFarlane insisting he has to direct it?

A lot of Hollywood companies don't like to throw money at unproven directors.

We know how Frank Miller`s directed The Spirit turned out.

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I wonder if that`s causing the delay? McFarlane insisting he has to direct it?

A lot of Hollywood companies don't like to throw money at unproven directors.

We know how Frank Miller`s directed The Spirit turned out.

I don't disagree, but also don't think it matters here.

Because it's a Blumhouse production.

Jason Blum's whole business model is low-budget horror (typically $5-$10 million total), bolstered by another $5-$10 million in marketing. They're designed so the film breaks even at ~$25-$30 million domestic.

So all-in costs for Spawn are likely below $30 million.

Example:

Happy Death Day - $3.8 million

Get Out - $4.5 million

Split - $9 million

Halloween - $10 million

Most expensive Blumhouse film I can think of so far is Glass, at a whopping $20 million.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:45 PM, Jeffro. said:

We referred to Spawn at the time as Spewn. (because we felt the urge to spew whenever we saw the comic). Those early Image books were all eye candy and almost no substance. I still can't believe I liked Todd's work at one point.

It certainly felt like he was trying to get to some substance... with the ice cream guy who killed the little kids... 

Did you like his run on Spider-Man at all?  I thought it always seemed like he was *trying* to say something but never quite got there.  Whether that was because his pencils were so great (especially then, but I still think so) or b/c he couldn't tell a meaningful story I don't know...  But I definitely felt like he was trying.

I do hate it when I see Todd coming back to write a book but not draw it... :-/

Whenever I think about Spawn it just makes me remember how much I love Erik Larsen. <3

19 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Isn't this a low budget movie?  He should just finance it himself.  He wants total control of it but not the financial risk(shrug).

Yep, from what I read he is worth about 400 million from his toy company McFarlane Toys, so he can swing this.

This is the guy that paid 5 million dollars for those home run balls in 1990s money.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:45 AM, Jeffro. said:

Early issues of Spawn and Spidey in the 90s definitely were all flash and no bang, but it's a matter of evolving. His story writing talents are definitely a lot more refined these days (highly recommend reading the 2017 Spawn comic run, pre-Jason Shawn Alexander).

Sadly for directing though you just don't get those kinds of chances, so we'll just see if this is a multi billion dollar movie franchise or something you'll see in the $3.74 bin at Walmart in like a year (shrug)

Edited by Skylath

On 2/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, Schmakt said:

Whenever I think about Spawn it just makes me remember how much I love Erik Larsen. <3

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::screwy:

During a recent interview with Comicbook.com, McFarlane let it be known that a final financing holdup is keeping Spawn from officially entering production:

"The money's sitting on the sidelines ready to go. I just need to get everyone that wants to put in money to shake their heads to the same -script. As you can imagine, everyone has a slightly different version of it in their head. You just go and trying to appease a handful of people while not giving in to what it is that I'm trying to do myself. Because if I have to change it too much, I'll just walk away from it all."

While at Comic-Con 2019, McFarlane elaborated on the Spawn reboot financing hold up - and his threats of action, if the film doesn't start gaining traction soon. As he explained to the crowd at SDCC2019:

"Lemme see if I can just go real quick: Spawn movie, right? When are you going to make a Spawn movie, when are you going into production? My answer is 'Yesterday, yesterday, yesterday.' .... I need $20 million to make this movie, I don't have all of it. I have to ask people for money, and once you ask people for money, they get to have a say in it. Like I said, it's a little bit of an uphill battle, because again, I just want to do this little dark 'R' movie, and they like those PG-13 success movies."

That statement hinted at some potentially big behind-the-scenes creative conflicts between McFarlane and the money men. McFarlane punted that ball even further down field, when he went on to rant about how he can (will?) get Spawn made, with or without the current financiers:

"Look I am relentless, I'm like a dog with a bone. I will get there, I promise you. I will get there. Because I will beat the system. Here's what I'll do: I'll do it as a Kickstarter... and here's the Kickstarter: I need 20 million people to give me a dollar. And I will make this movie, and when I get the money back I'll return the dollar back to you. And you will be my producers... and all I'll need is the distribution. That's doable today. I don't get why Ryan Gosling doesn't do that for every one of his movies, 'I need 20 million of you to give me a dollar,' are you kidding, he'd have it in an hour and could go do his thing! But people in the system are beholden to it and they have obligations, and the guy on the outside, me, goes 'I'm only going to give them so much time, and then I'm just going to come up with some crazy idea."

McFarlane also teased that outside financing not connected to Hollywood studios may seal the deal:

"...there's people on the outside that want to give me money that aren't in the system. But we're going to get it done. I'm just trying to play nice, now, but I'm starting to lose my patience. But we'll try; it's going to get there one way or another, I promise you. I'm not going to let this one go."

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Look I am relentless, I'm like a dog with a bone. I will get there, I promise you. I will get there. Because I will beat the system. Here's what I'll do: I'll do it as a Kickstarter... and here's the Kickstarter: I need 20 million people to give me a dollar. And I will make this movie, and when I get the money back I'll return the dollar back to you. And you will be my producers... and all I'll need is the distribution. That's doable today. I don't get why Ryan Gosling doesn't do that for every one of his movies, 'I need 20 million of you to give me a dollar,' are you kidding, he'd have it in an hour and could go do his thing! But people in the system are beholden to it and they have obligations, and the guy on the outside, me, goes 'I'm only going to give them so much time, and then I'm just going to come up with some crazy idea."

He wants to start a Kickstarter for 20 million but isn't Todd McFarlane worth about $300 million?

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/producers/todd-mcfarlane-net-worth/

He does own a toy company that makes millions a year.

I don't know about you guys but I have lost interest in this.

Most likely the Spawn reboot would only do Hellboy movie 2019 reboot box office numbers anyways.

Todd McFarlane waited too long and the rule of 25 has passed Spawn.

:fear:

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Todd McFarlane waited too long and the rule of 25 has passed Spawn.

:fear:

Plus, if you listen to the interview he sounds like an inexperienced player that figures as the director he will just hiring a bunch of sharp people and they will do all the work. I can see why the studio is holding back.