• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR BLAZERS (Space Battleship Yamato)
1 1

11 posts in this topic

STAR BLAZERS (Space Battleship Yamato)

Exclusive: Star Blazers Movie Is A Go With New Screenwriter on Board!

rTIKlhN.jpg

It's been six years since it was announced that David Ellison's Skydance Productions had gotten the rights to make a movie based on the show with Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation director Christopher McQuarrie writing an adaptation with plans to direct and co-produce, but we haven't heard very much since then. Earlier today, LRM had a chance to speak with Skydance Media CEO David Ellison, who produced next week's sci-fi thriller Life (which is premiering tonight at the SXSW Film Festival), and this is what he told us about the project:

"We actually just hired Zach Dean to write the --script, and we are working on it for it to be Christopher McQuarrie’s next movie after Mission: Impossible. Chris has been working on the film for a long time. It’s something that we’ve loved and been passionate about for years. This was something we originally went after seven years ago, and it took almost two years to get all of the rights to put together, which tells you how much we love it. The --script is being written, literally, as we speak, and we want there to be a completed screenplay once Christopher McQuarrie finishes Mission: Impossible."

Edited by Bosco685

29 minutes ago, Gatsby771 said:

This was my _favorite_ TV show when I was really young (like, ages 3-6). :whee:

And Chris McQuarrie hasn't directed (or written) a bad movie yet!

I didn't realize this, but he wrote the screenplay for 'Edge of Tomorrow'. I'm already impressed.

But 'Rogue Nation' and 'Jack Reacher' - I'm in!

Yeah - he gets a lifetime pass from me for having written The Usual Suspects and Way of the Gun.

And he's now Tom Cruise's go-to guy, having written Valkyrie, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow, Mission Impossible 5 & 6, and The Mummy.

You can say what you want about latter Cruise, but I enjoyed all of those listed that have been released so far.

1 hour ago, Gatsby771 said:

This was my _favorite_ TV show when I was really young (like, ages 3-6). :whee:

And Chris McQuarrie hasn't directed (or written) a bad movie yet!

For some reason I want to watch me some Starblazers on youtube soon.  I am getting nostalgic.  

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Gotta love Sarah Silverman's character name. lol 

What's her character's name?

That scene rules and is probably her best role, but her name? It's been awhile.

I really liked this show as a kid, but it seems incredibly difficult or impossible to translate it to a big-screen film four decades later.  Half of the coolness was seeing a ship that looked like a totally traditional ocean-faring battleship floating magically in space.  The allure of that will wash over us as adults if we didn't cling to the idea as kids, so what remains from the original is the Japanese melodrama that we didn't recognize as exaggerated as small children.  George Lucas had enough lashback from fans in trying but failing to help adults recapture their childhood with his prequels, and this show seems far more challenging to create in any way that will appeal to adults.