• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Bernie
3 3

88 posts in this topic

Found out through etanick's youtube channel...shocked; completely caught off guard. The recent thread about him retiring looked like he was improving and I'd hoped he would have enough time to enjoy his retirement and get to spend more quality time with friends and family as I'm sure they would have too. May you rest in everlasting peace, Mr. Wrightson. A huge talent has been lost by the community but your amazing work will live on forever.

18 hours ago, PreHero said:

Sorry to hear about Bernie.  Since I had an interest in horror movies, he was one of the creators that got me hooked when I first started collecting back issues.  He could truly capture the mood.  Was lucky enough to meet him once at a con a few years ago and got a few items signed (I almost never get autographs).

Swamp Thing #9.jpg

Very nice, PreHero.  I am sorry to say that I never had the pleasure of meeting him.

I remember first meeting him at a comic convention while I was in art school. He was encouraging,  friendly and modest about his own talent. A generous person with his time, he made you feel special even as I was showing my samples. Saw him again years later at another con. Still the nicest man. We will miss his presence in this world terribly. 

As further testament to what a great, warm guy he was, here’s a picture I’d forgotten about but just stumbled upon. After the original Cap ‘n’ Mandi thread crashed and burned, an attempt was made to resurrect it; here’s a shot of Bernie playing along. 

BernieCapandMandi.jpg

Thank you Berni for what you meant to me. We will always have Swamp Thing and Frankenstein. And you started, like all of us, as a fan of comic books. Amazing!

You were kind to me the times we talked at Apple Comics and San Diego. I'll always be a fan of your art.