• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's try this... the Golden Age ORIGINAL ART Thread
4 4

276 posts in this topic

I picked these 3 pages up today at a local auction. There were a few marvel pages from the 1970s also, but I lost out on those. If anyone can help with Artist on the Nyoka or any information about the Landis, please post or send me a PM. Also, if anyone wants to trade a Buscema Conan page for the 3,  please let me know. 

nokla.JPG

jonny.JPG

lion.JPG

On 3/23/2017 at 1:25 PM, Monkeyman said:

In the GCD it says this is Lee Elias, but the dealer who sold it to me insisted it's Bob Lubbers.  I'm not good enough with artists to be able to tell the difference.  Does anyone have any opinions?

Mike

Firehair 2.jpg

It's Lee Elias.

MI

On 3/22/2017 at 11:43 PM, Readcomix said:

image.jpeg

Unfortunately, not much Kirby on this page.
Possible layouts, and tighter pencils in some panels.
No Meskin, or extremely very little Meskin on this page.
No Robinson either.
If you look at the earlier stories of Boys' Ranch, the art is virtually all Kirby. As time went on, he had little time for all the work he did, and many of the later stories went to others in the studio.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:44 PM, Readcomix said:

I think all the faces on the page are very 50's Kirby, and the art is quite consistent thru all six issues of Boys' Ranch.

Have you looked at the earlier issues of Boys' Ranch?
Can you say that the earlier issues art look like this page?

On 3/26/2017 at 9:41 PM, Robot Man said:

A lot of nice Friction House art being posted. Wonder why so much of it survived from this company?

Someone (I forgot who) bought the warehouse back in the early to mid 70s.

MI

16 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Have you looked at the earlier issues of Boys' Ranch?
Can you say that the earlier issues art look like this page?

Yes, and yes. The six issues look pretty consistent, and the six-panel layout is a staple throughout. I don't know what "tells" are telling you who it is not; I am no expert.

I suppose I can take the damn thing off the wall the next time I have coffee with Joe Sinnott. I suppose he might be able to offer an opinion too. 

At any rate, thanks; I have never been 100% due to the Overstreet claims of Meskin/Robinson layouts over Kirby, but it has always looked like period Kirby to me. It sure does not look like Meskin. I don't know that I can say from Robinson. But it looks far more like Kirby than Meskin to me. Cool page either way but it would be nice to know.

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I definitely thought so too.  Thought it would be so far out of my range I didn't even follow it.  

Seemed in line with what I was thinking, last page sold for just under 11k, dealers have them for 15k, though one could argue the merits of PQ differences I suppose. The splash did 31k. Given the first story is apparently locked up for life, this leaves 3 issues to choose from and tastes may vary widely on the imagery with this book. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, artdealer said:

Someone (I forgot who) bought the warehouse back in the early to mid 70s.

MI

Are there ever any FH covers for sale?  I can't remember seeing one, but I don't follow the market that closely.

Mike