• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Cleveland 2017

31 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Cascaders27 said:

I didn't see a name on this one anywhere, but this was probably the second largest comic booth in the place after Dave and Adam's. It looked like they had a good mix of stuff and you can see there were a lot of people checking out the boxes.

I think this guy does a number of Wizard shows. He has good stuff but a lot is overpriced or not priced at all then he gets out the Overstreet. Saw a guy take a stack up and he was doing that. Nice guy though. Chatted with him a little last year.

This is another booth I failed to get a name on, but you can see there was a ton of wall books back there - they're just pretty hard to make out because of how densely they're stacked. Still though, it was nice to see this booth after walking past a booth selling hand crocheted Pokémon coasters and wildly expensive custom made fezes. I'm not knocking either of those booths (the hand work was very well done), I just felt like the comic booths were the exception as opposed to the rule.

Bill's Books (Canton, Ohio). Lost of Silver and Bronze and variants you don't see as much.

This is another booth I failed to get a name on, but you can see there was a ton of wall books back there - they're just pretty hard to make out because of how densely they're stacked. Still though, it was nice to see this booth after walking past a booth selling hand crocheted Pokémon coasters and wildly expensive custom made fezes. I'm not knocking either of those booths (the hand work was very well done), I just felt like the comic booths were the exception as opposed to the rule.

20170319_131136_zpsdk8q4o4z.jpg

Looks like Bill's Books set up.  He tends to pack in the keys on his wall so it's a bit hard to see what he has but I'm always surprised how quickly your eyes know what a book is just by seeing a strip along the left side.  He doesn't grade anything so his is a great booth to hit if you get books graded.  Problem is he is really up on graded book prices on hot books so his prices tend to be high for raw copies.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Bill's Books (Canton, Ohio). Lost of Silver and Bronze and variants you don't see as much.

Beat me to it

23 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Not to knock, but you show several comic booths and then say you didn't look through them.  Did you look for or purchase any books?

There were about 7 comic book dealers. Dave & Adam's by far had the best deals. I walked out with a nice stack from them. I won't be back to this though. It's a great show for the pop culture people, but it's not a comic book show.

There was obviously a big reduction in comic book boths compared to last year (I know 3 people along with myself who bowed out) but for what I can tell the few that set up did pretty well.  But even hearing this I don't think I'll be back next year just due to the cost and the hassles that go along with setting up at a three day con.  Is there any hope of more dealers buying booths next year if dealers reported good numbers or is this Con destined for less and less comics?

Dave and Adam's had a booth (no, I didn't see Carbo) but it felt like it was about half the size it was last year. They had their display case full of high end books and rolls of money with a lot of boxes in front of the booth to look through full of as far back as Silver books, and obviously a wall full of nice stuff too.

20170319_125834_zps6jhbzuqw.jpg

Is that you with the stack of X-Men Ygogolak?

The right color and general size but I think you have more hair up top.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Is that you with the stack of X-Men Ygogolak?

The right color and general size but I think you have more hair up top.

:roflmao:

No, I always have a bag to carry stuff around. Thanks for the compliment on the follicle count. I don't know that it's true though, haha.

I was there on Saturday and these photos were on Sunday.

Edited by ygogolak

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

Not to knock, but you show several comic booths and then say you didn't look through them.  Did you look for or purchase any books?

No knock taken.  I struggle talking to people in general, so sometimes I shy away rather than risk having someone approach me :blush:

I browsed through a few booths, but I always prefer digging through boxes as opposed to looking at stuff on the walls and I did find and make a few purchases. Nothing crazy, but I got a few books off my list! I found a particularly nice Jimmy Olsen 135 that I was hoping to have Neal Adams sign, but he wasn't there and neither was CGC...so...

Obviously I could have looked at the guest list prior to heading down, but I knew he had been there in 15 and 16 and figured he'd be there this year too. No grading company presence was a bit of a surprise though.

8 minutes ago, Cascaders27 said:

No knock taken.  I struggle talking to people in general, so sometimes I shy away rather than risk having someone approach me :blush:

I browsed through a few booths, but I always prefer digging through boxes as opposed to looking at stuff on the walls and I did find and make a few purchases. Nothing crazy, but I got a few books off my list! I found a particularly nice Jimmy Olsen 135 that I was hoping to have Neal Adams sign, but he wasn't there and neither was CGC...so...

Obviously I could have looked at the guest list prior to heading down, but I knew he had been there in 15 and 16 and figured he'd be there this year too. No grading company presence was a bit of a surprise though.

Yea, both Neal and CGC were there last year if I recall.