• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subbing Multiple Copies of Same Book Advice

14 posts in this topic

I have approximately 40 copies of X-Force 11 and about 25 Darkhawk 1. Both were from old store stock and most of them never hit the stands. I think 75% of them are 9.6 or better. My question is how would you approach subbing these? All at once? A few at a time? I only sub approximately 5-10 books a year, but just dropped a dozen keys on them at a show this past weekend and they will be attending a show I will be at this weekend as well. I am a member so I get 10% off and being able to save on shipping costs is a big deal for me. Advice? Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, divad said:

Sub them as a 9.8 pre-screen.  Otherwise, they will be graded against each other and you'll get fewer 9.8s.  (And face it, you don't want anything lower than a 9.8 for these two.)

this is the correct answer

I'd go with the 9.8 prescreen and then sell a few to fund possibly grading the rest. I would start with 15 of the X-Force and 10 of the Darkhawk. Look for the best copies to submit with no creases and as few spine stress lines as possible. This should give you the best results.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I'm going to disagree a little here. 9.6s of these books will still get you a $50 spot. I would probably set the the prescreen to 9.6. Send in batches of 25 since that is the max allowed for a single box.

Till you pay the grading fees, and the ebay fees, what would you net on the book, $20. You could just sell them raw for that much. The 9.8 prescreen would be the way to go.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:39 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I'm going to disagree a little here. 9.6s of these books will still get you a $50 spot. I would probably set the the prescreen to 9.6. Send in batches of 25 since that is the max allowed for a single box.

17 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Till you pay the grading fees, and the ebay fees, what would you net on the book, $20. You could just sell them raw for that much. The 9.8 prescreen would be the way to go.

It can go either way at that point. 9.8 prescreen you have to pay $5 for the rejects and CGC still charges the same shipping rate as if they were slabs so maybe around $8 for rejects really with the shipping factured in. So is it worth the while? I'm thinking it is as I just got my 9.8 prescreen on the way back. Plus when you sell graded books you are far less likely to have the buyers complain about condition. 2c

Would you get more 9.8s to break them up into other shipments over time? If you're looking at $8 per reject, it seems to me like it might be better to submit 5, hold, submit 5, etc. Fewer than 5 and shipping gets silly but sending them in smaller batches might yield more 9.8s, subjectivity being what it is.

Also, I might argue that this could work the other way on some books. 80% or more of the Loot Crate Action #1 had spine tears or spine stress. I think my first submission (a fast track) got graded lower because there was less basis for comparison. The paper stock is thinner than typical and the interior is 64 pages of newsprint wrapped pretty tight.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:00 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I have approximately 40 copies of X-Force 11 and about 25 Darkhawk 1. Both were from old store stock and most of them never hit the stands. I think 75% of them are 9.6 or better. My question is how would you approach subbing these? All at once? A few at a time? I only sub approximately 5-10 books a year, but just dropped a dozen keys on them at a show this past weekend and they will be attending a show I will be at this weekend as well. I am a member so I get 10% off and being able to save on shipping costs is a big deal for me. Advice? Thanks in advance!

...learn to grade like CGC graders do...

...send in all of your 9.8 'candidates'...

...send in all of your 9.6 'candidates'...

...send in the rest...

...Enjoy.

20181020_183847.jpg

20181206_143439.jpg

On 4/19/2017 at 1:03 PM, maraxusofkeld said:

Where can I go to sell raw X Force 1s for $20 a pop?