• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Document Camera for Comics
1 1

12 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Pike's Comics said:

Document Camera for Comics

Has anyone tried using a document webcam like the IPEVO Ziggi HD Plus Document Camera for scanning comics to sell?  

Found this article about it but not sure if it would work well:

IPEVO Ziggi HD Plus Document Camera

I use that exact model. I only use it for my eBay auctions which are raw Copper and Moderns NM- and below. For NM+ and BIN, I use a scanner.

I use it because I can do a front and back photo faster and clearer than holding a camera. I did not want to shell out the $$$ for a tripod and boom to hold a camera. I also sell other things on eBay but have not used this camera for those. The tutorials I watched when doing research for this camera showed that you can get great detail for coins and stamps. The camera will only be tall enough for one comic at a time, otherwise you will be capturing portions of the camera base if you extend the arm long enough to shoot two comics at a time. You will also need lots of white light and maybe a filter. I have been using cheap, clamp on utility lights with a fluorescent bulb and a piece of paper clipped over the light. Yes, there can be glare (not the camera's fault, that is the studio set-up).

I know what comments are coming:  "You can't show enough details." "The photographs are missing flaws." etc., etc. etc.

Response: Yes, this is not a high resolution camera and it only captures one angle. Remember, I use this for Copper and Moderns, most of which are FN to VF and auctions start at $0.99. Most of those auctions close between $1-5. When the majority of my eBay competition is not even taking the comic out of the bag for photographs and has no back cover picture whatsoever, I think that I am doing pretty well for my customers. By using a cheap camera system that allows me to save time on photographing, I can give customers more auctions.

As I am writing this, I do not have access to my archives to post examples of photographs. If you are still interested, I can dig some up off my hard drive.

3 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

I use that exact model. I only use it for my eBay auctions which are raw Copper and Moderns NM- and below. For NM+ and BIN, I use a scanner.

I use it because I can do a front and back photo faster and clearer than holding a camera. I did not want to shell out the $$$ for a tripod and boom to hold a camera. I also sell other things on eBay but have not used this camera for those. The tutorials I watched when doing research for this camera showed that you can get great detail for coins and stamps. The camera will only be tall enough for one comic at a time, otherwise you will be capturing portions of the camera base if you extend the arm long enough to shoot two comics at a time. You will also need lots of white light and maybe a filter. I have been using cheap, clamp on utility lights with a fluorescent bulb and a piece of paper clipped over the light. Yes, there can be glare (not the camera's fault, that is the studio set-up).

I know what comments are coming:  "You can't show enough details." "The photographs are missing flaws." etc., etc. etc.

Response: Yes, this is not a high resolution camera and it only captures one angle. Remember, I use this for Copper and Moderns, most of which are FN to VF and auctions start at $0.99. Most of those auctions close between $1-5. When the majority of my eBay competition is not even taking the comic out of the bag for photographs and has no back cover picture whatsoever, I think that I am doing pretty well for my customers. By using a cheap camera system that allows me to save time on photographing, I can give customers more auctions.

As I am writing this, I do not have access to my archives to post examples of photographs. If you are still interested, I can dig some up off my hard drive.

I think a much more salient comment is why aren't you just using a scanner for all your comics?

11 hours ago, Pike's Comics said:

I'm betting time it takes to scan is a lot longer than what it takes with this set up. I'd love to see some of your photos from this.

I agree, if you have a typical flatbed style scanner, doing many issues is very tedious and slow. Is it high enough to take slabs?

On 3/22/2017 at 11:16 PM, Pike's Comics said:

I'm betting time it takes to scan is a lot longer than what it takes with this set up. I'd love to see some of your photos from this.

It takes me all of 5 seconds to scan a comic book. How do you envision this being faster?

Scanning time would be a good problem to have - mine is that not everything I collect I can be scanned.

I hate having to mess around with cameras to get the right shot. I have been looking at a foldio lightbox kit, and a few other photography tools to help, but none of these will reduce the time required to get the right shot.

Even up until 4-5 years ago, scanning slabs was about finding a decent legal sized scanner that still used a flourescent bulb. I may be alone, but I dislike this trend of people using cameras to photograph comics.

BlackNWhite.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Here is a sample of the shots taken by the camera. These are of a low grade ASM 132 front cover, Mark Jeweler's insert, Marvel Value Stamp, and back cover.

2017-01-06_0026.jpg

2017-01-06_0027.jpg

2017-01-06_0028.jpg

2017-01-06_0029.jpg

In the above examples, all four shots took less than 10 seconds total to capture.

I use a piece of white foam board as a background. The kind that you can find at the dollar store, Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Often times with blue pages, such as the Mark Jeweler's insert, the foam board will become light pink when taking photos. You may also notice a slight shadow in the top right of each photograph. It is because my light sources are set up in front of the camera and to the sides. Because I have set up the light source in front of me instead of behind me, I get a slight shadow from the arm of the device on which the camera rests. If I wasn't using this camera for cheap comics I would care about slight shadows and I would stage my lighting differently or use a light box.

Edited by FN-2199
spelling

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, drotto said:

I agree, if you have a typical flatbed style scanner, doing many issues is very tedious and slow. Is it high enough to take slabs?

The base model is not quite high enough to take photos of slabs. You'd have to consider buying the extension (which I do not have and have not used).