• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you should have read and you're embarrassed you haven't

51 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So I'm good to hold off?

Absolutely. Save it for hour 16 of a 19 hour flight. I left my TPB in the village of Kilindoni on the island of Mafia in the Tanzanian Zanzibar archipelago  with the guy that was selling fake Seiko watches. 

Edited by NoMan

Just realised, I've never read a certain very popular zombie comic called The Walking Dead.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I just realized that I have copies of Wolverine: Limited Series 1982 that I never read that are signed (not graded nor COA, another story) but rather than risk not making my money back on those, I went and bought reader (so called) copies today for $10

in short I was embarrased that I had never read the Wolverine Limited Series of 1982 lol Frank Miller wahoo!! ;) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 hours ago, NoMan said:

I left my TPB in the village of Kilindoni on the island of Mafia in the Tanzanian Zanzibar archipelago ...

I've always wanted to go there!

Edited by Domo Arigato

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

I read that on a recent long airplane trip, and umm, I can kinda see why everyone thought DKR would bomb.

DKR was released in 1986 and was a big hit.

Ronin was released in 1987 and got a warm if not rapturous reception.

I don't know that I would really call it an embarrassment.   But, I can say that there are always areas that I try to fill in with regards to my favorite era, the bronze age.

In particular, I've always heard nothing but very positive feedback about the Shang-Chi MOKF run, but haven't read much of it (as I wasn't as interested in non heroes back then). Now that

the omnibuses have been coming out at a furious pace, I decided to pick up the first three. I finished the first, that was maybe the first 30 or so appearances. I'll say that I was really blown

away by the 1st appearance story (Marvel Special Edition 15), and really do think it is way undervalued for a first appearance. But, upon reading further issues, I can't really say I was all that blown

away with story line so far, there seems to be a lot of the same repeating fluffer themes (mostly uninteresting stooges hired by Dad to take out Shang Chi and the old man).  I'm hoping it gets better, but wouldn't put it up there with say

Tomb Of Dracula.

Another area I am deficient, and have been meaning to catch up on is Captain Marvel. Much like Warlock, he has the early somewhat lackluster first 10 or so issues, covered by Gil Kane/Gen Colan?. But I think

it picks up with lots of Starlin and cosmic tie-ins as it evolves. It would be great to have an omni cover all the cosmic stuff (GOTG and Infinity Gauntlet come close).

Edited by bronze_rules

5 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

DKR was released in 1986 and was a big hit.

Ronin was released in 1987 and got a warm if not rapturous reception.

Ronin was not released in 1987. It was released around 1983. I was there. I remember it well.  DKR was a big hit, but nobody expected it because of Ronin's lack of sales/sucesss so stores didn't order as many as copies as they perhaps should have. 

Anyways, off to wok...

Edited by NoMan

15 hours ago, Grendel72 said:

Just to add (in no particular order) :

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing

Arkham Asylum

FF 1-50 (Marvel masterworks has collated the books) 

X-men (Claremont Run) 

Sandman

I was with my nephew in the local shop yesterday, and I said, "If you want to read something that's really good, you should read those (points at the Moore Swamp Thing trades)."

He walked off and said, "Oooo. . . Marvel Zombies."

I just shook my head and laughed.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

The Moore Swamp Things do NOT disappoint. Wonderful terrifying comic books.

+1

Excellent gothic horror comics.

Except for issue 60, which is pretentious, unreadable garbage.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 25 March 2017 at 4:35 AM, porcupine48 said:

the Korvac Saga

39 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You are in for such a treat I am jealous.

Many a Bronze Age kid like myself would wholeheartedly agree. A classic storyline from my teen years.