• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - How to grade a complete spine split?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

How to grade a complete spine split

I need some help here. I received a book bought on eBay that has a complete spine split repaired by tape. The tape was noted in the listing and present in the pics, but the fact that it was covering a complete spine split was not noted. The seller is willing to refund 100%, so I am not worried there.

This brought up a question. How would this be graded? OSPG says "spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book" for 1.0 Fair, and "a complete book length spine split" is noted under 0.5 Poor. This particular book would be at least a 3.0 without the split. All pages intact and attached, no pieces missing of any size, and no real major creases or tears, not brittle, good colors. Might even get to 4.0 but so much hinges upon what the spine would look like without the split (and the fact that there is tape the length of the spine).

Thoughts on how best to treat a complete spine split? I just don't see it dropping this book as far as clipped coupons or missing pages (like OSPG's 0.5 Poor description). Thanks.

Edited by elibowman

Seems fair at first to me too. I guess what I really struggle with is the 0.5 for books that have missing pieces/pages/back cover. I would 100x rather have a book with a complete spine split that someone Frankensteined together with scotch tape than a book with a missing page.

That's interesting to me. So, OSPG (I know they are not the final authority, but they have detailed descriptions written down) says major chunks can be missing from the cover or multiple pages/pieces gone that impact the story. I know all tastes are different, but a complete spine split is way less offensive to me than major chunks missing or story impacting pieces/pages gone.

Thanks for the input. I love the different points of view.

For what it's worth, when I graded my books again back in 2015 I gave these two a grade of FR 1.0, they would have been a FN+ 6.5 and FN- 5.5 respectively without the split cover and punched holes and it was noted as such in my grader notes.

Again, it is what it is and it is worth what a collector is willing to pay which all depends on how badly you/they, need/want that issue.

Tape does not bother me at all.

a4ndja.jpg

8wci10.jpg

15g5ier.jpg

294tohu.jpg

On 3/22/2017 at 0:26 PM, elibowman said:

This brought up a question. How would this be graded? OSPG says "spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book" for 1.0 Fair, and "a complete book length spine split" is noted under 0.5 Poor. This particular book would be at least a 3.0 without the split. All pages intact and attached, no pieces missing of any size, and no real major creases or tears, not brittle, good colors. Might even get to 4.0 but so much hinges upon what the spine would look like without the split (and the fact that there is tape the length of the spine).

Thoughts on how best to treat a complete spine split? I just don't see it dropping this book as far as clipped coupons or missing pages (like OSPG's 0.5 Poor description). Thanks.

Where would you put the book if half the spine was split?  Awful defect... simply handling the book is going to make it worsen.  I'd actually rather pay the Poor price for a complete split, than pay the Fair price for a partial split.

What you should be arguing is that the grading of detached staples and detached covers isn't harsh enough, when the result is effectively the same.

On 4/1/2017 at 2:04 PM, FineCollector said:

Where would you put the book if half the spine was split?  Awful defect... simply handling the book is going to make it worsen.  I'd actually rather pay the Poor price for a complete split, than pay the Fair price for a partial split.

What you should be arguing is that the grading of detached staples and detached covers isn't harsh enough, when the result is effectively the same.

Decent point here. At least I am not making it any worse by reading it. Agreed on detached staples.

Before they changed their policy a few years back, CGC was giving books with taped complete spine splits grades over 2.0, if I recall correctly. Personally, taped or untaped, I consider a complete  or near complete spine split to be FR (1.5) tops, and generally a FR with most books. 

As for value, in the .5 to 1.5 range, technical grade, and even restoration (or conservation) is far less important than other factors ( what has been done to the book, completeness, nature of what is missing, page quality, eye appeal, etc.)  I'd rather have decent copy with a clipped back cover coupon, than one with a taped complete spine split for the same money, regardless of what anyone would grade the two books at.

As to the OP's book in question. I would probably value an otherwise 3.0-4.0 book with decent eye appeal and page quality, but a fully taped spine split at around 70%  of 2.0 FMV, more or less, depending on rarity and era. 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:41 PM, vaillant said:

An interesting topic that I have found now.
Is there a consensus about on how CGC grades a full spine split and a half spine split, then?
And Overstreet criteria how did/do judge this?

The CGC Grading Guide states that a book with a fully split spine would usually be no higher than a 1.8 and may be further downgraded if tape or extra staples were used to hold the book together... 

On 3/2/2024 at 12:03 AM, The Lions Den said:

The CGC Grading Guide states that a book with a fully split spine would usually be no higher than a 1.8 and may be further downgraded if tape or extra staples were used to hold the book together... 

Thank you. Tracking this, as we'll be able to have more perspective, also from Overstreet criteria and maybe other countries?

As The Lions Den points out, full spine split caps out at 1.8 according to CGC.  If there are a significant number of other flaws, the book could be anywhere from 1.0, 1.5, to 1.8.  A grade of 0.5 is usually reserved for a comic missing a full half page.  So the range is almost certainly 1.0 to 1.8 if subbed to CGC.  In my experience, an otherwise decent book with a full spine split is going to get you a 1.5 or 1.8.  In other words, it takes many additional flaws or a few very serious additional flaws to drag it all the way down to 1.0.  So if you subbed to CGC, you likely will get a 1.5 or 1.8 based on your description.