• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Iron Man 55
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hard grading. I see some corner rounding. I see some slight yellowing on the upper rear spine but nothing that drags it down. I see an 8.5.  I'm trying to understand how an objective grading system would differentiate between a silver age and a bronze age book. Isn't grading supposed to be objective, not ageist?

Congratulations on owning this book.  I just recently purchased one and dropped it off to CGC at the Carbo Con in NYC.  I'm seeing the tanning or foxing on the book.  Great colors thought.  I think maybe a 7.5 to 8.0! (thumbsu

18 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Hard grading. I see some corner rounding. I see some slight yellowing on the upper rear spine but nothing that drags it down. I see an 8.5.  I'm trying to understand how an objective grading system would differentiate between a silver age and a bronze age book. Isn't grading supposed to be objective, not ageist?

I feel like cgc is softer on silver. Just my opinion. Also if this book is indeed normally sharp I'd say 9 is definitely out. I'm guessing said foxing is near mini iron man icon on cover. I missed that. If that's a stain even I'd say 8.0 at best. Still a super nice book imo

8 hours ago, Mrluvaluva said:

I feel like cgc is softer on silver. Just my opinion. Also if this book is indeed normally sharp I'd say 9 is definitely out. I'm guessing said foxing is near mini iron man icon on cover. I missed that. If that's a stain even I'd say 8.0 at best. Still a super nice book imo

The dots by the Iron Man icon was from what looked like crumbs that were stuck on the cover when I purchased the book.  It was easily brushed off but it left the spots.  

I recently sent in two ASM129's , both bought on the news stand when they were new. Both stored away immediately and dragged out after Christmas. One came back as a 9.4 and the other an 8.5. The 8.5 actually looked better on the cover and the corners than the 9.4 did. Both have  white pages. The difference? On the back of the 8.5 is a  tiny stain, about 1/8th inch long and very light.  Given that experience, I think the stain from the crumbs are going to hurt you.  I got an ASM 16 back at the same time. I can't recall where I got that but it was before 1970. It looks more like a well cared for silver age comic. It got a 9.0.  I still don't really get it.  I suppose Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.