• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Image Comic Books - Language?

6 posts in this topic

Image Comic Books - Language?

I'm interested in finding out if anyone is aware of any the past or current comics from Image do not contain cursing, sexual innuendos, and/or blasphemy? 

Edited by 1ForChrist

super dinosaur comes to mind.  I don't know if its still ongoing....don't think so.

Interesting question. I think most Image titles are written with adults in mind, and while I don't get the feeling that most are written with the intent to be blasphemous or contain a great deal of cursing or sexual content (some obviously are, see Sex Criminals), all of them that I can think of do contain such content. Along with violence of course, which you didn't mention, so I don't know if that is an issue.

Does Savage Dragon contain anything other than violence? I haven't read it in years, I can't recall.

I agree that this is in interesting question.  I think that at least the big publishers went to great lengths a few years back to rate their comics ("M" for "Mature Readers", "T" for "Teens", "E" for "Everyone", etc.).  Specifically, according to their website, Image's "E" means "all ages, may contain minimal violence" and their "T" means "12 and up, may contain mild violence or mild profanity".

But I'm not aware of a searchable database with those ratings (in other words, a place to find all comics published by Image and rated "E").  I would think that online stores in particular might sell more comics (especially all ages comics) if those were easier to find.  And as an added challenge, Image seems to like to have the UPC and rating on the back -- and a lot of online stores (including a whole lot of eBay sellers) never scan the backside of their books.  So unless you're at a comic shop with book in hand, it seems unnecessarily hard to find an individual book's rating.

Regardless, in addition to Super Dinosaur as mentioned above, I thought of Howtoons (RE)Ignition

20 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Interesting question. I think most Image titles are written with adults in mind, and while I don't get the feeling that most are written with the intent to be blasphemous or contain a great deal of cursing or sexual content (some obviously are, see Sex Criminals), all of them that I can think of do contain such content. Along with violence of course, which you didn't mention, so I don't know if that is an issue.

Does Savage Dragon contain anything other than violence? I haven't read it in years, I can't recall.

Savage Dragon is mature content book. It changed a LOT over the years. Every once in a while I'll read one but they were a great deal more fun 20+ years ago.