• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4 - 9.8
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Avengers 4 - 9.8

What do you all think of the Avengers 4 9.8 that CGC put up on their FB page?    Torpedo Comics submitted.

(Trying to upload from my phone so I hope this works)

IMG_4370.JPG

10 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Avengers 4 - 9.8

What do you all think of the Avengers 4 9.8 that CGC put up on their FB page?    Torpedo Comics submitted.

(Trying to upload from my phone so I hope this works)

IMG_4370.JPG

Just at first glance, Barton's copy looks WAY better than this one.

11 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

It's not bright white and has ink on the top edge. Soft but still pretty. I feel like many 9.6s I've seen are nicer. 

My personal preferences go even farther.  To my taste, the preservation of the cover white on this ish overrides very minor structural flaws that might be found in grades below near mint.  I'd rather have a copy with "Curator" white cover stock and 9.2 structure than a perfectly structured copy with aging showing on the cover paper.  Any copy that combined the best of both would be worthy of a significant premium from my perspective.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

My personal preferences go even farther.  To my taste, the preservation of the cover white on this ish overrides very minor structural flaws that might be found in grades below near mint.  I'd rather have a copy with "Curator" white cover stock and 9.2 structure than a perfectly structured copy with aging showing on the cover paper.  Any copy that combined the best of both would be worthy of a significant premium from my perspective.

The whitest copy I had ever seen was a copy I sold in the mid 2000's. I talked about it when the new owner had auctioned it off on eBay and it went for a record price at the time.

The cover was snow white. The interior pages were snow white. It was just the most ridiculously well preserved copy I'd ever seen. Like someone walked it off a time machine from 1964.

No idea where that book ended up.

I've seen this book in hand. It's not that dark in hand. For whatever reason CGC's scanner makes books look darker than they actually are.

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, Spiderphill said:

It's not bright white and has ink on the top edge. Soft but still pretty. I feel like many 9.6s I've seen are nicer. 

That's what my initial thoughts are as well.  I think the corners are too soft for the 9.8.  It's a gorgeous book, but I think 9.6 would've been the better number.  

I agree with Bob and Roy on this one...I looked for over two years for a white-covered copy and paid a pretty penny when the Marvel Art Review copy showed up on Comiclink (a 9.2 wp).  This one here looks like a 9.6 to me from the scan alone...several tiny issues as others have mentioned, along with the solid but not stunning cover presentation, makes it look just a hair below NM/MT.

Dan

ps here's the Marvel Art Review copy...scan doesn't even do its colors justice:

Avengers492_zpsc81fd41b.jpg

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

I agree with Bob and Roy on this one...I looked for over two years for a white-covered copy and paid a pretty penny when the Marvel Art Review copy showed up on Comiclink (a 9.2 wp).  This one here looks like a 9.6 to me from the scan alone...several tiny issues as others have mentioned, along with the solid but not stunning cover presentation, makes it look just a hair below NM/MT.

Dan

That's a killer looking book.  Any thoughts on the 9.4 with WH that just recently popped up on the Clink exchange?

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

That's what my initial thoughts are as well.  I think the corners are too soft for the 9.8.  It's a gorgeous book, but I think 9.6 would've been the better number.  

As I said, I've seen the book in person. It's a solid 9.8

Scans often don't do books justice and introduce things that are not on the book in real life.

11 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I like the looks of that one a lot -- title reds pop, although the cover isn't as white as I hope for in a HG #4.  Should fetch at least the $13k that the other 9.4 did, though?

Dan

If my collecting goal for the summer wasn't a #1, I could be tempted to upgrade my 8.5 #4 for that 9.4.  Gives me something to wrestle with at least.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

As I said, I've seen the book in person. It's a solid 9.8

Scans often don't do books justice and introduce things that are not on the book in real life.

I'll defer to you then.  It looks soft 9.8 to me with the corners and the slight overspray.   I don't think it grades 9.8 back in 02-04.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:31 PM, Drummy said:

Dan

That's what I'm talkin' about!  <3

A collection that Clink rolled out over a several auction period..... original owner books from a fellow who was active in fandom from way back.... his name, however, escapes me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Here's the blurb from the book I won about the Marvel Art Review collection...I only wish I had the money to pursue both the Avengers #4 and the Daredevil #1 (9.2 wp), which was also stunning:

This comic book originates from the Marvel Art Review Collection, a significant collection consisting of deep runs of virtually all Marvel titles from the Silver Age through the Modern era, as well as select issues from DC and other publishers. This collection was assembled over decades by Arthur Gumbus, a passionate collector and aficionado of the comic art form. In the middle 1970s, Mr. Gumbus produced and published Marvel Art Review, an early fanzine for all things Marvel. Getting to know many of the artists and writers at Marvel personally during these booming days of Marvel fandom, Mr. Gumbus got the inside scoop directly from the source and was very active on the early convention circuit in the New York City region.

The vast majority of the issues in this collection were purchased directly off the stands as they were released and carefully tucked away. This has resulted in very rich cover colors and high page quality, with nearly all of the comics certified as having White or Off-White to White pages, regardless of the assigned grade. We are very pleased to be offering examples from this impressive collection, which represents the decades-long dedication of a passionate collector and lover of the four color page.

19 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Here's the blurb from the book I won about the Marvel Art Review collection...I only wish I had the money to pursue both the Avengers #4 and the Daredevil #1 (9.2 wp), which was also stunning:

This comic book originates from the Marvel Art Review Collection, a significant collection consisting of deep runs of virtually all Marvel titles from the Silver Age through the Modern era, as well as select issues from DC and other publishers. This collection was assembled over decades by Arthur Gumbus, a passionate collector and aficionado of the comic art form. In the middle 1970s, Mr. Gumbus produced and published Marvel Art Review, an early fanzine for all things Marvel. Getting to know many of the artists and writers at Marvel personally during these booming days of Marvel fandom, Mr. Gumbus got the inside scoop directly from the source and was very active on the early convention circuit in the New York City region.

The vast majority of the issues in this collection were purchased directly off the stands as they were released and carefully tucked away. This has resulted in very rich cover colors and high page quality, with nearly all of the comics certified as having White or Off-White to White pages, regardless of the assigned grade. We are very pleased to be offering examples from this impressive collection, which represents the decades-long dedication of a passionate collector and lover of the four color page.

I only had a couple..... one was sold to a boardie..... it was a Daredevil 6......I think a 9.0....... and when I whipped it out for some collectors around here and placed it next to their copies, they could only slink away in shame.... they're really dramatic next to another copy. They came with a cool COA as well.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12