• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prices realized at auction or private sales for SA books
1 1

113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Fair enough. (thumbsu

I am not some kind of magical wizard that knows about every single sale.....let other people be part of this thread where they can be useful.

There is no way I was responsible for those 3 books selling for record prices people that have money make their own choices. When I buy a book I don not worry about what people write here I worry about if I can simply afford to buy it without causing any financial stress outside of my hobby as should others.

If some people are still in that stage of life if I jump off a bridge then they do to I do not know what to say.....seriously!!

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

But you're only posting strong prices. You're not posting weak prices.

So it's just a thread to pump books you have a vested interest in.

If you were really interested in market discussion you'd discuss the entire market, not just the sales that keep going up, up, up.

And that is the issue that people take with your posts.

"OMG, this book should go for a zillion dollarssszzz!!!!1111" when in fact, it shouldn't.

But people have tried to explain it to you several times and you either don't understand or don't care.

EDIT: And I'll add that you are free to discuss anything you want but I think people take issue with you calling it a hobby when your posts are only worried about dollars.

Are you not a comic book dealer.....don't dealers make money off of this hobby? So money is important to you as well no? Maybe for some reason you want AF15 prices to go up slowly maybe that profits you more somehow been a comic book dealer and all but hey that is just a wild guess. Seems to me mostly dealers don't seem happy to see AF15 skyrocket in value but us collectors who own a copy (or more) are happy.....just seems odd to me. But those same dealers have no issue at all that GA books skyrocket in value over the same time period....weird!!

It's OK for a Batman #1 CGC 2.0 to sell for 80 000$ but it's not normal that the 3rd most important book in the hobby is exploding in value.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I can't make sens of all this (:

Simple some people are not happy with the current explosion of value of AF15 for some personal reason (most likely financial as well) and some are again for some personal reason. Not very complicated feels like I am on the X-Files and I am not suppose to do so and so because the greater agenda must not be disturbed.

It's a hobby I get that and that part must trump the financial aspect I also get that but key books like AF15 draw all sorts of people same as for key GA books.

By the way, I am not only talking about AF #15. I'm talking about any book (including GA books) that go up in price very sharply.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

There's nothing wrong with talking about money.

There's nothing wrong with making money off comics.

There's nothing wrong with comics getting more expensive.

There;s nothing wrong with comics becoming extremely expensive.

What can be a problem is the way it's done.

If there is organic and general demand causing prices to rise, that is a healthy market dynamic.

If there is market manipulation causing price increase, it's not only unhealthy, it was fall back and crash on itself.

That's why in sales threads people call out sellers who only quote GPA high prices when selling. It's a form of market manipulation.

And while you may not purposefully be trying to manipulate the market, posting only record sales prices does manipulate market perception.

When you post only record sales prices AND also keep talking about how hot and awesome the books are (key books and not run issues or story lines) it gives readers the impression that you are pumping the market.

Pumping the market is not looked at in a positive way by most people.

As a dealer, I don't care whether prices get more expense or not. I'm still making money.

But I've been a reader and a collector for over 40 years. What I do care about is the health of the hobby for the long term, because if the hobby becomes unhealthy that's bad for everyone.

And personally, if you want my opinion anybody who only talks about money is not enjoying the hobby. They're enjoying speculation and the hobby becomes no different than a stock market ticker.

Makes sens but people are adults here they can research a books current value themselves if they don't that's not my fault it's theirs. I am mostly reporting record sales prices so the current owners of say AF15 know about them.....same for other key books. Collecting runs is the best but I collect baseball card collections not comic book series I only buy key books....and copies of series I like (marvel masterworks). I do own about 300 Hulk books but that is about it. I don't have the storage room to be collecting 100's of CGC graded books or ungraded books either. I collect every baseball card in the 2 sets I am building I don't care if it is a bad player or a HOF player I love them all the same. Graded cards are a lot easier to store and you can put about a 100 of them in the same safety deposit box and a whole lot more in a big home safe.

1 minute ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I am mostly reporting record sales prices

I'm glad you finally admitted what was obvious to everyone else.

lol

But some times prices I list are not record prices for example X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 that sold for 51 000$ in late 2016 (geez I posted that one and I paid 62 000$ for mine yes mine has white pages and that one did not but I still posted it.....how does that benefit me....it simply does not but I still posted it)......Hulk 1 many times where not record prices and some other key books as well.

Most of the record prices I post are AF15 and some times SC4.

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Holy sheit. I posted my first like.

Now if you could only buy your first silver age :whatthe: for your 2nd row on the sig line :bigsmile:

Edited by woowoo

AF 15 is hot no doubt about it.  It is experiencing the price bump that most big time comic book dealers predicted would happen when IH 1 and then SC 4 were seemingly about to threaten its perch atop the S.A. hierarchy.   AF 15 has simply re-exerted itself in a big way.  Spidey's appearance in the MCU, as well as all of the Spider-Man related spin off movies that have been recently announced probably have something to do with this.  

But of all the recent GPA highs the book has seen, I actually found this result the most eye popping and telling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-Cover-Only-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-Original-/401285159028?hash=item5d6e759874:g:heoAAOSwOgdYubS1

I wonder what a full cover in decent looking shape would go for.  $5k? $10k?  What would somebody be willing to pay for a nice looking cover only to marry to a complete interior that is also in good shape ? hm

-J.

17 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Now if you could only buy your first silver age :whatthe: for your 2nd row on the sig line :bigsmile:

I collected high grade SA Marvels for 5 years. No fun in the ubiquitous. I'd rather an Action Comics run as a second row.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I collected high grade SA Marvels for 5 years. No fun in the ubiquitous. I'd rather an Action Comics run as a second row.

Peter, don't you miss discussing SA record prices?