• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare? Valuable? Worthless? Whitman 3 packs I uncovered in grandmother's house.

17 posts in this topic

Recently I uncovered these 3-packs still unopened at my late grandparents house. No idea why these were there perhaps as a child I did something rotten and they took them away from me as a punishment. lol 

While there seems to be some demand for Whitman 3-pack comics that were sold exclusive to the 3-pack is there any demand for Whitman variants of Gold Key and Marvel comics?

This is what I have here. Pictures at the bottom. Are any of these Whitman comics rare or have a value that exceeds that of the non-variant issues.

Red logo bag - Spider-Woman #5 , Human Fly #12 and Marvel two in one #42

Purple logo bag - Turok Son of Stone #116 , Twilight Zone #86 and Flash Gordon #20

Yellow logo bag - Star Trek #53, Twilight Zone #85 and Grimm's Ghost Stories #45

RweWKIHl.jpg

ffsrdgDl.jpg

Edited by buyatari

Those are nice. No key issues per say, (although there is the second Frank Miller Twilight Zone issue in the yellow bag) but for Whitman completionists, they are interesting. I love the sealed packs and never take the books out.  

Edited by bellrules

What do you guys think these are worth these days?   Say $25 each or something?   Maybe a touch more?    I'm out of touch with the market for these

6 hours ago, buyatari said:

Are these easier to sell as is or should you break them up?

I would think these would do better still sealed in bags. Most of those books don't really have a market, while there are collectors that go after sealed bags. If there were any high grade keys, it's possible opening bags and grading would do better. That said, even in the bags you are probably looking at $20 to $35 per bag.

1 hour ago, Warlord said:

I had a deal with buyatari to buy the Whitman 3-pack.  I offered a price and he accepted.   Now he wants to sell it to someone who wants to buy all three of his packs.  I request that whoever has made that offer scale it back to only the other two packs.

That isn't what happened. You wanted one set. He wanted all 3. I took the path of least resistance. 

I'm fighting to urge to put in my opinions.  I'll just let the PMs speak for themselves.

I offered to buy:

Keep the books in Ohio!  I'm in Columbus.

I mentioned $25 for the Marvel 3-pack in your thread.  If you're selling, I'm buying.

You accepted my offer

I have  a local customer who claimed to be interested but he hasn't been back yet. I'd be willing to sell them if you want them.

I repeated that I'd buy the multipack and asked for the postage quote:

Yes, I'll take it!  Let's work out the details.  I can send PP tomorrow night as soon as we figure the shipping cost and have a total price on the deal.

For estimation, my addy is

[redacted]

Priority or first class or whatever, speed is not all that important, I would just want the books packed up safely to avoid much risk of damage.

You backing out because you want to take the "easier" option of doing just one deal

Just accepted an offer for all 3 lots at 75. Much easier for me than one at a time. If he fails to send payment I'll sell you the one set that you want.

Me

Please reconsider ... we should complete our deal.  I made an offer, you said you'd sell to me, and I accepted.    No problem if you sell the other buyer the two packs that weren't under discussion, that's not an issue.  But I really hope you will honor the deal that we had arranged for the Marvel 3-pack.

You

I told you that I'd sell to you. At the same time I told another potential buyer that I'd sell to him. I'd sell to anyone.

He only wants the Whitmans if he gets the Marvel pack.  So of the two possible deals that is the best option or I'm going to be stuck with the Whitmans. I'm not playing you guys against each other as he is paying the same price. I just want them gone and he is willing to take them all if he gets the Marvel pack. If you had an invoice and paid then yes I'd honor that deal but it's not a deal till then. 

Me

I posted asking the other buyer to scale back that deal.

You could do the same by letting the buyer know you already had a deal to sell the Marvel pack.

You

This is getting way too complicated and that is the opposite of what I seek in everything I do.

You both had interest. You only wanted one set. He wanted them all. In the end I agreed to his deal because that is the easiest way to go. You and I spoke about it but we didn't have a deal. I didn't give you a final price,send you an invoice or take your money. 

IMHO we had a deal when I offered a price and you accepted.

They were on hold for a local customer. He didn't pick them up so I told you that I'd sell them if you wanted them. I told the same thing to another buyer. Both of you responded. He wanted all 3 so he wins. If he doesn't pay I'm not still not selling to you. You are making way too big a deal out of this and I want no part of that hassle. 

You claimed what I wrote was false.  Now everyone can read the exchanged PMs and judge for themselves.   I think most readers will judge that it's your claim of " That isn't what happened " that is false.     Further I predict most forumites will not judge your actions to be up to the standards of conduct expected on these boards.

On 2017-04-05 at 5:45 PM, Comicbookscalping said:

This is interesting.
I'm not 100% confident a deal was made. Could go either way.

I think warlord genuinely thought he had a deal and buyatari genuinely thought they didn't.

I've been dealing with buyatari for 10 years on more transactions for more value than probably any other person in that time.    I've never had him back out of a deal once.   I've never had him not honor his word.   Sometimes its sooner, sometimes its later as it is with us all when life gets busy, but not once in all those transactions when he could have screwed me 100 times have I ever had cause to doubt his integrity.

When there's a deal, in my experience he honors what's been agreed to.   Until there's a deal, my pov is that he's open to anything.   I don't think that's unfair.

Just my experience but wanted to chime in.    I see this more as a case of miscommunication between the parties.     Buyatari did say he would sell "them" - plural - for what that's worth, but I can see the other side too.     Just miscommunication IMO.

Question - 

warlord, if you had some books that a couple people emailed or messaged you about, and several people were interested and said that they would take the books, what would you do?    Someone is going to be disappointed no matter what.   Would you consider it a deal when they said so it when you said so?    Just food for thought as it may help you step into the other persons shoes and understand what their thought process may or may not have been.   

Edited by Bronty