• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-Men 1

87 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

I just saw the grade given by Cgc and will post a picture as soon as I recieve it. How do I edit the listing to say grade in?

also I found out that the comic had some restoration a1 and a2..... how much do I take off of the value what considering what it's worth?

thanks in advance

Here are the graders notes

Color touch (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Cover A-2
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1/2"" x 1/2"") Spine A-2
light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover
small, multiple stain right top of back cover
very small chip out right top of front cover

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Did CCS work on the book (press/dry clean)?  CCS should've let you know about the restoration if you instructed them to.  The type of restoration you mention in the graders notes will take around 70% off the value of an unrestored universal grade.

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Who sold it to you?

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Who sold it to you?

22 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What was the grade?  The spine looked a bit worn so I'm at 6.5/7.0

I purchased it on eBay, no mention from Cgc on trimming. The grade is at 7.5.

i'm in the book 14,100.00 this was the cost plus Ccs/Cgc. I am kinda glad about the date stamped on the front. Kinda makes it unique to me?

How burried am I in the book?

its gonna be with me for some time I guess. 

Thanks for all the help everyone

7 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

So does this make it worth about 10k?

Blue label 7.5s are about 11k.  Yours is worth about $2,700 - $3,000.  Did you say you paid over $13k for a raw copy?  If the e-bay site specifically said there was no restoration then I'd definitely contact them.  How long ago did you pay?

Previous sales data does not look promising to support 10k.

An extensive professionally restored 7.5 sold last year for $2649. 

Restored 8.0s look to be fetching around $3000-$3500, and 9.0s in the $7000-$7500 ballpark.

Who was the seller?
Edited by Dick Pontoon

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-X-MEN-1-First-appearance-amp-Origin-Marvel-Comics-1963-Uncanny-/201831963285?hash=item2efe1f5a95%3Ag%3ALUoAAOSwnHZYbFn5&nma=true&si=V7s7PdnRq9bMZ1qFVLp0VM1Ywqg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557>

He specifically says the book is not restored and thinks the book is 8.5/9.0.  CGC is very tight right now so I can see why he thinks its a 8.5 but the restoration is a deal breaker (especially with that much).  I'd contact him right away and let him know the issue and see what he says.

Not a good sign that all of his other books are graded by PGX.  Makes me question why he wouldn't get a $11k book graded and makes me think PGX caught the restoration and he cracked it.  Just seem suspect on such a high value book and he references prices for a 9.0 being a steal.

I just got it 32 days ago today, I contacted eBay and they contacted him. He responded saying he had it checked at a local shop and no restoration. I told him cgc picked it up and he said sorry no refund. eBay wants me to wait 3 business days before they step in. I paid through PayPal on my credit card. 

Do I have recourse with any of them if item is not as listed?

5 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

I just got it 32 days ago today, I contacted eBay and they contacted him. He responded saying he had it checked at a local shop and no restoration. I told him cgc picked it up and he said sorry no refund. eBay wants me to wait 3 business days before they step in. I paid through PayPal on my credit card. 

Do I have recourse with any of them if item is not as listed?

Definetely.  You did the right thing since both E-Bay and Paypal will have your back (especially when it's such a high price) and I'd think you have a great case.  Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Edited by 1Cool

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I would recommend a full and complete refund, and would use the money to buy a slabbed, unrestored copy from a reputable source.

100% agree.  I'd never buy a raw copy for equal to a graded copy unless I was 100% sure of the seller and most of those sellers would be on the boards.  Always buy the graded 7.5 for 11k compared to risking 13k buying a possible 8.5 on e-bay

9 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Thanks, you made me feel better, I still like the book but not at $13,500.00

i would consider it in a 3k range. I keep everyone updated.

thanks again✌️

If eBay doesn't work out you can always go through PayPal or their credit services to process a fraudulent charge as this is definitely fraud.  The bottom line is the seller sold you an item that turned out to be the complete opposite of the described item.  You're lucky they actually mention the restoration because this is the statement that will get you your refund.  And the $3k estimate is right on so if you paid $18k for the book you're substantially in the red.

I picked it up at 13,500.00 but still way to much. I'm very happy in joining the collectors society. Everyone has been so helpful.

i do have a question though. I had a friend who lost his comic book store around 1992. I got 52  boxes of comics, lost some in a divorce but have 33 long boxes that I stored ever since. Being busy I never got to look at them. All I do is maintain them. As I've been getting them graded they are mostly 9.2 and higher. The little bit of silver is lower but the rest has been better. What would be a good strategy for them?