• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wham-o Giant Comics

15 posts in this topic

Wham-o Giant Comics

April 1967....14x21 inches, largest format ever produced....six issue subscription advertised, but #1 is only issue ever produced....Wally Wood, Lou Fine, John Stanley, Warren Tufts, Ernie Colon and others over 1,500 panels...CGC says too big to slab; I say can't you borrow from your movie poster division??

Any love here?

image_zpspkokpyjw.jpeg

1 hour ago, thecollectron said:

I have one. I keep it in a large OA size mylar.

1 hour ago, thecollectron said:

I have one. I keep it in a large OA size mylar.

:applause:Brilliant! That's what I need for it. That custom bag on mine was made by the dealer who gave it to me. It was back in high school; I put on a local convention and he gave it to me as a thanks. I think he was tired of lugging it and trying to preserve his condition, at least as much as he was grateful that a high school kid pulled off a decent small-town show.

10 hours ago, ThothAmon said:
18 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

yeah,now I want one..

Be careful what you wish for. Hard to store. 

I had a copy for years that I shlepped around from place to place as I moved.  Eventually I think I may have given it away. As I remember, it was a fun book, though.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

must be tough to locate?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.....there's always a few, but never as many as most SA titles. I've never been able to locate a print run, and I doubt a high percentage survived. Keep watching on eBay and you'll notice the majority usually have a pronounced fold like a broadsheet newspaper. 

It's a cool, unique piece of comics history, and I suspect not all that common, but I cannot yet prove it.

The store I went to the few months I was stuck in Biloxi in 1995 had a stack of several of them; at not too high a price.  I remember being quite tempted but I just had no way to store or transport the dang thing.  But the stack suggests to me there may have been at least a small find at some point.

This is very cool to stumble upon because I was literally thinking about this book yesterday. I had one when they came out but couldn't remember the title. I do recall there was a gladiator story, maybe a story with dinosaurs? Very cool book!