• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will stan sign within small spaces on cover?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I've noticed a few books here and there where Stan actually made a tiny signature because the space was constrained. How possible is it to get him to do this? Has anyone had luck? I have a book where I would like him to sign within a small space but the question is: How?

30 minutes ago, snownado said:

I've noticed a few books here and there where Stan actually made a tiny signature because the space was constrained. How possible is it to get him to do this? Has anyone had luck? I have a book where I would like him to sign within a small space but the question is: How?

Post a picture of the book and show the space you want him to autograph in. I can say this he signs very fast so fast in case that he misses instruction. He also hard of hearing at his age so it if your choice.

17 hours ago, snownado said:

This is where I was hoping he could sign. It's not really that small of an area but I wouldn't want him to sign over the X-Men logo:

58d88d3ce4efb_stansig.jpg.21dbc8bc6455fb75644b0f083beb176b.jpg

Only way to be sure he doesn't sign over the logo is to do a window bag cut out for just the white area.  I have had him sign in a space about the same size, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hey-

Yes he could do a sig that small.

Yes it is a gamble and some of the pen might easily "touch" into the X Men Logo Area. Be prepared for that but it will still look good.

Best bet is to have top of the book open....I would not make a box and risk pen hitting edge.

On March 26, 2017 at 9:02 PM, snownado said:

A few years ago I had this book signed by Stan
It had a small window for him to sign.
So, Yes is possible (Back then).

Not sure how good Stan sight is today
or if he still had a steady hand,
he is over 90...

In any case, GOOD LUCK and hurry up
he is not going to be with us longer...

WVksJto.jpg

16 hours ago, MagnusX said:

A few years ago I had this book signed by Stan
It had a small window for him to sign.
So, Yes is possible (Back then).

Not sure how good Stan sight is today
or if he still had a steady hand,
he is over 90...

In any case, GOOD LUCK and hurry up
he is not going to be with us longer...

WVksJto.jpg

That's a really great looking Stan sig... they don't really look like that anymore

Give him an extra fine point marker instead of a sharpie to sign. Will come out cleaner and make it easier for him. Try having him use a Sakura Pigma Micron, I had him use it on my splash page this past Christmas and can't see why it wouldn't work on a cover. Also the added benefit is that it is archival ink.IMG_6470.thumb.JPG.791e0619e721f0c570caa96f61990c90.JPG

Personally I think Stan's signature turns out better when you give him a smaller space. I suspect he focuses on it more. I dont know. Ive gotten probably 20+ books signed by him and the ones with window boxes turned out better. I usually give him width of about 3-4 inches and height of about 2-3 inches. Sometimes angled right where I want it.

17 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I usually give him width of about 3-4 inches and height of about 2-3 inches. Sometimes angled right where I want it.

butthead.jpg

17 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

While true, at this age, usually when they go, they go quick. So, people shouldn't wait.

My understanding outside of maybe a private signing at his place he will no longer be doing shows and his traveling to shows this year is supposed to be looked at like a retirement tour

3 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

My understanding outside of maybe a private signing at his place he will no longer be doing shows and his traveling to shows this year is supposed to be looked at like a retirement tour

Who told you that? They said last year was his "last year" of doing cons too. I think they use it as a marketing tool. But, who knows. At some point, it might be true. Last year, at NYCC they marketed it as "Stan's last NYCC". He was going to be limited to west coast only, but that hasn't happened at least as of yet.

Edited by kevhtx

2 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Who told you that? They said last year was his "last year" of doing cons too. I think they use it as a marketing tool. But, who knows. At some point, it might be true. Last year, at NYCC they marketed it as "Stan's last NYCC". He was going to be limited to west coast only, but that hasn't happened at least as of yet.

His signature is becoming unreadable now and his spot placements have been bad

10 hours ago, kevhtx said:

They said the same thing about Orlando Mega Con-  Last year was his "LAST FLORIDA APPEARANCE".  Then he is on the guest list for 2017.   I don't blame the conventions, it's probably his handlers doing this.   Or maybe he is just bored and wants to get out more.   Or maybe he just like's to keep up with buying all the Modern variants, and needs the cash xD

I got these today. I window boxed these small. I felt the graders were a tad harsh on the ASM 122 and Cap 109. I think they were about a half or full grade low, but oh well. The ASM 98 is low, but after looking at it, its not as in good shape as I thought it was.

IMG_9286.jpg