• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:
12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, tth2 said:
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, and what really gets me is when the book goes for a lot less than what I was initially intending to bid on the book in the first place.

then just put in an internet bid with your max bid some time before the auction ends.

:idea:

Yes, but that defeats the whole purpose of my strategy as I don't want to show my hand in advance and it also provides the competing bidders with plenty of time to figure out their next move after they see my max bid in play.

Yes, but all your brilliant strategy is completely useless if you don't actually put in a bid. :makepoint:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess I am just hoping that the book flies under the radar and everybody forgets about it until I can come in at the last second and scoop it up at a bargain price.  Of course, although it works with some of the other auctions, it doesn't really work that well with CC's 3-minute extended bidding auction format.  :frown:

You executed your strategy so well that YOU forgot about the auction.  lol

On 4/17/2017 at 4:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Well aware of that, but the chance of having it get there is almost assured if I put it in early.

I guess I am just hoping that the book flies under the radar and everybody forgets about it until I can come in at the last second and scoop it up at a bargain price.  Of course, although it works with some of the other auctions, it doesn't really work that well with CC's 3-minute extended bidding auction format.  :frown:

Yep, that strategy works better if you're not the bidder that forgets about it. 

Edited by nearmint

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

Or don't fall asleep sitting at the computer, waiting to place a bid, and wake up a couple minutes after it closes.  Not that that's ever happened to me.

:tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, walclark said:
5 hours ago, nearmint said:

Or don't fall asleep sitting at the computer, waiting to place a bid, and wake up a couple minutes after it closes.  Not that that's ever happened to me.

:tonofbricks:

As a result of these late night auction closings, all books are going to eventually end up owned by collectors on the west coast .. or in Australia. :)

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

As a result of these late night auction closings, all books are going to eventually end up owned by collectors on the west coast .. or in Australia. :)

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :shy:

20 hours ago, Point Five said:

lol

I recall winning my Comicconnect Zips literally at the stroke of midnight last year.  zzz

Try bidding from the UK (5 hours ahead of NY).  I have fallen asleep in more than one CC or ComicLink auction. 

53 minutes ago, 1koko said:

Try bidding from the UK (5 hours ahead of NY).  I have fallen asleep in more than one CC or ComicLink auction. 

+1 (Lisbon or Paris time in my case)

On 4/17/2017 at 4:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but that defeats the whole purpose of my strategy as I don't want to show my hand in advance and it also provides the competing bidders with plenty of time to figure out their next move after they see my max bid in play. 

My strategy is to get my max lowball bid in fairly early and hope that the last minute bidders forget to bid. 

5 hours ago, rjpb said:

My strategy is to get my max lowball bid in fairly early and hope that the last minute bidders forget to bid. 

I smell a potential for two types of services people could provide.   You could hire somebody to place bids for you when you might forget.    Or you could hire somebody to distract other bidders so they forget.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:22 PM, nearmint said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :shy:

It's called justice, since us west coasters usually miss out on stuff due to the time changes.

It really used to kill me in the old Buyer's Guide days. All copies would be mailed out the same day. The collectors closer to the mailing site would always scoop up the deals. By the time it got to the west coast, everything good was sold.

As a seller, I remember getting calls at 4:00 in the morning waking up my wife. I finally changed it to "no calls until such and such day and time" so everybody got a fair chance. A lot of east coasters didn't like it but I thought that was fair to everybody. I also kept my wife happy...

Ok, time for everybody to wake up since we now have only a few more days until the real action starts going in terms of this CC Event Auction.

Wouldn't want everybody to snooze through the whole auction and then end up with post-auction regrets and missing out on all of the books selling at all-time lows.  lol

I wish.  :wishluck: 

On 3/27/2017 at 5:58 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I also see IGB are back with at least 3 books including a Tec 35 9.8 and a Fantastic 3 9.2 :smirk:

Yes, indeed they are:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715444

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715475

On the one hand, they seem to be generating a lot of money, and yet on the other hand, not so much.

Although they are sitting there at $23K and $14 K at this point in the auction, this probably still represents only high single digit percentages of where the books would be if they were in unrestored condition.  hm

Interesting to note that the AF 15's have been slowly climbing their way up the price charts over the past couple of weeks, while the early Actions and the other GA keys appears to have taken an extended breather and resting up in advance of the big push next week.  hm