• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

On 2017-03-30 at 1:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Especially with the new grading team in place where it seems that barely perceptible creases and stress lines are most likely playing much more of factor in the determination of the final grade, as compared to before where the older traditional defects had more of an impact.  This is completely understandable since Matt's experience and background is all about pressing, so it's only natural that this defect would move right up the chart on his list of no-no's. 

What are you basing this on?

CGC to my knowledge and to my experience has not changed how they grade unpressed books.

On 2017-03-30 at 1:48 PM, lou_fine said:

And probably the reason why we are seeing a much larger percentage of books that present much nicer from a visual eye appeal point of view relative to their assigned grades, especially when compared to the past. 

If your sample size is those few GA Pre Batman Tecs you keep talking about it's not going to cut it.

The eye appeal on those books in particular is likely due to the use of tape and spine splits as was already explained.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Still waiting to see where this 'Tec 35 will end up at.

Looks like Gotham Kid's estimate is probably a good bet since the book still hasn't moved at all for the past few weeks:

On 4/27/2017 at 7:44 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/27/2017 at 7:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Any guesses as to where this CGC 3.5 copy of 'Tec 35 is going to end up at in the CC auction:  hm

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=700356

35-40K

Given how most of the early Actions did not have much movement at all during or prior to the extended auction bidding time period yesterday, this classic pre-Robin 'Tec cover just might not even hit the $35K bottom estimate here.  (shrug)

I guess it's just a matter of time before we find out.   :taptaptap:

Tec 35 closed at 33K

IGB copy at 24.5

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Sniper9311 said:

I agree, the 1.8 did look nice for the grade. I guess I should have been stronger with my bid. There are 2 restored copies up on eBay but I'd really like a non-restored copy. Hopefully there will be more opportunities for a nice looking low grade copy ?

I have a nice Batman #11 CGC 4.0 ow/w if anyone is looking for a copy - PM me.

The IGB books continue their trend towards the garbage bin.

Fantastic 3 9.2 sold for $20,500

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715475

(given initial price paid plus time put in plus slabbing ... not much of a return imo)

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

so - nowhere near the level of the big books you all have been pointing out, but a couple of CC pickups yesterday for my GA bats collection.......

bats1.jpg.1e15af7eee644a564abfbbc60ab7de09.jpgbats2.jpg.d8dd6647d8224f71a6f72d395ee55a1c.jpg

Congrats on your 2 pickups here.  (thumbsu

Especially with respect to the 'Tec 102 which appears to be much nicer relative to its assigned CGC grade of only 3.5.  Except for the staining on the back cover, it looks pretty nice for a CGC 3.5 graded book with White pages to boot. 

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially with respect to the 'Tec 102 which appears to be much nicer relative to its assigned CGC grade of only 3.5.  Except for the staining on the back cover, it looks pretty nice for a CGC 3.5 graded book with White pages to boot. 

I love books with stains on the back cover!! Heck, give me a front cover at 9.8 and a back cover at 1.0 (okay, 3.0), and I'm happy.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Agree on the 102 - the white pages + presentation were good. I even liked the stamp on the cover - gave it more character.

Both prices ( IMO ) -- were fair as well.  The 126 was more of an impulse buy as I missed out on the previous nights batmans ( have not done many CC auctions so I did not remember the hammer time, lol ) --- and others I was in the hunt for went for higher than I was willing to pay.

The beat TEC 39 - was thinking about - but not for $800+ ( just too many things wrong with the cover ) - and the 156 were on the radar for a while....

later!

Edited by W16227

20 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I love books with stains on the back cover!! Heck, give me a front cover at 9.8 and a back cover at 1.0 (okay, 3.0), and I'm happy.

and the stain is not even that bad --- the cover is for sure dirty, but I can deal with that as well on a GA book.  

might be a tear on the BC as well ( near the stain at the top center ) --- but even still -  presentation is (mostly) the FC and it is protected in the slab from tearing more.....

bat3.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I figured the Great Comics 3 would have gone higher, given how Hitler covers seem to be exploding.  That's a top five Hitler cover, imo. 

What did it go for

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:
35 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I figured the Great Comics 3 would have gone higher, given how Hitler covers seem to be exploding.  That's a top five Hitler cover, imo. 

What did it go for

$4,605.  If I didn't already have a copy I would have been interested at that price.  Seemed pretty solid for the grade (4.5 CR-OW), although the back cover shows a miscut or something.