• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

$4,605.  If I didn't already have a copy I would have been interested at that price.  Seemed pretty solid for the grade (4.5 CR-OW), although the back cover shows a miscut or something.  

I was driving home...I had a 4505 proxy so I must have been oubid by 1 increment...ugh

Let me tell you, switching between 12 different auctions all ending within 1 minute of each other is not easy...

I kept accidentally closing some windows trying to click on others...lost 1 I wanted, but got the rest I wanted...geesh, I'm exhausted!

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

:smile: and :smile:

IMG_1775.JPG.bb43ce65492c21dbea7f7cad5fe8e493.JPGIMG_1776.JPG.9aef7ff947775a7450752d5f4f135a09.JPG

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I love those early Jumbo's, #11 could easily have been a Planet cover.

+1

Great pickup on that Jumbo 11 which I strongly feel is a highly underappreciated cover.  (thumbsu

Interesting to note that Overstreet has broken out issues #9 and #10 for the longest while, but still has issue 11 lumped in the same valuation grouping as the less classic and less interesting Eisner covers. 

On 5/2/2017 at 11:42 AM, walclark said:
On 5/2/2017 at 10:30 AM, Straw-Man said:

y'all bid up my g.a. caps tonite!!!

p.s.  15, 35, 56, 65 & 66.

Nice books.  Hope they do well.

Looks like they did alright, especially with respect to the Cap 35 and 56.

I guess it doesn't hurt when they are listed as the Highest graded copies.  (thumbsu

On 3/27/2017 at 10:25 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What a beauty More Fun Comics #56 CGC 9.2!!

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=720102

This one should definitely be interesting to watch, as it's not only the highest graded copy to date, but also a White Page Church copy to boot.  :cloud9:

Only real drawback is that it's part of the More Fun run which is another one of the 2nd tier DC runs that is not exactly setting the marketplace on fire, except for the movie related hyped More Fun 73.  But since More Fun 56 is considered to be a classic Dr. Fate cover and a key book, I guess we'll find out if this apparent momentum shift back towards some of the long time traditional keys will continue to take hold, as MF 56 definitely qualifies as one of these traditional DC keys.  hm  (shrug)

Yes indeed, let's hope this copy can reverse the downward trend in prices that this book seems to have suffered from 2002 through to its last reported through Heritage in 2012.  :wishluck:

Well, looks like this copy of More Fun 56 finally managed to put a stop to the sliding of prices which this book had experienced from 2002 through to 2012.  I guess there must have been some action on this book either near the end of this auction or during the extended bidding time period since I saw it at only $21K earlier in the day.   (thumbsu

Of course, it always helps to give it a push when it's a Church copy with beautiful White pages.  :luhv:

Interesting to note there's only 10 Church books in this entire auction, which seems to be a much lower than normal number as compared to some of their past CC auctions.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I love those early Jumbo's, #11 could easily have been a Planet cover.

Yes, I think there's a note about that in GCD. If so, then it might have been slated to grace the cover of Planet #1, which was released pretty much the same month. Maybe Eisner didn't think it looked enough like a Flash Gordon space opera. 

9 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Mega congrats man!!(thumbsu

Thanks Rick! Someone made me sweat out the #9 a bit. Though the reasonable hammer on #11 helped offset it.  Was also gunning for the Mystery Men 6, but dropped out late; good news anyhow for my spousal relations!

8 hours ago, comicjack said:

Your starting a run !

Thanks Jack -- with my #10, it does complete that short Jumbo run by Fine. (Though it looks like Fine worked with Eisner on the cover of Jumbo 8, so maybe that book needs to go somewhere on my want list.)  A "group shot" should be coming in the near future. 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Great pickup on that Jumbo 11 which I strongly feel is a highly underappreciated cover.  (thumbsu

Interesting to note that Overstreet has broken out issues #9 and #10 for the longest while, but still has issue 11 lumped in the same valuation grouping as the less classic and less interesting Eisner covers. 

Thanks Lou. I agree (of course). Maybe if we send Overstreet a strongly worded memo, or better yet, a copy of #11, he'll reconsider!

On 5/2/2017 at 9:01 PM, Gotham Kid said:

The IGB books continue their trend towards the garbage bin.

Fantastic 3 9.2 sold for $20,500

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715475

(given initial price paid plus time put in plus slabbing ... not much of a return imo)

That was my former copy. I bought it as a rag from Filter and had Kenny restore it. Turned out nicely, but I let go of it because I decided extensive resto was too much for me. It popped up on Instagram awhile back and I expressed interest in it, but the owner said it was definitely not for sale. :eyeroll:

No way I was going to bid on it in its current state. 

40 minutes ago, october said:
On 5/2/2017 at 10:01 PM, Gotham Kid said:

The IGB books continue their trend towards the garbage bin.

Fantastic 3 9.2 sold for $20,500

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715475

(given initial price paid plus time put in plus slabbing ... not much of a return imo)

That was my former copy. I bought it as a rag from Filter and had Kenny restore it. Turned out nicely, but I let go of it because I decided extensive resto was too much for me. It popped up on Instagram awhile back and I expressed interest in it, but the owner said it was definitely not for sale. :eyeroll:

No way I was going to bid on it in its current state. 

So they extensived resto the extensive resto? hm

Maybe a new designation is needed for that!

13 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Let me tell you, switching between 12 different auctions all ending within 1 minute of each other is not easy...

I kept accidentally closing some windows trying to click on others...lost 1 I wanted, but got the rest I wanted...geesh, I'm exhausted!

Yeah, I was in the same situation last night.  The one thing that makes it workable for me is that CC usually sends out the "you've been outbid" e-mails instantaneously, so that typically gives me time to get back in with a higher a bid if I want to.  Won a few back and forths in stoppage time and threw in the towel on a couple of others.  I got run up on a couple of books beyond what my snipe would have been had the auctions been on CLink -- auction fever! 

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

:smile: and :smile:

IMG_1775.JPG.bb43ce65492c21dbea7f7cad5fe8e493.JPGIMG_1776.JPG.9aef7ff947775a7450752d5f4f135a09.JPG

Can't just take one and leave one for the other children, can we? :taptaptap:

The 11 in particular was a great pickup.  :)